• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Is this theft?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is this theft?"

Collapse

• BoredBloke
    replied
    It's all about what is reasonable. I don't object to the banks making a charge to cover their costs. Would you object if Blockbusters hit you with a £30 charge because you brought your DVD back a day late? By the same token, I don't think it is fair that the banks can charge somebody £35 to provide a service which is estimated to be less than a fiver.

But I'm happy as I got my charges back!

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    You lot don't half moan. With UBS in Switzerland, there's a monthly fee, and if your assets are below CHF10'000 ( about £4000 ) there are transactional charges. There's a tiny amount of interest paid.

In France, IIRC, if you exceed your overdraft limit, or go overdrawn without permission, then your account will be frozen. They take it very seriously there.

You know the rules when you opened the account, then you cry "foul" when you break the rules.

Leave a comment:

• Archangel
    replied
    Originally posted by 51st State View Post
    Yes, well done pal.

You and the oiks like you get the shedloads of dosh back that you've spent in charges over the last six years, it costs the banks billions, and the rest of us have to wave goodbye to the free personal banking model that we've enjoyed for 20-some years. All in order to subsidise you tools that can't help yourselves from spending money that's not yours, and then whining about being charged for it.

I can't wait for your house to be re-possessed, you short sighted fool.
    agree 100%

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
    Then don't use Natwest??

I pay a £15 fee on my account but for that I get mobile phone insurance, travel insurance and AA cover plus a bunch of other stuff I don't use but those 3 make it more than worth it. Infact because of my circumstances the travel insurance alone would make it good value.
    Yes but you are still paying the bank £180 a year for a few benefits which are not really costing the bank anything like £180 a year.

The reason the banks can get away with the sh*te rates is because most people don't bother checking the rates or can be arsed to change banks. if more people voted with their feet then the market would be more competitive and these crap rates would die
    But most people still use these accounts. These pay extra accounts are a more recent move. The vast majority of people use these standard accounts where they effectively give up their interest but think that they are getting free banking. As I said before there is a reason why our high street banks make so much money.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    You won't go far as a contractor with that attitude m'boy.

There's nothing worse than a show-off duck!
    Grrrr - but ah I'm not sneaky when being greedy...

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    nothing but greed to blame.
    You won't go far as a contractor with that attitude m'boy.

There's nothing worse than a show-off duck!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    How long do they take to clear cheques paid in? Many moons ago I tried Nationwide Anglia and there it took 10 days for money paid in by cheque to be available. This was a particular swine when I was setting off one Monday for a new contract and they rang up demanding cash to honour my mortgage payment.
    They are not allowed to do that anymore. There is the new 2-4-6 rules which means on the 2nd day the bank has to pay you interest on the cheque, on the 4th day you can withdraw funds from the cheque and after the 6th day the cheque has to be cleared.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    How long do they take to clear cheques paid in? Many moons ago I tried Nationwide Anglia and there it took 10 days for money paid in by cheque to be available. This was a particular swine when I was setting off one Monday for a new contract and they rang up demanding cash to honour my mortgage payment.
    Too long probably.

The banks are up the creak without a paddle and now there reeping what they sow, nothing but greed to blame.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    It is A&L!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by 2uk View Post
    I wonder if you can ask the bank to prevent overdrafting - i.e refuse transactions.
    RBS use to do something like that to my account when I was a student. It wasn't fun going to the supermarket and finding out that the cheque you had put in hadn't cleared.....

Then they brought Natwest and realised there was more money in the Natwest model.

Leave a comment:

• 51st State
    replied
    Then don't use Natwest??

I pay a £15 fee on my account but for that I get mobile phone insurance, travel insurance and AA cover plus a bunch of other stuff I don't use but those 3 make it more than worth it. Infact because of my circumstances the travel insurance alone would make it good value.
    The reason the banks can get away with the sh*te rates is because most people don't bother checking the rates or can be arsed to change banks. if more people voted with their feet then the market would be more competitive and these crap rates would die.
    You are Howard Brown from the Halifax adverts, and I claim my free mortgage arrears counselling session.

Leave a comment:

• MrRobin
    replied
    The reason the banks can get away with the sh*te rates is because most people don't bother checking the rates or can be arsed to change banks. if more people voted with their feet then the market would be more competitive and these crap rates would die.

Leave a comment:

• MrRobin
    replied
    Then don't use Natwest??

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    There are plenty of current accounts that pay interest nowadays. Mine pays about 4% but there are a few about at the mo that pay 8%
    At the HSBC the only current account which gives 8% is one involving a £12.95 monthly charge. So here you pay extra to get a higher rate.

Nicked from Nat West

Current Plus account, Step account & Cash account
    Gross per year 0.10%
    AER 0.10%
    Net per year 0.08%

Advantage Gold account

Gross per year 0.25%
    AER 0.25%
    Net per year 0.20%

£12 a month, charged to your Advantage Gold account

Leave a comment:

• 51st State
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    So come on then. What rate of interest does your 'free' curent account give you?

There is a reason you get sod all interest out of it - becasue it's not free!
    Mine pays 6.17 gross on credit balances of up to £2.5k.

Other banks pay up to 8%, but are tied into gimmicks and are short term offers.

I tend to keep around this figure in my current account, the rest gets swept into various other accounts.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X