• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is this theft?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 51st State View Post
    Absolute bull tulip.

Of course banking is free, for the vast majority of people.

Unless, of course, you break the terms of your credit agreement, and then there are penalties which subsidise the charge free banking for the people that don't.

If you don't like it, don't get into the position where you pay charges. Easy, eh?
    So come on then. What rate of interest does your 'free' curent account give you?

There is a reason you get sod all interest out of it - becasue it's not free!
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
      So come on then. What rate of interest does your 'free' curent account give you?

There are plenty of current accounts that pay interest nowadays. Mine pays about 4% but there are a few about at the mo that pay 8%
      It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by Xil3 View Post
        It's not that I can't manage money... I simply wasn't aware of the fact that they did that when I originally came here.
        Originally posted by Xil3 View Post
        I'd rather pay a higher service fee and not have to worry about accidentally going over my limit all the time.

Sounds like you can't manage money to me.........
        Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post

Mine pays 6.17 gross on credit balances of up to £2.5k.

Other banks pay up to 8%, but are tied into gimmicks and are short term offers.

I tend to keep around this figure in my current account, the rest gets swept into various other accounts.
          If she weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood. And therefore a witch!

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
            There are plenty of current accounts that pay interest nowadays. Mine pays about 4% but there are a few about at the mo that pay 8%
            At the HSBC the only current account which gives 8% is one involving a £12.95 monthly charge. So here you pay extra to get a higher rate.

Nicked from Nat West

Current Plus account, Step account & Cash account
            Gross per year 0.10%
            AER 0.10%
            Net per year 0.08%

Advantage Gold account

Gross per year 0.25%
            AER 0.25%
            Net per year 0.20%

£12 a month, charged to your Advantage Gold account
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Then don't use Natwest??

I pay a £15 fee on my account but for that I get mobile phone insurance, travel insurance and AA cover plus a bunch of other stuff I don't use but those 3 make it more than worth it. Infact because of my circumstances the travel insurance alone would make it good value.

Comment

The reason the banks can get away with the sh*te rates is because most people don't bother checking the rates or can be arsed to change banks. if more people voted with their feet then the market would be more competitive and these crap rates would die.

Comment

Then don't use Natwest??

I pay a £15 fee on my account but for that I get mobile phone insurance, travel insurance and AA cover plus a bunch of other stuff I don't use but those 3 make it more than worth it. Infact because of my circumstances the travel insurance alone would make it good value.
                  The reason the banks can get away with the sh*te rates is because most people don't bother checking the rates or can be arsed to change banks. if more people voted with their feet then the market would be more competitive and these crap rates would die.
                  You are Howard Brown from the Halifax adverts, and I claim my free mortgage arrears counselling session.
                  If she weighs the same as a duck, she's made of wood. And therefore a witch!

Comment

Originally posted by 2uk View Post
                    I wonder if you can ask the bank to prevent overdrafting - i.e refuse transactions.
                    RBS use to do something like that to my account when I was a student. It wasn't fun going to the supermarket and finding out that the cheque you had put in hadn't cleared.....

Then they brought Natwest and realised there was more money in the Natwest model.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      It is A&L!
                      How long do they take to clear cheques paid in? Many moons ago I tried Nationwide Anglia and there it took 10 days for money paid in by cheque to be available. This was a particular swine when I was setting off one Monday for a new contract and they rang up demanding cash to honour my mortgage payment.
                      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                      X