• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Forum Changes

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Forum Changes"

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    Have a look at this forum.

http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk

Combines the more modern style of this site with the less complicated look of old CUK and without all the problems. If there is a skin like that it might address the various complaints above which mostly seem to boil down to it being over cluttered and not very work friendly.

What you really want of course is a web page cloning method. Contractors upload the company web page and CUK automatically copies the appearance and colour scheme. With one click, boring company mission statements, pep talks from the chairman and fuzzy photographs of the company HQ in Middlesborough instantly replace dodgy pictures of threaded.

PS The add avatar image by link does not work. Have cut and pasted directly from address box and tried both jpg and gif.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 15 July 2005, 20:17.

Leave a comment:

• sgrollitt
    replied

Well I don't like it and I won't be using it until it's fixed.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Would be nice if you enabled the quick reply boxes.

Leave a comment:

• ahardy66
    replied
    It would be an improvement if you could use the template for showing messages which I can see right now as I type (in the reply to topic / thread window).

This layout uses far less space than the primary view and it is just as readable, if not more so, without needing so much scrolling.

Leave a comment:

• Clog II The Avenger
    replied
    New Forum

The EZ Board layout was fine for use at work because if was not too obvious that one was on the board, a quick alt tab and back was fine. This new layout looks more like a forum for Xbox users or even a dating site.

I will certainly use this site at lot less until changes can be made to be more text based.

Leave a comment:

• simes
    replied
    Originally posted by administrator
    As suggested by several members you can turn Avatars and Images off in your user settings. Click on USER CP in the top navigation, click Edit Options in left hand menu and then the third section down holds check boxes for Avatar and Image display options.
    CUK Admin
    Yup, doing this does save on all the blank space you get with this board.

Otherwise, I think it is much better, cleaner and more professional. Two thumbs up.

Leave a comment:

• HankWangford
    replied
    CUK Admin

Your main topic pages are over 80k in size....quite hefty. Do you need to have the title attributes for each link.........i know it's a nice feature but adds bloat. If the person wants to read the message then they can click into it
    Last edited by HankWangford; 12 July 2005, 14:22.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    My personal favorite is Debian Sarge 64Bit

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Not quite

Originally posted by AtW
    Gee dude, you seem to like Linux, which says everything about your lack of taste.
    Actually I prefer zOS and zVM along with zLinux. I just use Linux (or Unixware) as a base OS for my software as Windows is deemed not reliable enough.

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied
    Ezboard was favoured over and above what we already know - background colour, spacing & Avatars so we can look at these issues in addition.
    Think those are all the major ones (though not sure if including in "spaceing" whats to the sides of the posts texts..if not include it)

Think to get why people don't like this board so much is you need to see it from our point of view not from just yours and then find better balance between the two

Sure you want to promote the main site,generate advertising revenue and look nice but we want to read what everyone has to say (even chico's insane drivel)

Currently though the focus is on your wants and not ours.

We definatly don't need the whole CUK navigation in this area, if we want to see that we just need a link to the main site.
    Nor do we need massive spaceing or the oversized divider images

And because of the nature of this board many are reading it at work so they want something that is most definatly not eye catching at a distance

So i would recomend a template that takes these considerations into account, sure leave the "pretty one" as the defalut but give regulars some alternatives more suited to their needs

Oh and more smiles (and better ones) please, just do a google search, free smile packs are dime a dozen (just advoid the large/oversized ones)

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt
    I'm with DA on this one. I like it.
    Gee dude, you seem to like Linux, which says everything about your lack of taste.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I like it.

I'm with DA on this one. I like it.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Pinto
    Does that mean you would prefer the Navigation bar and ads below it on the left, rather than the right?
    Personally I am not too bothered since I have nice high resolution on 18'' TFT, so that fixed width size bar does not dominate. But i think it cuts into usable space for those with smaller monitors.

Leave a comment:

• Pinto
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    No, but I did research for high trafficed e-commerce sites.

Go to Amazon and notice that navigation bar is not on the right. They sure have stuff on the right, but key nagivation bar, something that is most likely to be used by everyone is NOT on the right.

This does not mean its always correct, but its highly unusual to have navigation bar on the right rather than left.
    Does that mean you would prefer the Navigation bar and ads below it on the left, rather than the right? That could work, but because this is a forum the thread/user info somewhere in the middle would look crap.

By the way, in my opinion, Amazon is a complete mess. Too much info at a time!

Leave a comment:

• Pinto
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish
    To add my little bit, I would say the stuff on the right is fine. What I have a problem with is the box for user info. It takes up so much room that posts of one line fill half the screen. I would prefer an option where you could turn off the little pictures under peoples names and get more posts per screen.
    Read the starter post of this thread. Somewhere in there, it tells you how to switch off the Avatars ("little pictures"). And don't worry, I didn't know they were called avatars either

Leave a comment:

Working...
X