• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "(Daily Doom) UK on a knife edge"

Collapse

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    I am relieved that my mortgage (which is less than most people borrow to buy a car) is paid off next January. I am concerned about the future prospects for my teenaged kids though.

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Then

WE ARE DOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED, DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Then the north isn't far behind in property prices now. A 4 bed detached (the current pinnacle of common housing up here) is now well over £200k, some newbuild boxes are closer to £250k.

So because the average salary up north is still some way behind down south, it's no longer cheaper to live up north!

Before the housing boom a 4 bed detached was under £100k up here, whilst down south (e.g. St Albans, on the mainline into London) they were around £250k IIRC.

No wonder there's a migration from north to south.
    In the north west many areas are now more expensive than east Herts, that area hasn't really gone up like some of the South East. I think over the last few years there has been a heavy shift from South to North, maybe it's just starting to reverse again. But, I hear lots of southern accents round here these days.
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 20 February 2008, 16:13.

Leave a comment:

• interested
    replied
    What he said.

Or should that be What I said!?
    1) I absolutely don't want to live in the sticks and commute - it will take me 10 mins to get into the City from this new place.
    2) It's not a bedsit - it's a very nice flat
    3) I did think about renting but I'm fed up of it - want to own my own place and not be a hobo...

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko View Post
    Then

WE ARE BOOOOOOOOOOMED, BOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!!
    not necessarily

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Bishops Stortford was the best place to live according to one of the broadsheets, or maybe it was the Mail. Based on house prices, schools, transport. Still can get a 4 bed house for less than 300k, and the train to london liverpool street takes 40 mins, stanstead is on the doorstep, but then again so is 'Rlow

Then the north isn't far behind in property prices now. A 4 bed detached (the current pinnacle of common housing up here) is now well over £200k, some newbuild boxes are closer to £250k.

So because the average salary up north is still some way behind down south, it's no longer cheaper to live up north!

Before the housing boom a 4 bed detached was under £100k up here, whilst down south (e.g. St Albans, on the mainline into London) they were around £250k IIRC.

No wonder there's a migration from north to south.

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    Rather consider who gives the Bank of England the money - The Central Banks - they are the real power-brokers in the World today.

They can manufacture money out of nothing - and charge interest for the privlige !

That's what I thought, seeing as it's all virtual money in electronic form. They just add a few trillion to their balance (I assume they bank with themselves!), loan it to the government to sort out NR. The government defaults on the loan. The bank writes it off because they never lost the money anyway. Problem solved.

So what's the fuss all about?

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Bishops Stortford was the best place to live according to one of the broadsheets, or maybe it was the Mail. Based on house prices, schools, transport. Still can get a 4 bed house for less than 300k, and the train to london liverpool street takes 40 mins, stanstead is on the doorstep, but then again so is 'Rlow

What he said.

Yes it should be what you said!

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Why didn't you rent? Most rents are subsidised by BTL landlords these days, so often you can live in a nicer gaff than a interest only mortgage would buy.
    1/3 of a millions pounds for a bedsit sounds ridiculous.

What he said.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko View Post
    Unless you meant a train packed like a sardines box of smelly commuters on a 1 hour average delay you must be living in another country.
    Like the tube isn't.....

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
    It takes about an hour to get from the outskirts into Central London anyway so why not just live a bit further away and spend 45 mins on a fast train?
    Unless you meant a train packed like a sardines box of smelly commuters on a 1 hour average delay you must be living in another country.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    I suppose that means the government will do all it can to sustain an artificial housing boom, until it's managed to offload NR some years down the line.

Is it possible for the UK to go bankrupt? What happens when the next bank comes unstuck after investing in dodgy american products?

Where do they magic all these billions from? Does the Bank of England just issue more money out of thin air?

Rather consider who gives the Bank of England the money - The Central Banks - they are the real power-brokers in the World today.

They can manufacture money out of nothing - and charge interest for the privlige !

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by ferret View Post
    I don't see many 4 beds for £295k in my region. Not in areas you would want to live in anyway...
    Try Here or you could try Here or many other locations. All you need to do is be near a major station that is on a main line into London.

It takes about an hour to get from the outskirts into Central London anyway so why not just live a bit further away and spend 45 mins on a fast train?

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Then

WE ARE BOOOOOOOOOOMED, BOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by interested View Post
    I've just bought a nice 1 bed in Zone 2 for £295K but it's about 90% LTV and it's not stretching me too much....but I'm still a bit nervous about the market generally, although I haven't bought with an expectation that I'm going to make a ton of money, I've bought because I need somewhere to live.

Why didn't you rent? Most rents are subsidised by BTL landlords these days, so often you can live in a nicer gaff than a interest only mortgage would buy.
    1/3 of a millions pounds for a bedsit sounds ridiculous.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X