• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Scots trying to get Berwick on Tweed"

Collapse

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    The results of a poll have suggested that 80 per cent of the residents agree and would rather be ruled by Alex Salmond, the Scottish First Minister, than by Gordon Brown, the Scottish Prime Minister.

At best - an irrelevant point.

The residents opinion does not matter - it is an affair of the State -for example the majority of Shetlanders would rather be part of Norway -that would mean we would lose our precious Oil Fields .

For tax reasons I would rather be ruled by Monaco - however the loss to UK economy would so devastating that this will never happen.

Send out the Tanks - I say.
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 13 February 2008, 12:34.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    The results of a poll have suggested that 80 per cent of the residents agree and would rather be ruled by Alex Salmond, the Scottish First Minister, than by Gordon Brown, the Scottish Prime Minister.
    If only towns in England could cede from the Kingdom and elect not to be ruled by any Scottish cooont.
    We could perhaps resurrect the Heptarchy ....

I blame Egbert - little known brother of Dilbert

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Just for balance

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    Perhaps nowadays we are civilised enough to allow the people of Berwick to decide.
    Sorry, hadn't noticed http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...berwick113.xml
    The results of a poll have suggested that 80 per cent of the residents agree and would rather be ruled by Alex Salmond, the Scottish First Minister, than by Gordon Brown.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Oh God not the Barnet Formula again. This is an arithmetical calculation for the process of giving back to Scotland a part (<100%) of what Scotland pays to the Treasury. It is not a gift from the long-suffering English to the freeloading Scots.
    Last edited by expat; 11 February 2008, 17:26.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Here we go again back into Scottish mythology, perpetuating Scotland being constantly invaded. Scotland won its independence way back in the middle ages since then it was either independent, or "ruling" England via the Stewarts, or opted for the Union because of the greedy Scottish gentry and just a reminder that at Culloden there were more Scots fighting in the "british" army than for Bonny Prince Charlie, on whose side Englishmen were fighting, and English people were also slaughtered after the rebellion.

So what you mean expat is the single period of English rule.

You can check this all out in the history department at Edinburgh university, ...and I do have Scottish family
    That never stopped anyone I know from saying something stupid, myself included .

I was actually referring to periods of English or Scottish rule of Berwick, not English rule of Scotland, but since you raise the subject.... I do know the history, and while your individual facts are quite correct, your overall view is not.

Scotland didn't come into being by winning its independence, rather it was formed from smaller kingdoms somewhat before the middle ages, and then had to defend its independence, which it did successfully with little help from its abysmal nobility, until they finally sold it.

The fact that Scotland defended itself successfully from invasion is not the same as saying that it was not invaded.

Leave a comment:

• someone has my name
    replied
    Originally posted by daviejones View Post
    Hmm...Glasgow...not a nice place IMO...Edinburgh is far nicer...

And Ayrshire.. better than both!

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Nor wit yours.
    Try next time to lace your irony with a smidgen of humour if you don't want to be taken for the one-dimensional gobshyte you clearly show yourself to be.
    Glad you agree.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Irony never was your strong point was it?
    Nor wit yours.
    Try next time to lace your irony with a smidgen of humour if you don't want to be taken for the one-dimensional gobshyte you clearly show yourself to be.

Leave a comment:

• daviejones
    replied
    Ironing -

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Thanks for the input churchill. Relevant as ever. Keep it up.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Hmmm, must be, it says so on Wikipedia - word for word!
    Thanks for the input churchill. Relevant as ever. Keep it up.

Leave a comment:

• daviejones
    replied
    That is my point...most of the stuff on there is tulip...

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by daviejones View Post
    King John's reign has been traditionally characterised as one of the most disastrous in English history

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    ...ah you mean we should pop down the library and look it up in books.

Well go ahead Davie, and thanks for volunteering.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X