• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: AtW

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "AtW"

Collapse

• WageSlave
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    IRA, ETA and others had #1 priority -- to save themselves from blast, this limited what they can do, plus they had habit of warning the police to avoid casualties. New wave of terrorism is nothing like that, and it was certainly caused by Iraq because before Iraq this country had pretty much neutral position in regards to fight between USA/Israel and the Islamists.
    That's because the primary objectives of the IRA were to eliminate military and political figures, and to create as much disruption as possible (rather than kill as many civilians as possible). By contrast, Islamic terrorists want to kill as many as possible, and if that includes innocent Muslims, then so be it.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Chico
    Terrorism in the UK and Spain started after the Iraq War? Oh dear - hmm let me think.... our home grown Nail bomber, the IRA, Spain's ETA
    IRA, ETA and others had #1 priority -- to save themselves from blast, this limited what they can do, plus they had habit of warning the police to avoid casualties. New wave of terrorism is nothing like that, and it was certainly caused by Iraq because before Iraq this country had pretty much neutral position in regards to fight between USA/Israel and the Islamists.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco
    yup its all the chavs faults. They voted liebour back in and then they sit at home getting free benefits while us the hard working tax payers who support thier miserable little lives get blown up.

Makes me sick, let start our own jihad on chavs!!!!!

Do you really think Chavs go out to vote?

Leave a comment:

• WageSlave
    replied
    Chavs do indeed vote for Blair. But who do you think votes Tory?

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    yup its all the chavs faults. They voted liebour back in and then they sit at home getting free benefits while us the hard working tax payers who support thier miserable little lives get blown up.

Makes me sick, let start our own jihad on chavs!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    Perhaps when we voted our government back into power a couple of months ago, fully aware that they had fabricated the grounds for the invasion, I guess we the electorate became enemies too.
    They cant accuse me of being the enemy with that one I voted for the BNP.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Re: Rubbish

Originally posted by Chico
    The logic of the peaceniks is that if we did not go to War in Iraq then there would be no Muslim terrorist threat.
    No Chico, I think the logic is a reduced Muslim terrorist threat.

There will always be a terrorist threat in any western country, but when we invaded Iraq it gave extremists another big stick to beat the UK with.

Perhaps when we voted our government back into power a couple of months ago, fully aware that they had fabricated the grounds for the invasion, I guess we the electorate became enemies too.

Leave a comment:

• Chico
    replied
    Rubbish

Terrorism in the UK and Spain started after the Iraq War? Oh dear - hmm let me think.... our home grown Nail bomber, the IRA, Spain's ETA etc the British Muslims who went to the Taliban training camps did so long before Sept 11 - they were preaching their hate since the 80's and the only reason no atrocities were committed was beacuse they were prevented. According to the MET 6 major attacks were prevented on UK soil. The logic of the peaceniks is that if we did not go to War in Iraq then there would be no Muslim terrorist threat. A few keywords for you to put into Google - Jihad, Infidel, Abu Hamza, Sheikh Omar Bakri etc etc ... and sort it by date.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Web via vodaphone 2 pricy 4 cheapskate me. So xcuse shorthnd. Atw=sensible, DA=complete bolX as usual, accusing all of saying what they have never said.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Asymmetric warfare

Ever since 11 September 2001, military and political analysts have mooted the concept of "asymmetric warfare" to explain the rise of suicide bombing.

In classical terms, it means that rebel insurgents unable to fight a conventional war have to resort to guerrilla tactics against powerful states.

These methods range from suicide bombings to weapons of mass destruction, terrorism and cyber warfare.

In sum, the current spate of suicide bombings is an expression of desperation by groups unable to reach their political and military objectives through conventional means, analysts say.

Bombers targets symbols of power

And whilst being a cost-effective means of war - compared to a large-scale military operation - many argue that the tactic has usually not brought the desired results.

To illustrate, they point to the election of the right-wing Likud Party of Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon in response to the Palestinian bombs.

But, as the assassinated leader of Hamas once argued, the Palestinian militants would continue using suicide bombers.

"Once we have warplanes and missiles, then we can think of changing our means of legitimate self-defence," Sheikh Ahmed Yassin was quoted as saying in the book Dying to Kill: The Allure of Suicide Terror. "
    Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/4677303.stm

So see Dodgy, it was not just my view -- I suppose these analysits are anti-West right?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek
    Once repatriation has been organised, money earmarked for World Poverty and various Projects around the World is realigned to the UK for internal development and self-sufficiency.
    Errr, BBG, I think you are seriously wrong thinking that many if any at all of the ex-immigrants would prefer to return to Pakistan, Nigeria etc. Most of them would prefer to stay here, in fact most of them are British citizens already so I can't see how you can even ask them to decide whether to leave or not.

Problem of this century is that a very small determined group of people can seriously disrupt life or even take many lifes in pretty much any place.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    That's quite clearly so, but why do you think that is ?

I would suggest that it is because the West perceive the East as a major threat to the West's way of life, and their plans for the rest of the world. Hence, the East are fighting back.

Now...here comes the real kicker..

You see, the East perceive the West as a major threat to the East's way of life, and their plans for the rest of the world. Hence, the West are fighting back.

The bitter irony and simplicity is laid bare.

It's when people of both sides layer reasons and cite this and that as being the root causes, that the waters became muddied.

It can only end when one side destroys the other, which is a less desirable solution than both sides packing up, going home, and not playing with each other any more.

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied
    Of corse it's not limited to the west. Hell can see many on the muslim side acting same way.

But problem is in the west is that they have the will, power and mindset to attempt to force their way on others and are currently doing so.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Indeed NSW, but I think you'll find that trait is not just limited to the West.

I am sure there is a power group based on (religious/ethnic/cultural/whatever) views in country X that does not agree with another power group based on (religious/ethnic/cultural/whatever) views in country X, where X = any country in the world.

If it's not religion, it's race, if it's not race, then it's social status, if it's not social status, then it's the colour of your hair, if it's not the colour of your hair, it's the type of biscuits you eat, etc..etc..etc...ad infiniteum.

Way of life, beliefs, whatever, cross politcal and geographical boundaries, and sometimes meet the opposite views head on, coming the other way.

Leave a comment:

• Not So Wise
    replied
    It all boils down to mutual incompatability with each others views.
    Yes and also a western mentality of a near religious quality that their way is not only better than everyone else's but that anyones else way is wrong.
    Last edited by Not So Wise; 8 July 2005, 01:38.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X