• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How one makes themselves not care about something ?"

Collapse

• El_Diablo
    replied
    Oh who cares.

Leave a comment:

• Denny
    replied
    Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
    Stockholm Syndrome is the description given to the apparent attachment a hostage has to the person who has taken them hostage. The most famous example of this is where Patty Hearst was "apparently" abducted by a violent sect and then a few months later was caught on camera helping them to commit a crime (bank robbery I think it was).
    I know what it means, Kathy, but the term is adopted for other co-dependencies as well.

Leave a comment:

• 2uk
    replied
    Originally posted by Marina View Post
    Maybe s/he has obsessive-compulsive disorder.
    Yeah , I think I have that. But I don't wanna cure it since I saw a movie with Leo Dicaprio and he reached heights because of that.

Where u from Marina ?

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Come and sub for me on this gig. I stopped careing about it weeks ago and I guarentee you will too.

Leave a comment:

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    Originally posted by Denny View Post
    Stockholm Syndrome.
    Stockholm Syndrome is the description given to the apparent attachment a hostage has to the person who has taken them hostage. The most famous example of this is where Patty Hearst was "apparently" abducted by a violent sect and then a few months later was caught on camera helping them to commit a crime (bank robbery I think it was).

Leave a comment:

• Marina
    replied
    Aren't we assuming the thing cared about by the OP is important? Maybe s/he has obsessive-compulsive disorder, and spends two hours a day running in and out of the kitchen to keep checking the gas cooker is off, or returns to the house five times before each journey to double check the front door is locked.

If so, the best way to avoid worry about trivia is to remember, and the best way to do that is to associate it with an event perhaps involving a bit of pain, such as pinching the back of the hand hard after closing and locking the front door.

In other words, OCD sufferers could adapt our ancestors' custom of beating the bounds or "perambulating the parish" to give it its fancy name. Before the days of GPS or even maps, once a year the vicar and half the village, including the kids, would troop round the parish boundary and at key points such as bridges or the corner of a field, one of the kids would be whacked with a birch by someone who would shout at the same time "Cursed be he who moves his neighbour's boundary!"

Wasn't sadistic or anything, just a way of impressing on the young peoples' memory where the boundaries were, and the custom was probably thousands of years old.
    Last edited by Marina; 7 February 2008, 13:25.

Leave a comment:

• Denny
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    But in your analogy the person who does nothing still cares, they choose not to act on it. Which is not the same as the indifferent person. The question was how do you make yourself not care, not how do you ignore your feelings. If it requires a conscious act to ignore something, then you do care about it. A person who genuinely doesn't care wouldn't even think about it.

And I thought "Stockhold Syndrome" was a wrestling move.
    Stockholm Syndrome.

What I was saying is that 'care' is not just a feeling, it's an action based on a feeling or else it's an action based on what society deems as 'care' that may not be held by a particular individual. If you saw a child being molested or ill treated but didn't particularly like children that much, or even a particular child it was happening to, you would have a legal duty to report a crime.

So there are two dimensions to it to make 'care' valuable. Otherwise, it's worthless. Once that definition is taken aboard your argument crumbles away.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Or, you laugh aloud, hope the owner gets prosecuted for not keeping the dog under control and give thanks that there's one less mutt carpping all over the pavements and parks.
    Oi! Watch it duckface!

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    For example, a dog has just been run over - you care about what has happened because you love dogs and you know that a crime has been committed and feel the animal's pain and hate the driver for driving off and hope he gets caught and prosecuted.
    Or, you laugh aloud, hope the owner gets prosecuted for not keeping the dog under control and give thanks that there's one less mutt carpping all over the pavements and parks.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

my Sister works at Slough - and agrees with you totally.
    I take it all back - you just need one of these to live or work there:

http://www.balconyshirts.co.uk/index...&productid=304

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    It's only a kiwi ffs.. get a grip woman

Just kiddin
    Kiwis are an endangered species.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    Caring or not caring is as much about conscious action as it is about feeling. For example, a kiwi has just been run over - you don't care about what has happened because you tolerate kiwis and you know that a crime has only technically been committed and don't really care about the kiwi's pain and don't blame the driver for driving off and hope he gets more kiwis on the rest of his journey.
    It's only a kiwi ffs.. get a grip woman

Just kiddin

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Caring or not caring is as much about conscious action as it is about feeling. For example, a dog has just been run over - you care about what has happened because you love dogs and you know that a crime has been committed and feel the animal's pain and hate the driver for driving off and hope he gets caught and prosecuted. But if you don't do anything to help the dog get to a vet or else arrange it to be put out of it's misery, is that any better than to be someone who was indifferent to the dog's plight and just walked on by without a second thought? So you can force yourself not to care - very easily simply by conscious inaction.
    But in your analogy the person who does nothing still cares, they choose not to act on it. Which is not the same as the indifferent person. The question was how do you make yourself not care, not how do you ignore your feelings. If it requires a conscious act to ignore something, then you do care about it. A person who genuinely doesn't care wouldn't even think about it.

And I thought "Stockhold Syndrome" was a wrestling move.

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    Caring or not caring is as much about conscious action as it is about feeling. For example, a dog has just been run over - you care about what has happened because you love dogs and you know that a crime has been committed and feel the animal's pain and hate the driver for driving off and hope he gets caught and prosecuted.
    Its only a dog ffs.. get a grip woman.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Also, there are plenty of examples how humans ignore extreme levels of psychological pain so they 'switch off' their conscience to cope with what is happening. Ever heard of the Stockhold Syndrome? That happens when a victim or an accessory to a serious crime sides with the perpetrator to block out the pain of what is happening to them and eventually believes that no harm was really done...
    No, the Stockhold Syndrome is when you pretend that you don't care what just happened to your retirement portfolio

Leave a comment:

Working...
X