• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: The North

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The North"

Collapse

• tay
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    ..Last time I checked the Ports & Airports were all open ... so feel free to pop down to Heathrow and flip off on a Quantas or whatever to your antipodean utopia
    I am in November, after I have finished taking money.

UK is a great place to make money, just a carp place to live. Bit like what Northerners say about London.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by tay View Post
    All of Britain is a carp place to live. People might claim the north is slightly less carp, but the difference is so minimal that it makes no difference.

I am in a good mood today
    ..Last time I checked the Ports & Airports were all open ... so feel free to pop down to Heathrow and feck off on a Quantas or whatever to your antipodean utopia

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    All of Britain is a carp place to live. People might claim the north is slightly less carp, but the difference is so minimal that it makes no difference.

I am in a good mood today

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    <Dylan Thomas>

Ugly, lovely town (on Swansea)

Wales is the land of my fathers. And my fathers can have it.

</Dylan Thomas>

What's the quote by the Railway station? Is it "Ambition is critical"?

Leave a comment:

• techno
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    IIRC, Middlesbrough was the first town bombed by the Luftwaffe.

Again, that was when they produced something on the Tees worth bombing.
    Even though I'm close to Middlesbrough I wish they would come back and finish the job including all the chav/scum that polute the place.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Black
    replied
    An[other] expat view...

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    When I say Britain I mean Britain. If I mean England I say England.
    When I say England I mean England, but also sometimes including Scotland and Wales, when I say the UK I mean Britain, but sometimes just England.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

Yeah, but Swansea was second MOST bombed, not FIRST bombed.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    I visited Abertawe once, and while waiting for a connecting train took a walk into town. Went into a shop and asked the guy behind the counter where the centre, the 'old town' was, you know, with older buildings? Not just the bland shopping centre pre-fab stuff?

He laughed and said: "There is no 'old town', The Second World War put paid to that".

Is that true?
    Yep. Sadly, old ninja squirrel, it is entirely true!

Swansea was the most bombed city in the UK in WW2, apart from London.

The reason was the docks, and the infrastructure, railways, goods yards and so on, that surrounded the area.

It seems silly now, as Swansea docks are pretty much idle, and the town exists largely on state welfare.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    I visited Abertawe once, and while waiting for a connecting train took a walk into town. Went into a shop and asked the guy behind the counter where the centre, the 'old town' was, you know, with older buildings? Not just the bland shopping centre pre-fab stuff?

He laughed and said: "There is no 'old town', The Second World War put paid to that".

Is that true?

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Archangel View Post
    Say no more, anywhere would be better than South Wales.
    Yeah I know.

It's a sad and pointless place now.

Once it fired the industrial revolution with its coal. Had more railways per square mile than anywhere on earth - but now, a sh1thole.

The thing that irks me most is that the 'local authorities' have done their best to obliterate and astroturf the place. Valuable, historical, industrial buildings and sites have been bulldozed to make way for ASDAs and other such, low-paying crap.

Leave a comment:

• 51st State
    replied

Wot he said.

Leave a comment:

• Archangel
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    I'm from South Wales.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
    Typical Northern griping bollux! I'm from South Wales. Moved to London as soon as I could. It was paradise! Yeah! even the outermost suburbs were paradise compare to South Wales - and most of the North, I imagine.

When I go back to Swansea (as infrequently as I can) I get thick ***** in pubs telling me how awful London is.

Brilliant!
    Each to their own. I'm sure you will find plenty of those from more rural parts of the country saying that any big city is great / rubbish / OK.

I can't stand London, to be honest. But I work here because I earn a shed load of cash for doing so. And then I go back to my northern country retreat, which I love.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    It is, I am much happier since I sold my 5 bed detached in 1 acre of lovely countryside, half a mile walk to the local village pub which served beer for £2 and was full of friendly northern folk. At least the money paid for a new bedsit in Chelsea which is much less grim, even if I couldn't swing a cat if I was allowed one and outside it is like Beirut on a good day.

- Northern monkey
    Typical Northern griping bollux! I'm from South Wales. Moved to London as soon as I could. It was paradise! Yeah! even the outermost suburbs were paradise compare to South Wales - and most of the North, I imagine.

When I go back to Swansea (as infrequently as I can) I get thick ***** in pubs telling me how awful London is.

Brilliant!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X