• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Speeding in the UK

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Speeding in the UK"

Collapse

• Squatch
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Over 100 mph is a ban.

It is never safe to have huge variations of speed on different lanes - 120 mph vs 60 mph in lorries is a huge delta that is very deadly.
    Not necessarily. 2 years ago I was caught by a patrol car on the M1 south of Watford doing 106. The filth told me I would have to appear in court and would likely be banned. They asked why I was speeding and I told them I was late for a meeting. They then showed me a video of my car speeding, did a complete search of my 330 cic and asked why I had a pack of Tesco underpants in the glove compartment. I'm not sure if they felt sorry for me or if it was bureaucratic incompetence but I never did get a summons. I even called Hertfordshire police and asked if there were any outstanding warrants, gave them my car reg and they said no. Guess I was lucky.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe Black View Post
    Hmm...

Am I missing something, since BASt (the German Federal Highway Research Institute) in their last report still showed the death (kill) rate being 25% higher, or 60% in the case of motorways, than the UK?
    Countries count the stats quite differently. There was some work at Loughborough Uni to try and normalise such stats and Denmark came out as most dangerous with the UK second. Germany was one of the safest.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Just switch on the cruise control.
    We had a laugh when I brought this up on the SpeedChoice course I attended today. A question posed by the instructor was “if the prize were a Ferrari, could you drive it from one end of the city to the other without breaking the speed limit? Naturally I asked whether the Ferrari came with cruise control. No one seemed to appreciate the legitimacy of the question, but spirits were bouyed, with follow questions being along the lines of ‘is it a red one’, etc. Upon regaining control the instructor moved on to something else, having singularly failed to address my question and her original point about the Ferrari.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe Black View Post
    Hmm...

Am I missing something, since BASt (the German Federal Highway Research Institute) in their last report still showed the death (kill) rate being 25% higher, or 60% in the case of motorways, than the UK?
    Yes German motorways have a higher death rate per capita. But its an atw post, bound to be tulipe.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Black
    replied
    100 mph is not dangerous on German motorways (where permitted) because:

a) it is actually fairly slow speed there - if its dangerous then only because it might be too slow
    b) they designed motorways in mind for these speeds (crash barriers better)
    c) they are not tw@ts that speed up like this in irresponsible fashion.
    Hmm...

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    ... Added to which to allow some leeway for error, sticking to 29 mph is even less fun since in between glancing at the speedo and the line of impatient cars weaving behind, you also need to glance at the road now and then...
    Just switch on the cruise control.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    Absolutely, the tensioned-wire type are a particular hazard for motorcyclists.
    WGAS?

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    In this country, the crash barriers are designed for cars, they are not intended to stop or deflect heavier vehicles... this explains why I encountered an HGV facing the wrong way on the hardshoulder of the M6 near Coventry... it had come across the central reservation, leaving an extremely flat crash barrier.

Driver was white faced...
    Absolutely, the tensioned-wire type are a particular hazard for motorcyclists.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    I can say from recent experience that you can be made to feel like a bit of a menace doing 30 mph in some thirty limited zones. Just try it religiously for a day, all of you, it may well drive you insane. It’s so distracting when people come behind you and try to bully you into doing the more usual 35 mph on a clear road, or try to overtake. Added to which to allow some leeway for error, sticking to 29 mph is even less fun since in between glancing at the speedo and the line of impatient cars weaving behind, you also need to glance at the road now and then. I did 31.5 mph today (accidentally was watching the road too long) and was just praying I didn’t end up getting a speeding ticket.

I have to go for my SpeedChoice indoctrination session today.
    Do it regular. Nothing as annoying for other road users than being stuck behind something exotic that is sticking to the speed limits.

It's actually quite common in Denmark to do it, it's a cultural thing and I'm just trying to fit in.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I can say from recent experience that you can be made to feel like a bit of a menace doing 30 mph in some thirty limited zones. Just try it religiously for a day, all of you, it may well drive you insane. It’s so distracting when people come behind you and try to bully you into doing the more usual 35 mph on a clear road, or try to overtake. Added to which to allow some leeway for error, sticking to 29 mph is even less fun since in between glancing at the speedo and the line of impatient cars weaving behind, you also need to glance at the road now and then. I did 31.5 mph today (accidentally was watching the road too long) and was just praying I didn’t end up getting a speeding ticket.

I have to go for my SpeedChoice indoctrination session today.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    seems to me that speed cops will need PhDs in algebra rather than straightforward common sense. Just imagine being pulled over by AtW!

"vood you mind stepping out of ze car comrade?"
    "certainly officer what seems to be the problem?".

You haf broken ze law in zat car.

"How so officer?"

"you ver doing 77 mph and ze crash barriers cannot cope vis zat sort of speed of impact. In ozer vords you vas driving dangerous"

"Well officer I am an engineer and I know for a fact that these crash barriers are capable of absorbing an impact of 80mph.

"OK zen I am going to prosecute you for running over zat squirrel, zat poor fluffy squirrel zat you have just run over, I vill haf you shot for zat"

Nice try - I'd just shoot you for ze "attempted escape"

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    seems to me that speed cops will need PhDs in algebra rather than straightforward common sense. Just imagine being pulled over by AtW!

"How so officer?"

"you ver doing 77 mph and ze crash barriers cannot cope vis zat sort of speed of impact. In ozer vords you vas driving dangerous"

"Well officer I am an engineer and I know for a fact that these crash barriers are capable of absorbing an impact of 80mph.
    "OK zen I am going to prosecute you for running over zat squirrel, zat poor fluffy squirrel zat you have just run over, I vill haf you shot for zat"
    Shades of "My Cousin Vinny" there...

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied

"How so officer?"

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    They have speed limit - around 155 mph, this is build into most cars. But perhaps the most important limit they have is their sense of responsibility for their own and other peoples lifes - something that you clearly do not have.
    (all speeds quoted are in km/h...)

When you drive over the border in to Germany you will see a sign that says 130 which is the official speed limit in Germany, as such. Yes, there are many places where you can go above that, I do all the time, but if you have an accident above 130, even if you are totally blameless then you're insurance can be declared null and void. At the very least you will be expected to pay 50% of the total costs. As for the speed limit quoted above, this is not true. Most German (and some non-German) car manufacturers voluntarily agreed to limit the speed of their models to 250. This can be changed by taking your car to the dealer and having the restriction removed. You then need to go to the TüV (like MOT) and get your car papers changed to show this. A number of cars are not restricted such as Porsche, Alpina, etc. though.

You cannot drive your car here without insurance as well as to get number plates for your car, you need insurance. On your number plates are the TüV and ASU (exhaust emission) and the date they run out. Police and the Ordnungsamt regularly check cars to see if they are up to date and if not, then the sticker is scratched off. Everytime you make a modification to your car, i.e. different wheels, you need to get yourself down to the TüV and get your documents updated.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    This is what you should think of when the engine block of your car crushes your chest due to high speed collision and airbags open up too late only to knock your head off your body that is already mortally wounded - that's what you get from speeding.

The engine block crushing your chest?? I think you'll find it far more likely to be the steering wheel There is some quite heftly metal between the engine and the passenger cabin (unless you are driving and old fashioned mini that is)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X