• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Microwave rice water spoon"

Collapse

• BrowneIssue
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    We're only a short step away from "Why don't you see crumbly white dog turds anymore?".
    Do you want the answer?
    It's 'cos people don't give their dogs bones any more.

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    Thank you for your thoughts.
    I am also trying to pin down the exact date when "ring" gave way to "ring tone", as the preferred word for "noise your mobile phone makes", if anyone has any suggestions. I think as late as May 9th 2000.
    Steady on, nothing bad/sinister is allowed to happen on my birthday, it's the law you know.

Leave a comment:

• NoddY
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucifer Box View Post
    Excellent as always, hyperD. My method to a tee.

If you're eating it with something spicy, another tip is to add a teaspoon of turmeric when you're stir frying it. If you want authentic pilau rice like people of asian origin might actually eat themselves*, also add a handful of sultanas, some chopped natural colour glace cherry and a teaspoon of cardamom seeds.

While we're on about it, what's all this business with "easy cook" noodles. Like noodles are hard to cook or something?

* Unsurprisingly they tend not to eat the stuff the takeaways routinely dish out, i.e. Uncle Bens with green and red food colouring. Bleurgh.

I suggest a non stick frying pan (with a lid) instead of a saucepan. I would also add cumin.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    Thank you for your thoughts.
    I am also trying to pin down the exact date when "ring" gave way to "ring tone", as the preferred word for "noise your mobile phone makes", if anyone has any suggestions. I think as late as May 9th 2000.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Hi LB! Hope you are faring well sir.

Indeed, I believe the Chinese say that lifting the lid will release the spirits and the rice will spoil!

Good tip for rice - I have made some authentic ones but not tried the cherry - as I love cherries, I will report back next week with that one.

Leave a comment:

• electronicfur
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    Don't bother with that microwave stuff...water is used to try and heat the processed rice through rather than radiating it into a dry piece of tulip which is really what it is.

Best way to make rice:

Put a cup of rice into a hot saucepan with some hot sunflower/veg oil (or butter and sugar for caramelised rice)

Stir fry for about a minute or two until rice is coated well.

Add 2 cups of water, boil water and stir and when boiling turn heat down.

Cover saucepan.

DON'T lift lid AT ALL.

Turn heat off after 15 mins.

Perfect rice...
    Or use my "lean and mean easy cook" version, dont bother with the oil and frying part.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    Don't bother with that microwave stuff...water is used to try and heat the processed rice through rather than radiating it into a dry piece of tulip which is really what it is.

Best way to make rice:

Put a cup of rice into a hot saucepan with some hot sunflower/veg oil (or butter and sugar for caramelised rice)

Cover saucepan.

DON'T lift lid AT ALL.

Perfect rice...
    Excellent as always, hyperD. My method to a tee.

If you're eating it with something spicy, another tip is to add a teaspoon of turmeric when you're stir frying it. If you want authentic pilau rice like people of asian origin might actually eat themselves*, also add a handful of sultanas, some chopped natural colour glace cherry and a teaspoon of cardamom seeds.

While we're on about it, what's all this business with "easy cook" noodles. Like noodles are hard to cook or something?

* Unsurprisingly they tend not to eat the stuff the takeaways routinely dish out, i.e. Uncle Bens with green and red food colouring. Bleurgh.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied

Best way to make rice:

Cover saucepan.

DON'T lift lid AT ALL.

Perfect rice...

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    sight

I thought the tape was left there by satanists who'd recorded their curses, and wanted to spread the misery along that stretch of road.

No it was recorded evidence for whichever major trial was on at the time. Now they just leave their laptop on their back seat, or go for the surefire method, send it via Royal Mail.

Has anyone re-spooled one of those discarded cassettes? Some funky tulip on them I can tell you. Last one I found had a confession from the Zodiac killer. Recorded over it with the Radio 1 Top 40.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    sight

I thought the tape was left there by satanists who'd recorded their curses, and wanted to spread the misery along that stretch of road.
    Isn't that the M25?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    ... a common site used to be miles and miles of brown cassette tape threaded through a hedge, no doubt after being discarded from a passing Sierra on an adjacent B-road and left to the tender mercy of Boreas' playful gusts...
    sight

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by Fran View Post
    As this is a fairly random thread..

I've heard a new management phase

"Knowlege Capital"

t**sers
    Knowledge

HTH

Fleetwood

Leave a comment:

• Fran
    replied
    As this is a fairly random thread..

I've heard a new management phase

"Knowlege Capital"

t**sers

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Have you ever seen a baby pigeon?

Leave a comment:

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    We're only a short step away from "Why don't you see crumbly white dog turds anymore?".

Why don't you ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X