• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Do you enjoy working in the IT industry?"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    It pays better than anything else I fancied doing. Plumbers have to stick their hands in Tulip,Chippies & Brickies have to work in the rain. Doctors etc have to take some real responsibility.

I sit in a nice warm office totty all around and play with computers.

Ill take the cash. - where is the 'Show me the money' smilie?

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Rah rah! Dow Jones are you also this much of a tosser in real life?

Or is this just great trolling?
    Credit where credits due.

DJ has more than earned his moniker of board t0sser

Leave a comment:

• Dow Jones
    replied
    Buddies

You two should get together (you so like each other)

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post

Just keep him entertained until the men in white coats arrive.

Leave a comment:

• Dow Jones
    replied
    In your opinion (again)

I've seen you coming up with all sorts of drivel lately but I haven't bothered to reply in such a way. Once again, it is your (insignificant) opinion

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Dow Jones
    replied
    Self-motivation

This is what most people (inc. some here) are lacking. Whatever motivates you in life should be enough to keep you going. It won't come from your job or the money it brings but from you setting goals and targets in life, then applying your talents in achieving them. What motivates a Premier League multi-millionaire footballer to become even better? Another target for an IT contractor, is say, if you want to retire in 10 years and need say £ 1m, then you should ensure that you put away on average £ 100k/year. Self-motivation is to be able to get up first thing in the morning and look forward to another day's work. For this, it's pretty obvious that you should like what you do. Less whingeing also helps. Blimey!
    Last edited by Dow Jones; 18 January 2008, 13:31. Reason: typo

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    I suggest you try doing something else for a while and quiz your mates on their jobs, 99% of other forms of work are equally demoralising and in most cases harder work and less well paid than contracting.
    I've quizzed my mates, acquaintances and family on what they do -

teachers, shop assistants, shop owners (large and small), doctors (hospital and GPs), nurses, physiotherapists, accountants, police officiers, civil service with non-jobs, lawyers, hospitality industry, advertising, sales consultants, probation officers, prison officiers, building trade (self-employed), tube workers -

and the only conclusion I can make from those that are happy with their job is either work for yourself or be the head honcho in a business.

As most people can't be head honcho the only other thing is to work for yourself.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I do it for the money. Though I quite enjoy the work sometimes.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    No, not at all.

I don't work in "Information Technology", we write software to control hardware, end of.
    You are aware that CUK is "The IT contractor Portal"? ...maybe you should be posting somewhere else?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I know what you're saying, proper 'Industry' was banished from this country a long time ago.

"Do you enjoy working in the IT sector?" ...Is that better?
    No, not at all.

I don't work in "Information Technology", we write software to control hardware, end of.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
    I did a degree in Business Studies, in the IT units I got my worse marks just skimming a pass, I also had to do a years work placement as part of the course and I ended up doing it in IT as it was all I could get and I needed a years placement to pass the course. After I finished uni the one I knew was there was no way I was going to work in IT, applied for non IT jobs didnt get them, applied for an IT job as I was desperate and got it, 10 years now Ive been working in IT and I hate it not saying its bad but I dont enjoy it. Im totally intergrated with the business in my current gig more so than ever before and its made me realise more so the mistake I made. So for me yes it was a mistake and is now a means to end, I'm sh*t at IT but dont tell the client
    Pretty similar story here but I'll blow my own trumpet and say, I'm strictly average at IT but dont tell the client

I've gone from hatred to resignation to thinking it's not turned out that badly. I suggest you try doing something else for a while and quiz your mates on their jobs, 99% of other forms of work are equally demoralising and in most cases harder work and less well paid than contracting.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
    I did a degree in Business Studies
    Apologies for intrusion, but are those 2 birds on your avatar classed as Great Tits (it's safe for work link folks)?

So in essense the message of your avatar is 2 great tits?

Leave a comment:

• Bumfluff
    replied
    I did a degree in Business Studies, in the IT units I got my worse marks just skimming a pass, I also had to do a years work placement as part of the course and I ended up doing it in IT as it was all I could get and I needed a years placement to pass the course. After I finished uni the one I knew was there was no way I was going to work in IT, applied for non IT jobs didnt get them, applied for an IT job as I was desperate and got it, 10 years now Ive been working in IT and I hate it not saying its bad but I dont enjoy it. Im totally intergrated with the business in my current gig more so than ever before and its made me realise more so the mistake I made. So for me yes it was a mistake and is now a means to end, I'm sh*t at IT but dont tell the client
    Last edited by Bumfluff; 18 January 2008, 11:36.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko View Post
    I think it is a very good job for tape changers like Milan who get more money out of what they are really worth.

But if you are excellent at what you do and do progress a lot in your knowledge you would hardly see your increased value recognised morally or economically like in other fields happen (example: lawyers, doctors, solicitors, chemists, etc.).

Let's admit it, it's not rocket science to get a well sought after technical skill and make loads of money out of it but it's very hard to become a professional ITer with a global knowledge of the subject. Yet the latter would not guarantee you the effort you spend on. Well, to be fair IT is a young discipline and it will take many years before it matures to a good standard like other fields.
    How come you are doing the AtW impressions again ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X