• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Fahrenheit 451

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Fahrenheit 451"

Collapse

• Torran
    replied
    [QUOTE=KathyWoolfe;425733]I re-read books regularly. The reason I have them in my collection in the first place is that I enjoy them so much that I want to enjoy them again.

It doesn't matter that the story is familiar and I may know 'roughly' how it finishes. It's the experience of re-living the story that counts at the time.

QUOTE]

you are spot on there.

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    I generally read trashy Science Fiction books. Not a huge fan of non fiction. I generally get bored. I do like historical novels however and love reading about the Napoleonic wars (Bolitho, Kydd , Sharpe etc etc)... other historical novels are good too.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
    I re-read books regularly. The reason I have them in my collection in the first place is that I enjoy them so much that I want to enjoy them again.

It doesn't matter that the story is familiar and I may know 'roughly' how it finishes. It's the experience of re-living the story that counts at the time.

It's the same with DVD's. Mr Kathywoolfe and I have established a Christmas tradition in that we watch all 3 extended versions of the LOTR films in a single sitting (so to speak). I still find myself moved by the same scenes as I did when I first watched them (e.g. the death of Boromir and his reconciliation with Aragorn at the end of the first film) so when that happens you know that the story still has power over you. When I come to the point when that sort of effect doesn't happen then I would stop reading/watching it.
    Naw .. you can't take this off topic into film... we are talking specifically about reading books - where you form the images in your own head whist reading rather than viewing someone else interpretation of wot de awfur wrote. rewatching a film relies more on visual effects than a captivating storyline

Sensible answers only (sorry sas) by return please

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Your thread suggests a difficulty with reading comprehension... just trying to establish how prevalent it is
    HTH
    Your post suggests a lack of IQ. But we knew that.
    HTH

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Your post says more about you than anything else.
    Your thread suggests a difficulty with reading comprehension... just trying to establish how prevalent it is
    HTH

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    You'll have to forgive Troll - he's a limited soul and imagination isn't one of his strong points.

Leave a comment:

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    I re-read books regularly. The reason I have them in my collection in the first place is that I enjoy them so much that I want to enjoy them again.

It's the same with DVD's. Mr Kathywoolfe and I have established a Christmas tradition in that we watch all 3 extended versions of the LOTR films in a single sitting (so to speak). I still find myself moved by the same scenes as I did when I first watched them (e.g. the death of Boromir and his reconciliation with Aragorn at the end of the first film) so when that happens you know that the story still has power over you. When I come to the point when that sort of effect doesn't happen then I would stop reading/watching it.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by KathyWoolfe
    I don't get the relevance that books have with the property. What books you have - or what quantity of books you have says more about the owners than it says about the property surely?
    It's about how to present the property for sale, like in all the property makeovers they have on TV. Apparently books are a no-no. Shocking.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Do people who "re-read" books do so because:
    Your post says more about you than anything else.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
    Are you the person who rings up those phone-ins to choose option 3?

"Press 1 for Yes.
    Press 2 for No.
    Press 3 for Don't know."
    I don't know

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I find that I do not read everything, or take everything in at first reading. But I don't skim. Consider Christopher Lee - he reads the Lord of the Rings once a year. He must know the story by now.

Sure, the second time you read a book, you're familiar with the ending - but you're able to appreciate more the route to the end. Some books - e.g. the Silmarillion (Tolkein) or Monstrous Regiment (Pratchett), I've not really appreciated until I'd read them a few times. It takes a few re-reads before you can grasp all that is going on, and, in the case of Pratchett, some of the subtleties of the humour.

It's great when you pick up an old favourite and find something that you hadn't seen before, even on the tenth reading.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I re-read books because I enjoyed them the first time. Sometimes you get more out of in re-reading because you concentrate more on the writing and less on finding out how it ends. And not having a photographic memory (well I do, but I ran out of film and couldn't get the hang of the new digital format), while remembering the general storyline, I don't remember every detail. I also watch films more than once. Presumably most people do, given the popularity of DVDs

I suppose it could depend on how many books you read - if you're still on Janet and John, then yes, you might find you become over familiar with the text.
    But the experience, the draw of the storyline..is not comparable because as you say you already know the ending!!

would it be fair then to say your first read is more of the skim to the end option?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I re-read books because I enjoyed them the first time. Sometimes you get more out of in re-reading because you concentrate more on the writing and less on finding out how it ends. And not having a photographic memory (well I do, but I ran out of film and couldn't get the hang of the new digital format), while remembering the general storyline, I don't remember every detail. I also watch films more than once. Presumably most people do, given the popularity of DVDs

I suppose it could depend on how many books you read - if you're still on Janet and John, then yes, you might find you become over familiar with the text.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Recently re-read this after a gap of many years. IMHO better than 1984 at predicting what we have become.
    Do people who "re-read" books do so because:

• They fail to grasp all the nuances the first time
    • Their reading method is to skim rather than fully read books
    • They are unhappy with the ending and hope it will be different the next time
    • There aren't any/enough pictures in them to fully convey the point the author was making
    • Their memories are failing

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I finding it vaguely depressing when I hear people say "I don't read books". Or worse - "I only read technical books".

Of all of the books by George Orwell (real name Eric Arthur Blair - any relation to Tony? ), only one has a happy(ish) ending "Keep the Aspidistra Flying".

( Just checked the facts at wikipedia (I know, I know) ... at the top of the page there is link "For the American author and writer, see George Orson Welles. " Just in case someone get's confused. Perhaps a link should be included to Orson Cart as well. )

Leave a comment:

Working...
X