• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Management Speak

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Management Speak"

Collapse

• BoredBloke
    replied
    They obviously didn't take the holistic approach.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    I often hear the word 'performant'. As in 'the system is performant', meaning it runs fast enough.

Trouble is 'performant' isn't a word in the English language.
    It's in Websters - noun. definition: a performer. Have to check to OED when I get home.

Its current usage probably comes from the German and French word "Performant" meaning "High Performance".

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded View Post
    One of my small pleasures, in a little things please little minds way, is to play the dumb foreigner and get them to explain what they've just said, for my benefit.

Methinks it's a smart way to avoid being invited to those kinds of meetings in the first place.
    Be

Sorry Threaded, couldn't resist

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    One of my small pleasures, in a little things please little minds way, is to play the dumb foreigner and get them to explain what they've just said, for my benefit.

Methinks it's a smart way to avoid being invited to those kinds of meetings in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by tay View Post
    Not true. The fruit at the top is often sun burnt. all depends on the climate.
    Ah, indeed; I can see that being an issue in the more northerly regions of your homeland, but an excess of sun is unlikely to be much of a problem in the UK

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    Of course as any commercial fruit grower can tell you, the low-hanging fruit is the rubbish that hasn't had much sun - better to let it fall than waste time with it. It's the fruit up the top of the tree that has the highest quality.

Low-hanging fruit is only fit for scavenging wildlife.
    Not true. The fruit at the top is often sun burnt. all depends on the climate.

Leave a comment:

• Denny
    replied
    Other management-speak gobbledegook

Leverage, synergies, engage, interface, parachute in.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    Are you on the bus? You'd better get on the bus if we're to raise the bar and up tier our output this quarter, no time for wallflowers here my friends - you've got to pluck the low hanging fruit and create more output with less effort.

etc. etc. etc. ad nauseum...
    Of course as any commercial fruit grower can tell you, the low-hanging fruit is the rubbish that hasn't had much sun - better to let it fall than waste time with it. It's the fruit up the top of the tree that has the highest quality.

Low-hanging fruit is only fit for scavenging wildlife.

Leave a comment:

• Jason
    replied
    Satisfising is an example of pure management speak

Leave a comment:

• Jason
    replied
    Performant is part of the SLA speak.. not strictly managment speak. These are two different dialects.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    I often hear the word 'performant'. As in 'the system is performant', meaning it runs fast enough.

Trouble is 'performant' isn't a word in the English language.

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    we had "move the ballpark" this week - I think this is a combination MS - do I win £5?

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Can someone pass the sick bucket please?

Leave a comment:

• youwhut
    replied
    Can we touch base before the close of play?

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    Are you on the bus? You'd better get on the bus if we're to raise the bar and up tier our output this quarter, no time for wallflowers here my friends - you've got to pluck the low hanging fruit and create more output with less effort.

etc. etc. etc. ad nauseum...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X