• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: The Price of suits

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The Price of suits"

Collapse

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    Absolutely.

They're Untermensch.
    Having watched the fascinating documentary on the wonderfully non conformist Barry Humphries last night, that is a good answer

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Actually, there is an indefinable quality of scruffiness that transcends smart suits. Even on the rare occasions I do wear a suit and tie with carefully ironed shirt, polished shoes, even if I had just had my annual bath, I am proud to say I still convey an impression of piss sodden old tramp.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 10 January 2008, 10:57.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    When you live in your little sheltered world of fantasy do you ever stop and try and understand why people do things differently to you?
    Absolutely.

They're Untermensch.

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Quite a few, yes, but one can't act as a walking billboard all the time

It's becoming something of a tradition for me to wear my Google one the first day at a new place
    Stopped wearing the yellow and pink shellsuit then

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    It's becoming something of a tradition for me to wear my Google one the first day at a new place

Now you're talking. You've got to be good rather look good (allegedly in a suit) though. A Google T-shirt has got to be way better than some hideous suit <shudder>.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I thought you got them free at OldClientCorp?
    Quite a few, yes, but one can't act as a walking billboard all the time

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I bought a couple of t-shirts for a fiver each the other day.

Wearing one of them now - it's my first week here at NewClientCorp, so I need to look my best
    I thought you got them free at OldClientCorp?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    I bought a couple of t-shirts for a fiver each the other day.

Wearing one of them now - it's my first week here at NewClientCorp, so I need to look my best

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post

The only people that wear suits are those trying to sell you something or the Jehovah's Witnesses.

When you live in your little sheltered world of fantasy do you ever stop and try and understand why people do things differently to you?

Leave a comment:

• loadofkods
    replied
    If you must have a suit made in the far east this place will do you a fully bespoke suit for less than £300

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
    When I wear a suit it's I don't want people to feel comfortable. I want them to feel a mixture of jealousy, fear and submission in the face of my unblemished professionalism.
    I have that effect on people when I'm naked

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    comfortable

When I wear a suit it's I don't want people to feel comfortable. I want them to feel a mixture of jealousy, fear and submission in the face of my unblemished professionalism.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Does anyone bother to look at someone else in a suit ? Do you intensively stare at their tailoring like some envious garment obsessed loon ? Why ?

I'm more likely to feel comfortable speaking to someone in a Rammstein T-shirt, multiple piercings and blue hair than some car-room salesman in a suit.

The only people that wear suits are those trying to sell you something or the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    £500 is not a good price for a suit, especially when reduced from £1000.

You needn't pay more than £250 for a non-brand off-the-peg suit of similar quality to a "designer" off-the-peg suit.

For about £650 and up to about £1500 you can get East-End bespoke suits, or at least made-to-measure that will fit like a glove and look miles better. £3000 is the going rate for Saville Row, but all you're doing is paying for their sky-high shop rents, as most of them outsource to the East End or provincial cutters anyway.

Leave a comment:

• interested
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    I have just shelled out £500 for a shiny new suit. First one in 5 years, everyone telling me I need to look smart and that £500 is the going rate for a decent suit (reduced from £1000 in the Harvey nicks sale) The things we have to do to conform with our clients and contractors expectations.

It's all right for you lot with your old school jacket and a pair pf sandals off a Benidorm street market. No wonder our margins need to be so high
    £3000 is the going rate for a decent suit. Anything 'designer', 'made to measure' or off the peg is cheap rubbish made by either a machine or a child in Vietnam.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X