• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Blu Ray wins!

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Blu Ray wins!"

Collapse

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Possible liquid cooled processor and graphics card.
    Liquid cooling is great. Get the temperature right and you can put tropical fish in the case, which is why so many have those windows in the side. Just remember to tape up all the gaps before filling with water.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    I went and built exactly the same 3 weeks ago, all wrapped up in a nice and shiny/girlfriend friendly Antec Fusion v2/430 case, 2x500Gb Samsung Spinpoint SATA II's disks, 8Gb high speed Kingston RAM, Intel quad core Q6600 and a silent set of fans (again girlfriend friendly).. complete overkill i know for a HTPC but it makes for a great gaming pc when on my own.. let me know how it goes TLG.

All in cost around £1,000, although i did shop around and visit the usual suspects:

Dabs
    Aria PC
    Microdirect
    The Cooling Shop

<Chef in "it was cold, i was bored so I bought a new PC" mode>
    I am looking at a Zalman 160XT+ box with a 7" touch screen. A 150 Raptor main drive and 2 Western Digital 500 gig secondarys. 8600 with hdmi out for graphics. Possible liquid cooled processor and graphics card.
    Not sure on motherboard but want the core 2 quad core

The raptor has a viewing window (god knows why) and there is a chassis designed with a window to show it. Not sure if thats cool or kitsch.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Hercules mono.
    Bah! Trust you to be stuck in the Silurian age.

I'm a CGA man myself. Nothing less than 16K static video RAM will do for my demanding applications.

Just look at those eye-popping magentas, groovy cyans and those jaggy circles.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    I went and built exactly the same 3 weeks ago, all wrapped up in a nice and shiny/girlfriend friendly Antec Fusion v2/430 case, 2x500Gb Samsung Spinpoint SATA II's disks, 8Gb high speed Kingston RAM, Intel quad core Q6600 and a silent set of fans (again girlfriend friendly).. complete overkill i know for a HTPC but it makes for a great gaming pc when on my own.. let me know how it goes TLG.

All in cost around £1,000, although i did shop around and visit the usual suspects:

Dabs
    Aria PC
    Microdirect
    The Cooling Shop

What do you run that uses/stresses your quadcore and what display adapter do you have?

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    The LG multi blu reads and writes blu ray and reads HD.
    HTPC is home theatre pc as previously stated.
    HD is not necessarily dead yet as (I believe) it is quicker and may be the pc gamers platform of choice.
    May revise the choice of drive if HD is dead.
    Other features are graphics card with HDMI tv connection. 7.1 surround sound card and dual tv and satelite TV card allowing unit to be a PVR. Watch one record another digi recorder.
    Planning v fast hard drive wit 1T of secondary storage.

Looking at approx 1500 quid dependant on spec. Mine will cost that in components.

Dabs
    Aria PC
    Microdirect
    The Cooling Shop

Last edited by chef; 19 February 2008, 14:30. Reason: i lied, in retrospect it was around £1k not 900

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
    Is the processing speed as slow as the owner?
    It's nowhere near as fast as me but considerably better performing than you.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    It works very well too. Just like its owner!
    Is the processing speed as slow as the owner?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Ah well don't worry too much. At least it looks nice.
    It works very well too. Just like its owner!

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by PAH View Post
    Good job you don't work for Sony then. It would cost you more than in the shops.*

* assuming it's true that they make a loss on each unit sold.
    Wasn't much cheaper for MS.

But buying games at cost + 5% saved me LOADS, since that's where all the money is

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Vaio with a blu-ray drive...

I did!
    Ah well don't worry too much. At least it looks nice.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Get a PS3

HTH.
    Vaio with a blu-ray drive...

I did!

Leave a comment:

• PAH
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I got the console for cost + 2.5% when they first came out.
    Good job you don't work for Sony then. It would cost you more than in the shops.*

* assuming it's true that they make a loss on each unit sold.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Get a PS3

HTH.

I used to work with the Microsoft distributor for Xbox - the staff discount scheme means that a PS3 is not an option for me

I got the console for cost + 2.5% when they first came out.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Hopefully Microsoft will do something quickly to put a dual player into an XBOX 360.
    Get a PS3

HTH.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    BUT - are Blu Ray still refusing to do p0rn??? Good job that bitTorrent does is fine
    read the rest of the thread

Leave a comment:

Working...
X