• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Audi A6 and BMW 5 Series too fancy ?"

Collapse

• Scary
    replied
    Funny how people have no idea what a car's worth, you can buy an A6 for 1500 quid, put it on a private plate and give it a polish and you'll get quips about how you're paid too much, from people who spent ten times that on a new Mondeo.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Maybe get a lovely car, but a couple of years old so it doesn't look all shiny.
    That's been the strategy I've had most success with. You let someone else take the initial large hit of depreciation, and a second hand model that's loaded up with extras costs little more than the bog standard model. In fact go for the bigger engined model and it may cost less up front. Definitely worth it if you plan on doing lots of commuting in my opinion.

When you do sell it, compare what you get for it with what the car you could have got brand new for the same outlay would have fetched, and smile.

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Then park near management so it doesn't stick out.
    But not so close that they spot the Quattro badge carefully concealed in the interior only

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    How else can I possibly know how many hours, minutes and seconds to invoice for if I don't?
    I've worked at a few places with a timecard system. Some were better than others, the best one of the lot telling you how many hours and minutes you'd done in a month. Easy peasy for invoicing purposes and proof that you had actually been there.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Maybe get a lovely car, but a couple of years old so it doesn't look all shiny.

Then park near management so it doesn't stick out.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Too German
    Too Common

Leave a comment:

• blacksheep
    replied
    going onto the original topic.

I don't think Audi A6's and BMW 5 series are necessarily too fancy. With a generous lease arrangement or a few lies on the application paperwork, I'm sure lots of people could get one.

Get a car you're happy with, and you aren't going to stress about when you park it at the client site.

If that gets worrying, get an older/cheaper/c**pier car for client work, and a more shiny one for the weekends!

Leave a comment:

• blacksheep
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Chavs drive 'S' reg BMW 318's with the badge taken off cos' they is bling innit.

I bought my CTR because you simply can't beat the package for the price.
    I think some engineers had a ton of fun putting the previous CTR all together also. Too many accountants and managers got involved in the new one, so its not as fun and not as reliable either.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by blacksheep View Post
    Seconded. I have one of the "previous" Civic Type-R's also. Don't care that its seen as a chav car, and is a bit uncomfortable on long journeys. Show it a road with a few bends on, and it sticks a huge grin on my face.
    Chavs drive 'S' reg BMW 318's with the badge taken off cos' they is bling innit.

I bought my CTR because you simply can't beat the package for the price.

Leave a comment:

• blacksheep
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I have neither, it's the last gen Civic Type-r.

The proper one with multi-link suspension, the one that's quicker than the new one.
    Seconded. I have one of the "previous" Civic Type-R's also. Don't care that its seen as a chav car, and is a bit uncomfortable on long journeys. Show it a road with a few bends on, and it sticks a huge grin on my face.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    No need to apologise it's nice to meet someone with taste!

Corrado is a nice car but never really saw many of them about.
    FTFY.

You don't see that many. I had a VR6, I still miss it.

Leave a comment:

• SlimRick
    replied
    I have an A6 estate.....comfy!!!

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    Surely you have an Android app for that.
    I'm writing one. An iPhone is SOoooooooooooo.......... 2009..........

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    are we talking the new civic type r

or the old integra type r - which was a great car
    I have neither, it's the last gen Civic Type-r.

The proper one with multi-link suspension, the one that's quicker than the new one.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    No need to apologise it's nice to meet someone with taste!

Corrado was a nice car but never really saw many of them about.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    are we talking the new civic type r

or the old integra type r - which was a great car
    Apologies - to clarify - the Civic. The integra is lovely, I have always had a hankering. I had a Corrado for a while instead though, I had a genuine affection for that car.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X