• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Freemasons -

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Freemasons -"

Collapse

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    No it isn't.
    Yes it is. I do have some experience in the matter...

Leave a comment:

• portseven
    replied
    Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post
    Joseph Smith was a documented Freemason.
    Having many relatives who are Mormons, I can confirm this. Mormons even now go through various ceremonies involving funny aprons and secret handshakes.

Next time the Mormons knock on your door, ask them how's it going with their magic underwear!

Leave a comment:

• Peter Loew
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Apparently, if you progress through the degrees of freemasonry, you'll learn the same "secrets" that temple mormons learn.

Seems that Joseph Smith (or one of the early members) was desperate for some mumbo-jumbo for the "enlightened", and so borrowed heavily from freemasonry.
    Joseph Smith was a documented Freemason.

Leave a comment:

• 2uk
    replied
    One of the mmebership requirements , i know , is u have to believe in some supreme being whether god , Allah or whatever , so u ll have to dodge that one..

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Apparently, if you progress through the degrees of freemasonry, you'll learn the same "secrets" that temple mormons learn.

Seems that Joseph Smith (or one of the early members) was desperate for some mumbo-jumbo for the "enlightened", and so borrowed heavily from freemasonry.

Leave a comment:

• Hiram King Of Tyre
    replied
    As Churchill says, it depends what you mean by "worth it". You will only get out what you put in. Nobody should join for what they will "get out of it" you will be dissapointed

It's far from free but shouldn't cost more than you can comfortably afford. There are also benefits such as help from masonic charities should you of your family need them.

You do have to be proposed and seconded but it's a myth that you have to be asked. If you know a mason and ask him sensibly about it, I'm sure he will open up and tell you more about it. There is very little about masonary that is actually secret

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    Thanks Churchy... I really don't know a huge amount about it TBH....
    I didn't know there were female only lodges though....
    If you're interested, have a look at...

http://www.droit-humain.org/uk/

or below is a women only organisation...

http://www.hfaf.org/

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    No it isn't.

What do you mean by "worthwhile"?

CM, you'll find that being a Catholic is not a barrier to Freemasonry. However, the Catholic Church's stance on Freemasonry is currently that the church may/will ex-communicate you.

Also, there are female only and mixed Masonic Lodges that you could join.
    Thanks Churchy... I really don't know a huge amount about it TBH....
    I didn't know there were female only lodges though....

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    It's quite handy for your family if you snuff it. Some family friends all went to top boarding schools and received other financial assistance when their dad died when they were kids. I'm not sure if it still works like that !?

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Join the Chamber of Commerce. It's practically the same thing. Businessmen talking shop at posh dinners. The only difference is that at the Chamber of Commerce you don't have to learn some old carp about the secrets of the Cathars and Templars, astral planes, or other such nonsense.
    No it isn't.

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
    worthwhile joining?
    What do you mean by "worthwhile"?

CM, you'll find that being a Catholic is not a barrier to Freemasonry. However, the Catholic Church's stance on Freemasonry is currently that the church may/will ex-communicate you.

Also, there are female only and mixed Masonic Lodges that you could join.
    Last edited by Churchill; 28 December 2007, 09:14.

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    Join the Chamber of Commerce. It's practically the same thing. Businessmen talking shop at posh dinners. The only difference is that at the Chamber of Commerce you don't have to learn some old crap about the secrets of the Cathars and Templars, astral planes, or other such nonsense.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    My best mate is a Freemason.

You do have to be "nominated" by you can only get nominated by asking. I.e. you have to show interest in asking about it to get nominated.

Not sure what he does other than attend black tie events. Theres not nearly enough underhanded illegal activity for my liking.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied
    I'm only interested if it really is free. Also, is the biscuit thing the freemasons or rugby players

Leave a comment:

• 2uk
    replied
    Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
    I have a contact - just wanted to find out if anyone had any real experience. It's a long tough road but apparently very fulfilling, from what I gather.
    ask him if it is true about the "rule the world" gossip.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    I have a contact - just wanted to find out if anyone had any real experience. It's a long tough road but apparently very fulfilling, from what I gather.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X