• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: de-icing the car

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "de-icing the car"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    I use my sainsbury's nectar card - which is quite good.
    An old cassette tape box works well too, as you can tuck your fingers into it to grip onto.

Failing that, the PCG membership card works a treat.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Driver fined for leaving engine running as car defrosted outside his home. Apparently it's a prosecutable offence called 'quitting'.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

Hmm, one of my freinds drives a turbo charged beasty that doesn't turn off when you take the key out of the ingnition. Instead it keeps running for a period of up to 2 mins before tunring itself off (something to do with the turbo charger and it needs to tuns at a set temp or something, don't really know why tbh).

Do you think he could get nicked??

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by IR35 Avoider View Post
    A few years ago I received (as a "Secret Santa" present) a scarper with a built-in heating element, that plugs into the cigarette lighter. It's still in the box, never been used, because I've never needed to scarpe my windscreen. I have a garage, which keeps my car frost-free.

I'm open to offers for it.
    Me ruv u wong time. 1 dorrar.

Bob Shawadiwadi.

Leave a comment:

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    A few years ago I received (as a "Secret Santa" present) a scraper with a built-in heating element, that plugs into the cigarette lighter. It's still in the box, never been used, because I've never needed to scrape my windscreen. I have a garage, which keeps my car frost-free.

I'm open to offers for it.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    If you live where I do, you're scared to leave the car running while you go back inside in case it gets pinched. The spray stuff is good though, unless the ice is thick.
    But I haven't driven my car in 2 weeks (yay working from home)

Leave a comment:

• Diver
    replied
    I have a 1 k hot air blower that I chuck in the car ten minutes before I leave.

Toasty and de-iced

Leave a comment:

• RandyW
    replied
    I have my man do it before I leave.

Threaded

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Driver fined for leaving engine running as car defrosted outside his home. Apparently it's a prosecutable offence called 'quitting'.
    He was lippy to the filth - what do you expect from a :banana republic where the babylon rule.

Leave a comment:

• moorfield
    replied
    My butler usually de-ices my motor for me each morning. No idea what he uses.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    In north america remote starters are in a high percentage of vehicles. Both in to warm the car in cold weather and also to cool it in hot. The car is locked while the engine is on and any attempt to break-in or drive the car results in the imobiliser kicking in. Now tell me...will the cops give me a ticket if I use my remote starter?

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    What else is new? That's england for you folks.

Luckily I have a driveway which means I can legally leave my car running in this way....I hope. There may be a law against that as well.
    Ditto and I also use my second set of keys to lock the car.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    What else is new? That's england for you folks.

Luckily I have a driveway which means I can legally leave my car running in this way....I hope. There may be a law against that as well.

Leave a comment:

• TimberWolf
    replied

"Every year we appeal to members of the public not to leave their cars running unattended on cold frosty mornings which are easy pickings for thieves.

"Not only does this practice invalidate your insurance if cars are stolen in this way but there are also offenders looking to steal high powered cars to commit crime, especially at this time of year."

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by ferret View Post
    If the water is hot enough it takes a while, as soon as the ice has thawed use the windscreen wipers to clear the icy sludge, any remnants can be scarped off with much less effort. If in the car quickly and the heating on then the ice does not form.

If very cold it is not as effective though I do agree.
    This is what I do.

Leave a comment:

• miffy
    replied
    Originally posted by ferret View Post
    If the water is hot enough it takes a while, as soon as the ice has thawed use the windscreen wipers to clear the icy sludge, any remnants can be scarped off with much less effort. If in the car quickly and the heating on then the ice does not form.

If very cold it is not as effective though I do agree.
    I've always done this, luke warm water in the kettle and a silicone "blade" to sheet off the water from the screen. Works very well. I do all the windows on my car in under a minute.

No good for trucks, but sockpuppets idea is far better (i.e. throwing a cover or your spiderman duvet over the truck).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X