• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

de-icing the car

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have an underground carpark.
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
      I find that technique just causes the water to ice up almost immediately if it is below zero.
      If the water is hot enough it takes a while, as soon as the ice has thawed use the windscreen wipers to clear the icy sludge, any remnants can be scraped off with much less effort. If in the car quickly and the heating on then the ice does not form.

If very cold it is not as effective though I do agree.
      my ferret is your ferret

Comment

On my previous car I used a scraper as I found out that though the spray de-ices the windscreen, by the time you've driven 100 yards the windscreen has iced up again due to the freezing air blowing over the windscreen and icing up the liquid part of the de-icer that you've just sprayed on.
        My current car has a heated front windscreen capability as well as rear windscreen heating and with the fan blowing in the car to de-mist the interior the visibility is fine after just a few minutes.
        It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

I imagine you'd get a similar result with a high concentration of anti-freeze in the cars' windscreen washer bottle, and using the sprayer to de-ice. Never tried it since I figured it might rot the window rubber and spoil paintwork.

Comment

Get a convertible - problem solved.

Next.

Comment

I use my sainsbury's nectar card - which is quite good.
              "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by ferret View Post
                If the water is hot enough it takes a while, as soon as the ice has thawed use the windscreen wipers to clear the icy sludge, any remnants can be scarped off with much less effort. If in the car quickly and the heating on then the ice does not form.

I've always done this, luke warm water in the kettle and a silicone "blade" to sheet off the water from the screen. Works very well. I do all the windows on my car in under a minute.

No good for trucks, but sockpuppets idea is far better (i.e. throwing a cover or your spiderman duvet over the truck).
                Eat Right, Exercise, Die Anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ferret View Post
                  If the water is hot enough it takes a while, as soon as the ice has thawed use the windscreen wipers to clear the icy sludge, any remnants can be scarped off with much less effort. If in the car quickly and the heating on then the ice does not form.

This is what I do.

Comment

Driver fined for leaving engine running as car defrosted outside his home. Apparently it's a prosecutable offence called 'quitting'.
                    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

"Every year we appeal to members of the public not to leave their cars running unattended on cold frosty mornings which are easy pickings for thieves.

"Not only does this practice invalidate your insurance if cars are stolen in this way but there are also offenders looking to steal high powered cars to commit crime, especially at this time of year."

Comment

What else is new? That's england for you folks.

Luckily I have a driveway which means I can legally leave my car running in this way....I hope. There may be a law against that as well.
                      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                      X