• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Darwin Award candidate of the day"

Collapse

• Zigenare
    replied
    Turns out the lad has 3 kids with 2 girls*. Not a candidate for a Darwin award.

*Probably.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    And another one: -

Boy critical after scooter crash on Monks Orchard Road, Beckenham | News Shopper

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Emily Hartridge: TV presenter and YouTube star dies in crash - BBC News

Those electric scooters are a f**king pain. Though perhaps not as bad as scooters that stay at the Heathrow Thistle....

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I once caught me wotsit in my flies once, but never had a penknife handy to cut the blighter off. Had to make do with carefully unzipping it.

Leave a comment:

• beaker
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    I was working on my van engine once and a gust of the wind caused the bonnet to slam down on my little finger and latch. It was stuck in a gap about 5mm wide. When somebody finally rescued me, my finger was a quarter of its normal thickess. Oddly, it was back to normal in 10 minutes and I never even had a bruise.
    Did you consider cutting it off with your pocketknife?

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    I was working on my van engine once and a gust of the wind caused the bonnet to slam down on my little finger and latch. It was stuck in a gap about 5mm wide. When somebody finally rescued me, my finger was a quarter of its normal thickess. Oddly, it was back to normal in 10 minutes and I never even had a bruise.

Leave a comment:

• EqualOpportunities
    replied
    Originally posted by beaker View Post
    Seems to be all the rage to chop your own limbs off. Anyone here given it a try?
    I snapped my banjo string years ago - does that count?

Leave a comment:

• hugebrain
    replied
    Originally posted by beaker View Post
    Seems to be all the rage to chop your own limbs off. Anyone here given it a try?
    That's where the term coyote ugly comes from. However since you just got laid you probably get disqualified from the Darwin award.

Leave a comment:

• beaker
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    There was a story doing the rounds about a fisherman who did a similar thing.

Chopping his own arm off, not the playing with rocks thing.

Found it, Wikipedia, I love you!

Leave a comment:

• Moose423956
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Don't worry he's still thick though.

And it's no accident as you don't put your hand/arm in moving machines.
    Thanks SueEllen. By the way, what's your favourite letter?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
    Alright already. So he's not a Darwin Award candidate. You've made your point.
    Don't worry he's still thick though.

And it's no accident as you don't put your hand/arm in moving machines.

Leave a comment:

• Moose423956
    replied
    Alright already. So he's not a Darwin Award candidate. You've made your point.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100 View Post
    Not really a Darwin candidate, otherwise you could include people who die crossing the road.

Anyway, he is technically disqualified because he has procreated (3 times), and he would only get the award when he dies.

However, it reminds me of someone who did something similar when a rock fell on his arm in the wilderness somewhere. He was trapped for something like three days before deciding it was his arm or death.
    There was a story doing the rounds about a fisherman who did a similar thing.

Chopping his own arm off, not the playing with rocks thing.

Found it, Wikipedia, I love you!

In 2007, 66-year old Al Hill amputated his leg below the knee using his pocketknife after the leg got stuck beneath a felled tree he was cutting in California. [1]
    In 2003, 27-year old Aron Ralston amputated his forearm using his pocketknife and breaking and tearing the two bones, after the arm got stuck under a boulder when hiking in Utah.
    Also in 2003, an Australian coal miner amputated his own arm with a Stanley knife after it became trapped when the front-end loader he was driving overturned three kilometers underground. [2]
    In the 1990s, a crab fisherman got his arm caught in the winch during a storm and had to amputate it at the shoulder, as reported in The New Englander.
    Last edited by Churchill; 27 November 2007, 12:46.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Not really a Darwin candidate, otherwise you could include people who die crossing the road.

Anyway, he is technically disqualified because he has procreated (3 times), and he would only get the award when he dies.

However, it reminds me of someone who did something similar when a rock fell on his arm in the wilderness somewhere. He was trapped for something like three days before deciding it was his arm or death.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
    I meant the fact that he put his hand in a moving machine, got his glove caught which dragged his fingers in, started to cut off his fingers, that caused a fire, then his hand started melting. Pillock!
    I bet looking back on it, he wishes he hadn't.

Not Darwin at all. Just an unfortunate accident.

Next.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X