• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Just out of interest..."

Collapse

• Apache
    replied
    Here http://www.propertyfinder.com/cgi-bi...&tm=1196097664

Come up North for some real culture - I mean propper North though, not Manchester or Hull or Bradford or those other deep south, french speaking, places that recruitment agents think are as far North as it's safe to go.

We have a different monetary system up here - each of your southern pounds is worth about four of our Northern pounds when it comes to buying a house.
    Last edited by Apache; 26 November 2007, 17:30.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    I got to say, you poor sods in blighty, you are getting feck all for your money

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• The Master
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Or alternatively, you could take the AK into work & blaze away at your co-workers, as seems increasingly popular.
    Excellent, o faithful minion. I see that your time with me has not been wasted.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Where are you going to work?
    I'll take a wild stab at "Somewhere in the good old US of A"???

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Yes, sell all your property to SASguru types before it's too late.
    I'm not on the market to buy. Yet

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by The Master View Post
    Or a three bedroom property in a nice part of West London if Bagpuss is doing the buying.
    Yes, sell all your property to SASguru types before it's too late.

Leave a comment:

• The Master
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    After conversion to £, that's about the price of a carppy 1-bed flat in London

I'll have 2.
    Or a three bedroom property in a nice part of West London if Bagpuss is doing the buying.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Kylie4485 View Post
    No a juicy story about Britany Spears next shameless move, or what bag Sarah Jessica Parker is showing off this week can keep me occupied for quite a while I might just have enough time to fit in The Sun

Wendover, very posh
    I worry about Britney too.

I don't actually live in Wendover. The bergers there wouldn't have me, let alone people like Clive.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Lucifer Box View Post
    $636,400 gets you 344 acres near Omaha (Morris County, Texas).

http://www.landsoftexas.com/texas/in...=&inv_id=91485

Texas as well, so to help unwind at the end of a hard week's contracting you can go to the local Wal-Mart, buy an assault rifle and blaze away at the local wildlife.
    After conversion to £, that's about the price of a crappy 1-bed flat in London

I'll have 2.

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    $636,400 gets you 344 acres near Omaha (Morris County, Texas).

http://www.landsoftexas.com/texas/in...=&inv_id=91485

This beautiful ranch has rolling hills, a lake, several ponds and a creek meandering throughout the property. There is an old barn, corrals and moderate fencing on the property. This is a productive cattle and hay grazing ranch. The property is remote and provides excellent hunting for deer, hogs and ducks.
    Texas as well, so to help unwind at the end of a hard week's contracting you can go to the local Wal-Mart, buy an assault rifle and blaze away at the local wildlife.
    Last edited by Lucifer Box; 26 November 2007, 13:41. Reason: Providing additional clarity to the information provided.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    You could retire to the US if you have the dosh. Cheap property (depends where) and low cost of living.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
    The question that you should be asking is what can I buy in the good ols US of A for $700,000 ?

It starts to make emmigration look quite attractive....

Leave a comment:

• Lucifer Box
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
    The question that you should be asking is what can I buy in the good ols US of A for $700,000 ?

One bed off plan flat in Vegas.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetai...&chnl=overseas

Looks ideal for the BTL investor.

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko View Post
    A pity that you will have to pay near 50% of the profit (if there is any) when you sell back.
    Basel Stadt starts at 60% then reduces according to how long you've owned the house. Basel Landschaft is up to 25%, with penalties if sold within 5 years. The BL tax is based on the value in real terms (i.e. taking into account the cost of living changes). But no stamp duty if you don't sell within the the first 5 years.

And if you buy another property within 6 months, the tax is deferred.

Currently, mortgage payments are 50%-70% of the amount you'd expect to pay renting. So, if you're in it for the long term, you can do quite well. And house prices in the more select areas are steadily increasing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X