• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "So which other bank is in trouble?"

Collapse

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by snaw View Post
    I reckon tough times are coming ladies and gentlemen.

I just got told my contract yesterday isn't getting renewed at a large bank (Suspect they're scared of the pay rise I'm going to ask for now I got my CCIE), plus quite a few other contractors in my area are also not being renewed (About 5 I know of just now in a team of around 30, and some still not sure what's happening) and the ones who are staying aren't getting raises.

Might be a good idea to lock in and lay low for a while.

hmm that's interesting Snaw. The bank I'm working for just laid off hundreds, mainly in the US and London. On the chat, one guy was "unplugged", "I'm redundant" he chatted, then "my applications are behaving strangely", then silence. Tough times ahead ?

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post

You're a half-wit!
    You pair ought to work in tandem then. That way the possibility of you jointly passing a comment worth listening to would become much more of a tangible option.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Another one bites.

My work here is done.

Git.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    And you are thick. The result of my search confirmed what everyone was talking about yesterday in the pub.
    Stick to basic IT or whatever it is you do.
    Another one bites.

My work here is done.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    I'm talking about your original post!

Not the result of the search you made after the event.

You tried to impress with "insider" knowledge and came a cropper.

You're a buffoon!
    And you are thick. The result of my search confirmed what everyone was talking about yesterday in the pub.
    Stick to basic IT or whatever it is you do.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Read the article. Then put on your dunce's hat and stand in the corner.

HTH
    I'm talking about your original post!

Not the result of the search you made after the event.

You tried to impress with "insider" knowledge and came a cropper.

You're a buffoon!

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    sasguru sounds more like Phoney Blair every day...
    And here's my Blair grin

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    How does "rumour on the City grapevine" get translated to "It's clear that the BofE facility is being used by another bank."?

You're a feckin half-wit!
    Read the article. Then put on your dunce's hat and stand in the corner.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    How does "rumour on the City grapevine" get translated to "It's clear"?

You're a flipin half-wit!
    sasguru sounds more like Phoney Blair every day...

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Rumour on the City grapevine ...
    How does "rumour on the City grapevine" get translated to "It's clear that the BofE facility is being used by another bank."?

You're a half-wit!
    Last edited by Churchill; 16 November 2007, 09:42.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Hopefully they put it all into off-plan city BTL apartments.
    In Brazil.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    Calm down ! Can we stick to your usual detailed analysis such as 'Boomed' or direct quotes from the BBC please.

I think you'll find the "bankers" and in particular the private equity lot have long since extracted a decent wad or two for themselves.
    Hopefully they put it all into off-plan city BTL apartments.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Interesting point in the article about Credit Default Swaps. When you do one of these deals, you're supposed to buy shares to cover the deal if a "Credit Default Event" occurs (it's essentially an insurance policy but structured as a deal).

Now, I know that there are several unscrupulous (or maybe just stupid) banks that aren't doing this (I'm not going to tell you where I got this info - so don't ask). If a major institution goes down and these CDSs have to pay out then a few other banks may follow on un-serviceable CDS deals.
    Hmmm. Interesting. Didn't know that. I get the impression we're only seeing the tip of the iceberg.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    I think they are all fooked. They have been buying, repackaging, blending, remixing, repackaging and reselling complex financial "products" all contaminated with sub-prime debt for some time.

All I hope is the stupid greedy "bankers" are the ones chucking themselves out of the windows when it all finally collapses on itself.
    I don't think they are all fooked - there will be winners and losers as always.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Actually yesterday's rumour confirmed by Times today:

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle2879603.ece
    Interesting point in the article about Credit Default Swaps. When you do one of these deals, you're supposed to buy shares to cover the deal if a "Credit Default Event" occurs (it's essentially an insurance policy but structured as a deal).

Now, I know that there are several unscrupulous (or maybe just stupid) banks that aren't doing this (I'm not going to tell you where I got this info - so don't ask). If a major institution goes down and these CDSs have to pay out then a few other banks may follow on un-serviceable CDS deals.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X