• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So which other bank is in trouble?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I reckon tough times are coming ladies and gentlemen.

I just got told my contract yesterday isn't getting renewed at a large bank (Suspect they're scared of the pay rise I'm going to ask for now I got my CCIE), plus quite a few other contractors in my area are also not being renewed (About 5 I know of just now in a team of around 30, and some still not sure what's happening) and the ones who are staying aren't getting raises.

Might be a good idea to lock in and lay low for a while.
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

I think they are all fooked. They have been buying, repackaging, blending, remixing, repackaging and reselling complex financial "products" all contaminated with sub-prime debt for some time.

All I hope is the stupid greedy "bankers" are the ones chucking themselves out of the windows when it all finally collapses on itself.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        And how long can the govt go on bailing out institutions?
        Bailing out? You mean "investing in them"!

They'll carry on until both the national debt and personal debt exceed our annual GNP, then we're all f***ed.

Did I say "until"? Actually, we're past that point aren't we...

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          I think they are all fooked. They have been buying, repackaging, blending, remixing, repackaging and reselling complex financial "products" all contaminated with sub-prime debt for some time.

All I hope is the stupid greedy "bankers" are the ones chucking themselves out of the windows when it all finally collapses on itself.
          Calm down ! Can we stick to your usual detailed analysis such as 'Boomed' or direct quotes from the BBC please.

I think you'll find the "bankers" and in particular the private equity lot have long since extracted a decent wad or two for themselves.

Comment

Actually yesterday's rumour confirmed by Times today:

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle2879603.ece
            Interesting point in the article about Credit Default Swaps. When you do one of these deals, you're supposed to buy shares to cover the deal if a "Credit Default Event" occurs (it's essentially an insurance policy but structured as a deal).

Now, I know that there are several unscrupulous (or maybe just stupid) banks that aren't doing this (I'm not going to tell you where I got this info - so don't ask). If a major institution goes down and these CDSs have to pay out then a few other banks may follow on un-serviceable CDS deals.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I don't think they are all fooked - there will be winners and losers as always.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                Interesting point in the article about Credit Default Swaps. When you do one of these deals, you're supposed to buy shares to cover the deal if a "Credit Default Event" occurs (it's essentially an insurance policy but structured as a deal).

Now, I know that there are several unscrupulous (or maybe just stupid) banks that aren't doing this (I'm not going to tell you where I got this info - so don't ask). If a major institution goes down and these CDSs have to pay out then a few other banks may follow on un-serviceable CDS deals.
                Hmmm. Interesting. Didn't know that. I get the impression we're only seeing the tip of the iceberg.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
                  Calm down ! Can we stick to your usual detailed analysis such as 'Boomed' or direct quotes from the BBC please.

I think you'll find the "bankers" and in particular the private equity lot have long since extracted a decent wad or two for themselves.
                  Hopefully they put it all into off-plan city BTL apartments.

Comment

Hopefully they put it all into off-plan city BTL apartments.
                    In Brazil.

Comment

Rumour on the City grapevine ...
                      How does "rumour on the City grapevine" get translated to "It's clear that the BofE facility is being used by another bank."?

You're a half-wit!
                      Last edited by Churchill; 16 November 2007, 09:42.

Comment

Working...
                      X