• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Contractors favorite gourmet food."

Collapse

• Money Money Money
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    well, ideally overnight, if not as long as possible, i was thinking that the money money money was cooking this evening and so really as soon as he gets home..

when you pour the marinade over it and cook it adds flavour, its just better if you marinade it longer..

Sounds lovely, forgot to mention that I'm not too keen on fish, but will give it a go as the only other replies I have received have been about Jews and Muslims!!!

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
    I see your point NotAllThere, but we’ll have to agree to differ, Paul/Peter and all are humans, they were not Prophets. Hence I am inclined to follow God’s law rather than followers interpretation.
    There is no need to agree or disagree with me - I'm presenting my understanding of orthodox Christian positions. Not my personal beliefs. Paul and Peter, as far as Christians are concerned, wrote scripture, and were inspired by God to do so. Ergo, what they wrote are not followers' interpretations. Peter's vision, if taken at face value, was a message from God - not an idea that he had.

Only 4 books of the Bible contain much that is "the law". The remaining 62 books contain purported history, letters, prophecy, poetry and sayings. ( Catholics have more than 66 books in their bibles, but the extras are seen as to not be on the same footing as scripture - but useful for teaching ).

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Chef - good recipe, how long do you leave the salmon in the marinade before you cook ( i.e. it doesn't require over night marinating?)
    well, ideally overnight, if not as long as possible, i was thinking that the money money money was cooking this evening and so really as soon as he gets home..

when you pour the marinade over it and cook it adds flavour, its just better if you marinade it longer..

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    Chef - good recipe, how long do you leave the salmon in the marinade before you cook ( i.e. it doesn't require over night marinating?)

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I know this recipe and it's very good. But be careful not to overcook the salmon. It should be almost raw in the middle. Of course this means you need to get it very fresh. I think 3-4 minutes per side is way overdoing it.
    many thanks for agreeing and good point, i LOVE salmon and always get large fillets

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Peter was concerned when a gentile became a Christian. He saw a vision of a whole load of, to the Jew, unclean foods. God told him to eat. He said "no way, that's unclean". God said "Don't say that anything I've made clean is unclean". Peter saw that gentiles become Christian wasn't a problem, and saw no reason not to baptise the gentile, nor to not allow gentiles into the church, which was until then, an exclusively Jewish sect.

Except that that way of eating is in the New Testament, which is viewed by many to be a book of God. I.e. eat what you like so long as it isn't bad for your health and doesn't offend others.

From a point of view of health, a Kosher or Halal or Hindu or Jedi diet may well be very good. But my understanding is that the Jewish/Muslim diets are based on certain foods being "clean" or "unclean", rather than health. That is, someone who eats pork is ceremonially unclean and cannot approach God. And therefore, if I don't eat pork I'm in some way better/more spiritual/more acceptable to God than you, you bacon sarnie guzzling little heathen.

The orthodox Christian interpretation (as seen in Acts according to what happened to Peter and in Paul's writings), is that since Jesus made all his followers "clean", they no longer had to worry about what they eat from a clean/unclean perspective. Jesus said you should be more concerned about what comes out of your mouth - what you say - than what comes in - what you eat.

I see your point NotAllThere, but we’ll have to agree to differ, Paul/Peter and all are humans, they were not Prophets. Hence I am inclined to follow God’s law rather than followers interpretation.

Also there are other non-food related laws that has been repeated in both Torah and Koran e.g. using human images- not have a list of all repeated laws, but it would be interesting to compare the two.

Only one thing I wonder about, it’s the allowing/prohibition of Alcohol, from reading in some history articles, Alcohol was originally allowed in Islam, then gradually after Hijra ( immigrating from Mecca to Al-Medina) Alcohol was prohibited. Not sure if there is an actual verse in the Koran to prohibit Alcohol – again it was an interpretation, and something that was introduced to control the crowd.

BTW: Hinduism, Sikh, Buddhism are all philosophies – good philosophies but they were not inspired by God like Islam Christianity and Judaism.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I know this recipe and it's very good. But be careful not to overcook the salmon. It should be almost raw in the middle. Of course this means you need to get it very fresh. I think 3-4 minutes per side is way overdoing it.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    best easiest dish ever

this dish is easy to make, delcious to eat, not to heavy (so bedtime aerobics is still an option), best served with a chilled bottle of crisp white wine or 2 ;-)

Salmon with Thai Ginger Marinade
    served with Mango and Avocado Salad

Preparation time: 5-10 mins tops
    Cooking time: 10 mins

Fresh Salmon fillets x 2 - skin on or off doesnt matter

Marinade:
    2 tblspn Balsamic Vinegar
    1 tblspn Olive Oil
    2 tblspn Thai Sweet Chilli Sauce (asian section of supermarket)
    2cm thumb of Ginger skin/husk removed sliced

Salad:
    1 avocado
    1 pack of diced mango chunks (sold in sainburys)
    1 juicy orange
    1 spring onion (optional)
    1/2 iceberg lettuce or other crisp lettuce leaves

to prepare:
    1) Take marinade ingredients, mix in wide bowl
    2) place salmon fillets in bowl, cover in marinade
    3) place salmon in fridge until ready to cook
    4) put wine in fridge

to cook:

Salmon
    1) Heat small amount of oil in frying pan
    2) Take salmon from marinade, and cook skin side down (if it has skin)
    3) when half cooked (3 or 4 mins) turn over
    4) pour marinade over salmon, cook for 3 or 4 mins further
    5) once cooked, serve salmon, add s tblspn balsamic vinegar to deglaze pan, pour glaze over salmon

Salad
    5) peel and de-stone avocado, cut into inch wide cubes
    6) open pack of mango chunks (usually in inch wide cubes)
    7) slice spring onion
    8) rip in half a few leaves of lettuce
    8) add all salad to nice bowl, squeeze over juice from the orange

Serve salmon on plate, take salad bowl and tongs, enjoy

For dessert buy Haagen Daaz Vanilla Ice cream and Rasberry Cheesecake from supermarket.

Delicious food, lady is ALWAYS impressed, very little effort on your half

HTH

Chef

p.s sorry about the delay in replying, been a bit hectic recently
    Last edited by chef; 15 November 2007, 13:58.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Peter was concerned when a gentile became a Christian. He saw a vision of a whole load of, to the Jew, unclean foods. God told him to eat. He said "no way, that's unclean". God said "Don't say that anything I've made clean is unclean". Peter saw that gentiles become Christian wasn't a problem, and saw no reason not to baptise the gentile, nor to not allow gentiles into the church, which was until then, an exclusively Jewish sect.

As I thought, the way Christian ate was all human interpretation, it was not written in any book of God.
    Except that that way of eating is in the New Testament, which is viewed by many to be a book of God. I.e. eat what you like so long as it isn't bad for your health and doesn't offend others.

From a point of view of health, a Kosher or Halal or Hindu or Jedi diet may well be very good. But my understanding is that the Jewish/Muslim diets are based on certain foods being "clean" or "unclean", rather than health. That is, someone who eats pork is ceremonially unclean and cannot approach God. And therefore, if I don't eat pork I'm in some way better/more spiritual/more acceptable to God than you, you bacon sarnie guzzling little heathen.

The orthodox Christian interpretation (as seen in Acts according to what happened to Peter and in Paul's writings), is that since Jesus made all his followers "clean", they no longer had to worry about what they eat from a clean/unclean perspective. Jesus said you should be more concerned about what comes out of your mouth - what you say - than what comes in - what you eat.

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    darn, as usual I need to register before I get any info from the site

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    Btw: did you know there is a diet called the Maker’s diet, someone Jordan Rubin, he suffered from various allergies and diabetes and I think chronic fatigue syndrome, someone suggested to him, why don’t you eat according to the Torah (I assume he must be Jewish) and apparently the diet cured a lot of his allergies by eliminating food that was toxic to his body, he wrote a book about it. I haven’t read the book, but I am intrigued to read more about it.

I suppose the diet wont work for atheist cuz it seems some of the rational is spiritual / religious

Am gona start with reading his site

http://www.makersdiet.com

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    Not all there, many thanks, your post is very useful (for me at least)
    Apologies for mixing up, I thought it was Paul but you are right it was Peter who was didn’t want to eat with the gentile (am sure it was shellfish though, don’t know where I got that from – memory not that great though)

As I thought, the way Christian ate was all human interpretation, it was not written in any book of God. Hence I think the Jewish/Islamic way of Kosher eating is the right way.

As for interpreting the goat kid cooked in milk to be all contamination of meat and milk I think is extreme, again another human interpretation, however, it may be sensible (I like chicken stuffed with cream cheese )

Thanks again you are a wealth of knowledge, I may call up on your knowledge again if I may

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    In a hotel room ? Did you raise the alarm and everyone had to evacuate the hotel because of you? I hate it when thoughtless people like you do that.
    My hotel room has a 2 ring cooker, a fridge and a pizza oven in it. Its more of a hotel/apartment and because I've been there so long, when they put the prices up next year, I get it for the same price as this year. Nice...

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Money Money Money View Post
    Kobe beef? Not cheap!
    Grille on the alley in Manchester does a Kobe steak for a mere £50.

Got the Lobster instead though!
    I had kobe beef in the Buddha Bar in Paris a few years ago. Quite tasty, but not worth the cost.

Stick to lobster.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    If I recall it correctly, Jesus said he was sent to complete the testament (i.e. the old testament) the new testament is a kind of biography of his life, however he still recognised the old testament, most Jewish laws (dos and don’ts) are also repeated in the Koran.
    However, Christian interpreted the fact Jesus freed them to be they are allowed to do whatever they like (as long as they agree with the commandment)

Apart from one story about Paul not wanting to eat shellfish with the local (cuz he was still stuck in his old Jewish eating ways) then feeling bad about snubbing the locals and what they are eating, I haven’t ready anywhere that Jesus actually did eat the stuff that were not allowed in the old testament.

The repetition of some of the laws in the Koran concludes to me that the source of all these commandment is the same (no pork, no blood, Kosher (or halal) , separate the clean and the dirty (contamination) etc etc
    However the shellfish issue and mixing meat and cheese(diary) is not repeated in the Koran (I think)

Again, new age diets have invented other foods i.e. human eating other carnivore animals (e.g. alligator steak etc – not sure how healthy is that) the norm is for humans to only eat vegetarian animals (cows/sheep/chicken/duck/ geese) that’s why we got the plague of mad cow disease when farmers started feeding their cows and sheep animal protein – from my research into the matter usually there is a very good reason for most of these laws in the ancient books. And I do believe the laws are consistent.

As for your question why are they there – it’s the cycle of life, predator species are there to control the population of other species, other species are there because they benefit the soil or use up waste created by other species (e.g. worms) nature is orchestrated in an amazing way.
    If you wonder about the prohibition about shellfish, have a look at what shellfish actually eat.

Jews are not permitted, according to the Torah, to eat a goat-kid that's been cooked in its mother's milk. This has been interpreted by subsequent Jewish teachers as don't ever eat milk and meat products together, to prevent the remotest possibility of this happening, and thereby causing an inadvertant sin.

The new testament consists of four books about Jesus's life, by four different authors (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John), for four different purposes, in four different styles. Matthew and Luke draw, according to most scholars, on the same source material, but have significant additional material of their own. There is the book of Acts, which was written by Luke, and describes the early Christian experiences after Jesus' death and resurrection. This is followed by many letters written to the various Christian groups, in the Roman world, in the early 1st century. All of which (except the letter to the Hebrews, which was a letter to the Jewish Christians in Rome), attest to authorship by Paul, Timothy, John, Peter, Jude and James. ( I may have missed one or two). The final book is the book of Revelations, which is an apocalyptic vision, supposedly given by Jesus to John, when John was exiled on Patmos. With the exception possibly of Luke, the whole new testament was written by Jews, either in Greek or Aramaic.

Jesus said that he had come to fulfil the law, not to abolish it. He also said that you fulfil the law by adhering to two commandments.

1) Love the Lord your God with all your heart and mind and soul.
    2) Love others as much as you love yourself.

There is no story that I am aware of about Paul refusing to eat shellfish because he was stuck in his Jewish ways. Quite the opposite in fact. Paul rebuked Peter because he would eat with the gentiles so long as no Jews were around. Paul rightly called him a hypocrite.

There were issues in the early church about what Christian Jews and Gentiles should eat. The eventual decision, reach in accord with Paul, by the Jerusalem church, was that Gentiles should abstain from eating blood, and that Jews should generally stick to the Jewish dietary laws. However, these were not new laws. It is very clear that all are free to eat whatever they want, so long as it doesn't harm themselves, and doesn't offend others (so a Jewish Christian tucking into a bacon sandwich and having a glass of milk in front of an Hasidic Jew, is not really on; but neither is it on for a Jewish Christian to NOT accept a glass of milk and a bacon sarnie offered in a Gentile home. ).

All of this is simply my understanding of the orthodox position, and of course is debated on all points.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X