• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How miserly are you?"

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    Hey one learns summit from z. Apart from suitable herbs to use when cooking small children.

This word discrete (separable) is not the same as discreet (prudent, private).
    Last edited by xoggoth; 1 November 2007, 16:30.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    I hate spending money. I would rather spend my entire life hunched up miserably in a damp dark cupboard than spend money. The missus wants to spend about £15k of my hard earned savings on utterly tedious stuff like new shower room and bathroom. I keep telling her I don't want to spend thousands on things like showers and baths that I do not use more twice a year but she does not listen.

Does anyone have the address of a discrete but very cheap contract killer? She is insured.
    I'll do it forra fiver!

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    I hate spending money. I would rather spend my entire life hunched up miserably in a damp dark cupboard than spend money. The missus wants to spend about £15k of my hard earned savings on utterly tedious stuff like new shower room and bathroom. I keep telling her I don't want to spend thousands on things like showers and baths that I do not use more twice a year but she does not listen.

Does anyone have the address of a discrete but very cheap contract killer? She is insured.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Yes, get down Oxfam now, and spend it like it's going out of fashion, by the end of the day if you are not up to your eyeballs in staw hats, free trade marmalade and 80s powersuits, then what kind of man are ya?

Pah!
    Fair trade marmalade, surely?

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    You misundertsand Sandy (as usual) that was my suggestion for you.

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    That's why she can't move. Trapped in the system. Sandy didn't you say you were working too many hours? Can't see the irony, eh?

Jeez, women's "logic"
    SAS- huh - ?? may be you are not making sense cuz am a woman wearing a Burka

Tay - thank god you made the right decision and killed yourself, you did humanity a big favour there

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by tay View Post
    That's why she can't move. Trapped in the system. Sandy didn't you say you were working too many hours? Can't see the irony, eh?

Jeez, women's "logic"

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    Btw: if you and wifey are contractors, I presume you don’t have a mortgage, an easily afford all the bills, but what are you saving for? Are you going to take it to the grave
    I am only miserly as I am lazy, the more I save and invest now, the sooner I can stop working.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Yes, get down Oxfam now, and spend it like it's going out of fashion, by the end of the day if you are not up to your eyeballs in staw hats, free trade marmalade and 80s powersuits, then what kind of man are ya?

Pah!

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    Originally posted by tay View Post
    I am miserly more on the % of income I spend rather than the £ amount. If I dropped back to an average wage.. I would be considered more of a spender. But like nearly all of us here, I earn very good money so the £ amount from the % I save is very high. The more I earn over a certain amount always goes into savings. I have no desire to have the latest toys, latest gadgets or indulge in some vain attempt to look like I have lots of money.

If you came around to our home you would not be able to tell I am IT contractor and she is an accountant contractor, we dont feel any need to impress others by material stuff... and we dont have some mental hang up that equates spending money to self worth.
    I don’t buy stuff to impress others, I buy them cuz I have a passion for it, I like to cook and love having the right tools, I also LOVE China (Villeroy & Boch is my favourite ) and cut glass /crystal , I think of it as pieces of arts, I am not a big or impulsive spender, but when I see something I really really like then I get it.

Btw: if you and wifey are contractors, I presume you don’t have a mortgage, an easily afford all the bills, but what are you saving for? Are you going to take it to the grave

Leave a comment:

• Dark Black
    replied
    Primark rocks!

Leave a comment:

• tay
    replied
    So true... but don't deny yourself the odd treat now and again eh. I've seen stingy and seriously stingy people. Luckily for many contractors they can have a few luxuries and still stick away 80% of their earnings into investments/savings.
    I am miserly more on the % of income I spend rather than the £ amount. If I dropped back to an average wage.. I would be considered more of a spender. But like nearly all of us here, I earn very good money so the £ amount from the % I save is very high. The more I earn over a certain amount always goes into savings. I have no desire to have the latest toys, latest gadgets or indulge in some vain attempt to look like I have lots of money.

If you came around to our home you would not be able to tell I am IT contractor and she is an accountant contractor, we dont feel any need to impress others by material stuff... and we dont have some mental hang up that equates spending money to self worth.
    Last edited by tay; 31 October 2007, 12:46.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Bejesus, this is sounding more and more like www.moneysavingexpert.com

Tramps.

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    I know some stingy middle class people who shop in Neto/Aldi and buy clothes from charity shops

Hey I go to charity shop - sometimes I find good kitchen gadget in charity shops, mostly still in their own boxes, also I find good cut glass and ceramic pots which are really expensive normally

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Charity shops are good for retro leather Jackets, but I wouldn't buy my under krackers there

Leave a comment:

Working...
X