• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How miserly are you?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    I know some stingy middle class people who shop in Neto/Aldi and buy clothes from charity shops
    That's what some aristos do too. Rich people know the value of a quid.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

I know some stingy middle class people who shop in Neto/Aldi and buy clothes from charity shops
      Neto/Aldi/Lidl sell some good stuff.

And you don't need to go to charity shops if you do the supermarkets and Primark.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Charity shops are good for retro leather Jackets, but I wouldn't buy my under krackers there
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Hey I go to charity shop - sometimes I find good kitchen gadget in charity shops, mostly still in their own boxes, also I find good cut glass and ceramic pots which are really expensive normally

Comment

Bejesus, this is sounding more and more like www.moneysavingexpert.com

Tramps.

Comment

So true... but don't deny yourself the odd treat now and again eh. I've seen stingy and seriously stingy people. Luckily for many contractors they can have a few luxuries and still stick away 80% of their earnings into investments/savings.
              I am miserly more on the % of income I spend rather than the £ amount. If I dropped back to an average wage.. I would be considered more of a spender. But like nearly all of us here, I earn very good money so the £ amount from the % I save is very high. The more I earn over a certain amount always goes into savings. I have no desire to have the latest toys, latest gadgets or indulge in some vain attempt to look like I have lots of money.

If you came around to our home you would not be able to tell I am IT contractor and she is an accountant contractor, we dont feel any need to impress others by material stuff... and we dont have some mental hang up that equates spending money to self worth.
              Last edited by tay; 31 October 2007, 12:46.

Comment

Primark rocks!
                Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by tay View Post
                  I am miserly more on the % of income I spend rather than the £ amount. If I dropped back to an average wage.. I would be considered more of a spender. But like nearly all of us here, I earn very good money so the £ amount from the % I save is very high. The more I earn over a certain amount always goes into savings. I have no desire to have the latest toys, latest gadgets or indulge in some vain attempt to look like I have lots of money.

If you came around to our home you would not be able to tell I am IT contractor and she is an accountant contractor, we dont feel any need to impress others by material stuff... and we dont have some mental hang up that equates spending money to self worth.
                  I don’t buy stuff to impress others, I buy them cuz I have a passion for it, I like to cook and love having the right tools, I also LOVE China (Villeroy & Boch is my favourite ) and cut glass /crystal , I think of it as pieces of arts, I am not a big or impulsive spender, but when I see something I really really like then I get it.

Btw: if you and wifey are contractors, I presume you don’t have a mortgage, an easily afford all the bills, but what are you saving for? Are you going to take it to the grave

Comment

Yes, get down Oxfam now, and spend it like it's going out of fashion, by the end of the day if you are not up to your eyeballs in staw hats, free trade marmalade and 80s powersuits, then what kind of man are ya?

Pah!
                    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Btw: if you and wifey are contractors, I presume you don’t have a mortgage, an easily afford all the bills, but what are you saving for? Are you going to take it to the grave
                      I am only miserly as I am lazy, the more I save and invest now, the sooner I can stop working.

Comment

Working...
                      X