• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Best place to live 2007"

Collapse

• Bagpuss
    replied
    The only true way to find the best places to live is to live there. It's no good looking at some Government adjusted health/education stats, or corrupted police figures to decide where is good or not. Some of the places they have listed as being 'the worst' are quite good places to live e.g. Nottingham

some listed as the best are dull as ditchwater (see last year's winner Horsham)

It seemed everywhere they listed as a great place to live with low crime was an old peoples open prison, what a wonderfull vibrant place that would be for anyone under 60. I'm surprised Eastbourne didn't win.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Chantho View Post
    Chan

Pollok
    And once home to the largest Tesco in Scotland. There's a claim to fame.

It was the sight of all the graffiti outside the building proclaiming "Up the INLA" and "F*** the Polis" which topped it all off.

Leave a comment:

• Sockpuppet
    replied
    This is the "best" place to live its the "best place we can think of and still justify based on our own warped perceptions of the best place to live".

No doubt some C4 exec has a BTL portfolio in Edinburgh that he needs to ramp the value up on.

Leave a comment:

• Chantho
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    You're not wrong there. I worked in Cowglen, near Pollock for a year.

Never again.
    Chan

Pollok

Leave a comment:

• Hevra
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    That's because nobody wants to get to anywhere in Redditch anyway.

As Microsoft would say, "This behaviour is by design."
    <nerd>

Or as Blizzard would say, 'Working as intended.'

</nerd>

Hevra

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
    You can't actually get anywhere IN redditch once you're on the ring road.
    That's because nobody wants to get to anywhere in Redditch anyway.

As Microsoft would say, "This behaviour is by design."

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    You'd think so wouldn't you. Yet I've lived down south all of my 35+ years, sometimes in dodgy parts of London, got tulip faced and staggered home out of my head at all hours and never been a victim of crime or witnessed it (apart from some football hooligans fighting - and they were from the north).

Perhaps it's me committing all the crime when I'm tulipfaced.

Let's be honest sg, most muggers would take one look at your dishevelled appearance and either offer you money for a can or two of Special Brew, or at the very least let you amble harmlessly by. You would need to go on one of those makeover programmes just to be allowed to sell the Big Issue!!

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    So it's crime crime crime everywhere down south by the sounds of it. Hence why Auld reekie came out top!
    You'd think so wouldn't you. Yet I've lived down south all of my 35+ years, sometimes in dodgy parts of London, got tulip faced and staggered home out of my head at all hours and never been a victim of crime or witnessed it (apart from some football hooligans fighting - and they were from the north).

Perhaps it's me committing all the crime when I'm tulipfaced.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    So it's crime crime crime everywhere down south by the sounds of it. Hence why Auld reekie came out top!

Leave a comment:

• Nicky G
    replied
    Presenters Choices

http://www.channel4.com/4homes/ontv/...orst_best.html
    http://www.channel4.com/4homes/ontv/...rst_worst.html

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by lexington_spurs View Post
    There is absolutely nowhere like Glasgow.
    You're not wrong there. I worked in Cowglen, near Pollock for a year.

Never again.

Leave a comment:

• lexington_spurs
    replied
    Originally posted by chasingtheaurora View Post
    Embra? Sod that (and I speak as a Scot).

Live somewhere like Glasgow - much better!
    There is absolutely nowhere like Glasgow.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
    No - you're thinking of Redditch. You can't actually get anywhere IN redditch once you're on the ring road.

I was born in Coventry and still have family there and I CAN actually find my way around without resorting to sat-nav.
    No - I got stuck on the Coventry ring road when I was working at Marconi. Three months later, I finally managed to get off at the exit and never looked back.

Leave a comment:

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Coventry????

Get on the ring road and you'll be there forever, or until you crash.
    No - you're thinking of Redditch. You can't actually get anywhere IN redditch once you're on the ring road.

I was born in Coventry and still have family there and I CAN actually find my way around without resorting to sat-nav.

Leave a comment:

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Crosby View Post
    Solihull?
    Solihull's a nice enough place but its really just a posh area of Birmingham

Leave a comment:

Working...
X