• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Fury at DNA pioneer's theory: Africans are less intelligent than Westerners"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by daviejones View Post
    Don't see why they dropped him. He did some research and published his findings...people should get over it.
    Science museum is mostly visited by schools so there would be a boycott of it by loads of local education authorities.

Anyway what journal where his findings written up in?

Leave a comment:

• daviejones
    replied
    Don't see why they dropped him. He did some research and published his findings...people should get over it.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    He's been dropped by the science museum:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7050020.stm

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    You did not say invasions generally z, you said "Gates of Vienna" which usually refers to (looks it up) the siege of Vienna in 1683 which was Ottoman. So ya boo sucks.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    [url]Just as well the Khan died or we'd all be riding horses & living in yurts.
    On the other hand getting shagged would be a lot easier.
    Last edited by sasguru; 18 October 2007, 09:32.

Leave a comment:

• mrdonuts
    replied
    mongol hordes were knocking at the door, then someone popped their clogs or whatever it is they wear in mongolia and they all trooped off home for the funeral instead

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    "To simply dismiss something because it not PC is no better than embracing it because it suits a racist agenda. "
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    There would have been no problem whatever if the results had been the other way around of course...
    Indeed.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    My history is a little hazy, but wasn't that Ottoman?
    The Ottomans certainly but I seem to remember the Mongols overran parts of Europe too.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    c) Considering that we second raters have ruled the world for much of the last five hundred years while the brighter Asians have languished, intelligence is clearly not the major factor in success anyway.

500 years is a small period of time considering the first civilisations emerged thousands of years BC. And we are now seeing the beginning of the end of Western dominance. These things are cyclical.
    My theory is that the West's rediscovery of science and rationality in the 16th and 17th centuries laid the foundations of an extraordinarily technical society which could then dominate the world. Scientists were the celebrities of their age. Newton was feted as the most famous man of his time and even in the 19th century people flocked to see Faraday's lectures.
    Now we have Jade Goody and David Beckham. C'est la vie.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    My history is a little hazy, but wasn't that Ottoman?

Leave a comment:

• Iron Condor
    replied
    Id never thought about this question before i read this thread.

But it got me thinking.

I can name losts of great and famous black athletes, politicans and TV/Film stars but why cant i name any black person famous for being really clever (eg a famous scientist etc)

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    To simply dismiss something because it not PC is no better than embracing it because it suits a racist agenda.

The arguments against these studies do not add up - all the experts have no idea how to make a culture independent test? (in fact they include things like counting backwards) Why should cultures in different parts of the same US cities be different anyway? How can all the tests be conducted by closet white racists if the same conclusions have been reached by others and they put whites behind Asians?

In practice I think the important points are:

a) There is an enormous overlap.

b) The differences are within the bounds of demographic variation. The brightest are supposed to be Jews but the theories say they should be behind Chinese etc. It is selective breeding. In Africa too, bad diet is a factor.

c) Considering that we second raters have ruled the world for much of the last five hundred years while the brighter Asians have languished, intelligence is clearly not the major factor in success anyway.

Leave a comment:

• mrdonuts
    replied
    i dont think the professor quoted the bell curve, that appears to have been added by the writer, it would seem he is calling on his well developed understanding of DNA to make his claims

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Maybe a better analogy would be Ferraris' go on average faster than Fords'.
    That was my point, the statement is confounded by other more important issues, the effect is not determined by the colour

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    But it's about as informative as Red cars go faster than Green cars
    Maybe a better analogy would be Ferraris' go on average faster than Fords'.

People in Africa have other priorities in life than calculus - getting food and drink is much more important.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X