• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Car Trouble....

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Car Trouble...."

Collapse

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    By a Rolls Royce like I did then your guaranteed a decent car life expectancy

HTH

Threaded
    you're

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post

HTH

Threaded
    Buy

Or was it deliberate?

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied

HTH

Threaded

Leave a comment:

• scorchio
    replied
    Had same problem with a 306 I used to own. Problem was with Ignition leads, replaced them and was fine after that. I also had it happen when I went through a puddle and water has sprayed up into the electrics in the engine bay because there is no sump guard to prevent them getting soaked.

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    When my car broke down last week I actually thought seriously for a few moments about buying a cheap second-hand car to get me to London and back, figuring I could sell it again once mine came back from the garage.

Then sanity prevailed and I got a first class rail ticket.
    If I could go by train I would.

My gig only lasts another 3 months - I don't want to buy a car for that.

Thats why I want to look into leasing...

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Bear View Post
    In fact - just go and buy a new car and be done with it!
    When my car broke down last week I actually thought seriously for a few moments about buying a cheap second-hand car to get me to London and back, figuring I could sell it again once mine came back from the garage.

Then sanity prevailed and I got a first class rail ticket.

Leave a comment:

• Bear
    replied
    Okay - so what are you going to do when you get your diagnostics thingy, find out the code, work out what it means (I find the descriptions on those rather wide ranging) and discover that there is a major problem.

You're going to take it to the garage to get it fixed!! - or the sensors f*cked - and you take it to someone to get it fixed!!

Why waste your time - take it in and get it sorted. I find most garages are really helpful and don't rip you off, particularly if you build a rapport with them.

Stop trying to save a few quid by spending days figuring it out.

FFS - are you contractors or shelf stackers.

In fact - just go and buy a new car and be done with it!

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    The electrics on French cars are notoriously poo. If you are really tight e.g. from Yorkshire, you could try running it in the dark, if there is an obvious short it will light up like the Blackpool illuminations
    or I could torch it and claim on the insurance...

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    The electrics on French cars are notoriously poo. If you are really tight e.g. from Yorkshire, you could try running it in the dark, if there is an obvious short it will light up like the Blackpool illuminations

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied
    Wife has just told me that the red STOP came on the other day.

What did you do I asked ?

"Nothing"

aghhhhhhhhhh......

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    I had a similar issue with an ABS sensor recently, warning light indicated ABS system, yet with a multimeter I found the fault as a sensor, not the actual system. A backstreet garage couldn't find the fault (luckily I knew the guy so he did it for nothing.)

It's probably something simple, but most garages won't make it simple. An easy bit of DIY (as easy as plugging in a power lead to a computer) could save you 100s
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 15 October 2007, 12:38.

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    I've just shown you how to diagnose the fault for under £20

You plug it in check the code, look it up on the table, BINGO. If no code is stored the sensor is FCUKed

Cheers puss - I think I'll get one anyway.

The advise on getting the diognostic report is a good idea anyway - my local garage does that anyway - I did though want to avoid a main dealer...

Now, can I put down the code checker as a ligitimate business expense ?
    If the invoice says "code checker" I think I'll b ok !

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    I've just shown you how to diagnose the fault for under £20

You plug it in check the code, look it up on the table, BINGO. If no code is stored the sensor is FCUKed

Leave a comment:

• Bluebird
    replied
    Originally posted by DS23 View Post
    were you low on fuel at time or had recently run the tank low?
    no.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PEUGEOT-106-20...QQcmdZViewItem

Leave a comment:

Working...
X