• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Worst health and safety BS"

Collapse

• xoggoth
    replied
    Lifting restrictions are plain daft. The garden seat that I can easily carry down the garden had a sign on it that said two people were required to turn it over when painting. Brought some patio slabs last year and these hulking great blokes were carrying them to my van one by one.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    It can do better than that. In certain sectors you can kill a project (or at least a workstream) stone dead by sitting in the corner of a meeting and going "hmmm....there might be health and safety issues with that". "Data protection issues" works too.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Next time someone tells you something is a 'health and safety issure', ask them which one it is, health or safety. Should stump them for a moment.

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
    All new starters here (even the temp receptionist!!) undergo a mornings' H & S instruction, which includes a half hour video on the correct way to lift boxes.
    that was the same when I was at Esso.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    LoL

It made me think that surely if you are taking on staff who don't know the basics, like how to use stairs, then you should really be looking at who you are taking on in the first place. The last time I fell down the stairs was 30 something years ago and that was only to see if I could jump as many as Steve Austin. I couldn't and ended up in hospital for an x-ray. Since then I have actually managed pretty well on the stairs and not fallen down them.

Leave a comment:

• thunderlizard
    replied
    BP are the kings of Health and Safety nonsense. Although the 'on point' women who make sure you go through the security barriers at Canary Wharf safely are at least frequently good-looking.

My favourites: the email that reminded you to chew apples properly before swallowing them; and the guy who went to a party and ticked off the host for serving coffee in unlidded cups.

(oddly, I don't remember one about "If you've got a Texan refinery make sure it doesn't keep blowing up and killing people")

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
    And.... ?
    For me to know and for you to continue to speculate on! Life would be boring if you knew everything.

You will work it out one day.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Apologies TheFaQQer. I was obviously too busy working (downloading and installing software) to answer your question.
    I was downloading and installing all sorts of things last night. Don't think it was software though...

That's where I get to see Zeity in person / lizard-form!

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Apologies TheFaQQer. I was obviously too busy working (downloading and installing software) to answer your question.
    Working! are you sure you're on the right board.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    And.... ?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    SueEllen

You're new here so has someone already asked you the obligatory question, and have you passed the test?
    I did, and no.

Leave a comment:

• Muttley08
    replied
    Not that new - join date Nov 2005. Just haven't been posting.
    I think you sidestepped the question there in a fine Tony Blair styleee

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    SueEllen

You're new here so has someone already asked you the obligatory question, and have you passed the test?
    Not that new - join date Nov 2005. Just haven't been posting.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    To keep claims down..

Companies should avoid hiring unlucky people by throwing half of job applications in the bin.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X