• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Doing Ramadan

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Doing Ramadan"

Collapse

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by GreenerGrass View Post
    Its not fair, the boys do hiking and paintballing holidays.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
    Ok Saudi have announced that tomorrow is Eid...

Was hoping it will be Sat, and I didn't give away Zakaat yet !!

But Happy Eid everyone
    Don't try and oppress me with your heathen rantings!

Anyway, if you were a real muslim you'd have blown yourself up by now.
    Last edited by Churchill; 12 October 2007, 07:31.

Leave a comment:

• GreenerGrass
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill View Post
    Are going the whole hog with this Muslim thing?

Subjugation, covering up your face?
    Its not fair, the boys do hiking and paintballing holidays.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    Nigeria had eid today! Saudi friday..well I suppose technically it is the new moon, even if you can't see it. Considering that Hajj is in Saudi and on a specific day, how do these countries resolve the day difference?

Zakat is only compulsory for muslims.as the above poster stated. Don't fret over it.

Say, George Bush did a iftar dinner at the white house, did Gordon Brown do anything similar?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied

But Happy Eid everyone
    London have got a big Eid celebration on Saturday. It depends on the calendar that your mosque follows, rather than what the Saudis say - as I said earlier, my sister's school was split a few years ago because the two local mosques followed different calendars, so ended up with Eid on different days.

Eid Mubarak anyway!

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied

But Happy Eid everyone
    Am I correct in believing you aren't actually Muslim? (Somebody asked at the start of the thread, but I can't find a reply from you.)

Anyway, if you're not, there's good news on the Zakat front; according to Wikipedia, which is never wrong, those entitled to receive Zakat include "new Muslims or those close to becoming Muslim. Even non-muslims could be included." So you need to get down the nearest mosque and collect your winnings

Eid Mubarak

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied

But Happy Eid everyone

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    Well last day is either Thursday or Friday. In North America its already been decided that is Friday. But here its still done in a very funny fashion..with one year Eid on three separate days! Come on...all the mosques are supposed to be under one umbrella yet they break on cultural lines sometimes.
    A couple of years ago, my sister's school was half empty two days running, since half the community followed one calendar and the other half another, so they celebrated Eid on different days.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    According to wikipedia, it's 2.5%. Which you can give to non-muslims in the hope that they'll convert. And it only applies to cash, gold, silver and other commerical items. If you've got any camels, a different rate applies.

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Off to "Burkhas R Us" for Sandy then...

Truly Surreal.
    Zeity, surely you would've spotted the pun!!!

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Thanks - will ask some people tomorrow, but 2% sounds vague, i.e. does assets mean money in the bank and savings in money, or does it include my house value etc?? (I do have a mortgage btw, does this count as an asset cuz of the equity )

Sorry I know you probably don't know the answer either, will ask and try to google and read on it will report back
    Are going the whole hog with this Muslim thing?

Subjugation, covering up your face?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    2%? Christians, I'm told, have to pay 10%. Was this a marketing ploy by Mohammed?

"Join my religion and you'll benefit from an 8% reduction in charitable giving. ( Don't join my religion and you'll be put to death you infidel dog )."

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    Thanks - will ask some people tomorrow, but 2% sounds vague, i.e. does assets mean money in the bank and savings in money, or does it include my house value etc?? (I do have a mortgage btw, does this count as an asset cuz of the equity )

Sorry I know you probably don't know the answer either, will ask and try to google and read on it will report back

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    I think zakat is 2% of everything you have, assets, savings etc.. Paid to the mosque or a charity? There is also a flat rate payment of around £3, I think that just goes to the mosque. Suppose you'll have to read up on it.

I suppose , find someone selling the big issue and give them the cash?

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    Well last day is either Thursday or Friday. In North America its already been decided that is Friday. But here its still done in a very funny fashion..with one year Eid on three separate days! Come on...all the mosques are supposed to be under one umbrella yet they break on cultural lines sometimes.

So Sandy lets say Pakistan declares last fast is Friday, India declares its Thursday and Saudi declares it is Friday. which one will you follow?

BTW: check this link http://www.crescentmoonwatch.org/nextnewmoon.htm

looks like it should be Friday.

BTW Kudos for making it this far. You're better than most of the muslims I know.
    Thanks lilelvis, the experience is amazing, I feel so much stronger for doing it, plus did plenty of reflection.

As recommended by others I will follow what the Islamic Cultural Centre in London advises re Eid day, I have been following their Ramadan table, I also have Sat dish and have Saudi and Jazeera TV, so will watch and see what they decide on Thursday night, not really worried, I know its not allowed to fast on the first day of Eid, but if you want the truth am thinking of doing more fasting after that, perhaps at the weekends or at least once during the week.

I am soooooo looking forward to Eid going to buy presents too

The only thing I haven't thought about is Zakat, not sure what to do about that, in fact I don't really know the rules, is it a specific percentage like the church, if l just give money to any charity does this count? If I am in London it wont be difficult to find homeless people to give money to, but I don't see any homeless people in Oxford!
    Last edited by SandyDown; 9 October 2007, 19:55.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X