• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What's your office space like?"

Collapse

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Swindon or Reading?
    Reading.. DaveB wins

Leave a comment:

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    The worst office I worked in was a converted multi-storey car park - in the middle of Birmingham.
    They created a custom-made computer building next door (not for the minions actually programming or anything of course) and they made the mistake of putting the vents for the air conditioning on the side of the building facing the road. This meant that every time a heavy lorry went by the office staff were treated to the delicious aroma of exhaust fumes, .

Leave a comment:

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    ...except for the wild deadlines, see-sawing cash flows, huge uncertainities, massive workloads, the annoying pedanticalness of clients, the deep isolation, the constant battle against demotivation and w@nking yourself to death...
    It's not worth it!

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Sorry.

My mistake.

You said "armpit" not "arsehole"...

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Slough?

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    I thought from the text under your avatar, you were working from home.

armpit of a town = ?

Swindon or Reading?

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    no just desks in the office..

moved from directly under the AirCon with my back to all others in the open plan office to facing everyone (screen facing away), next to the window overlooking a lake and trees

not that interesting i know but any change is exciting in this armpit of a town
    I thought from the text under your avatar, you were working from home.

armpit of a town = ?

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Converted store room at the top of an old engineering building. Ancient radiators that dont work, air con with a mind of it's own. Windows all round but no view to speak of, just the roofs of the surrounding engineering works. Water stained ceiling tiles and a hole in one corner.

On the plus side it's 20 mins from home, management never come up here and the rate is half decent.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    no just desks in the office..

moved from directly under the AirCon with my back to all others in the open plan office to facing everyone (screen facing away), next to the window overlooking a lake and trees

not that interesting i know but any change is exciting in this armpit of a town

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    woohoo new desk with window and view of lakes and trees...

i've made it
    You have moved house, chef.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    woohoo new desk with window and view of lakes and trees...

i've made it

Leave a comment:

• n5gooner
    replied
    large corporate open plan office, each floor is almost - CHECK
    a chair thats comfy but cheap - CHECK
    large desk, network port, 2 plugs and a bin - CHECK

although there's a Orange and Blue colour scheme going on here

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    If you had your desk number printed on a tee shirt, you would look like some sort of convict photo.
    I'll have to suggest it to them

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    My, or rather my client's office, and some of my esteemed colleaguesesk (#5242).
    If you had your desk number printed on a tee shirt, you would look like some sort of convict photo.

Leave a comment:

• bored
    replied
    Am currently sat in a large corporate open plan office, each floor is almost identical, a chair thats comfy but cheap, large desk, network port, 2 plugs and a bin.. all grey and black colour coding.. pretty depressing really.

What's everyone else's working environment like?
    Mine's exactly like that, except that I have more plugs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X