• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Good news and myth busting"

Collapse

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    The antibiotics for infections 'down there' were specifically designed to be impervious to alchohol
    I've heard that too!

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    If you drink enough alcohol you don't need antibiotics.
    Absolutely xoggoth, look at the old war films: bit of alcohol on the wounds to disinfect it, big gulp for the bloke who's limb was going to be removed with a rusty piece of iron, and a bigger gulp for the poor sod that had to do it.

Leave a comment:

• Moscow Mule
    replied
    Originally posted by Spartacus View Post

Mind you, the government is based in the soft southern parts of the country so maybe a couple of swifties after work is all they can handle?
    Most of the NL twunts are from Scotland aren't they?

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    I keep tellin yer, it's only binge drinking if you stop!
    Good man!

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
    You're out of touch, Baggy. More than four units in one sitting (and for anything other than the pissiest beer two pints is 4-5 units at least) is classed by the government as a binge.

And they wonder why no one takes them seriously.

Mind you, the government is based in the soft southern parts of the country so maybe a couple of swifties after work is all they can handle?
    I keep tellin yer, it's only binge drinking if you stop!

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    If you drink enough alcohol you don't need antibiotics.

Leave a comment:

• Spartacus
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    It is still true in some cases, and even when no side effects it does say drinking in 'moderation', which by current definitions is probably 2 pints or a glass or two of wine.
    You're out of touch, Baggy. More than four units in one sitting (and for anything other than the pissiest beer two pints is 4-5 units at least) is classed by the government as a binge.

And they wonder why no one takes them seriously.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Just asked the doctor sat opposite me. One or two antibiotics - you should absolutely avoid alcohol. Otherwise, the effect of alcohol on the liver may depress the metabolisation of the antibiotic and hence its efficacy.

Leave a comment:

• lilelvis2000
    replied
    You were at least prudent to check!

Leave a comment:

• r0bly0ns
    replied
    My GP once told me that it was a myth based on the fact that Alcohol *may* slightly reduce the effectiveness of antibiotics but that's all.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    I started a course of Antibiotics on Monday. Got a bit of a night out on Wednesday so was concerned about not being able to drink.
    Checked the leaflets with the antibiotics... no warnings about not drinking.
    Checked NHS direct and they say its fine.

where the hell did the no alcohol with antibiotics come from? everyone i know seems to stick to it religously!
    It is still true in some cases, and even when no side effects it does say drinking in 'moderation', which by current definitions is probably 2 pints or a glass or two of wine. Side effects happen in very small numbers of the population anyway, so it's largely the drug manufacturers protecting themselves (or the less cynical might say protecting the public)

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles...?articleId=871

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    The antibiotics for infections 'down there' were specifically designed to be impervious to alchohol

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    I started a course of Antibiotics on Monday. Got a bit of a night out on Wednesday so was concerned about not being able to drink.

where the hell did the no alcohol with antibiotics come from? everyone i know seems to stick to it religously!
    Depends on the antibiotic, I think.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    started a topic Good news and myth busting

Good news and myth busting

Working...
X