• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Is this an "Oh Dear (tm)"?"

Collapse

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Dundeegeorge View Post
    you couldn't let me borrow a razor blade, could you?
    Still, at least the chocolate ration has increased.........
    Indeed. Extra ration of Victory Gin in the Ministry today.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    The BoE sets the base rate. Individual banks then set theirs according to the base. Hence different rates at different banks on similar or same products.
    I'd add that individual banks do not have to set their rates according to the BoE base.

However, it is better for business if they generally follow base movements across their different products.

Leave a comment:

• Dundeegeorge
    replied
    I say old chap

you couldn't let me borrow a razor blade, could you?
    Still, at least the chocolate ration has increased.........

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Unemployment is falling (according to government figures)
    Inflation is falling (according to government figures)
    House prices aren't going to crash (according to government figures)
    Crime is falling (according to government figures)
    Education standards are up (according to government figures)
    NHS is improved (according to government figures)

FFS, you now have Utopia under New Labour (according to government figures), what are you worried about?

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    might be another straw onto the camel... thought the BoE set rates
    The BoE sets the base rate. Individual banks then set theirs according to the base. Hence different rates at different banks on similar or same products.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    might be another straw onto the camel... thought the BoE set rates

Abbey expects its rivals to follow suit
    Abbey has become the first UK High Street bank to raise its mortgage rates as a direct result of the continuing turmoil in the financial markets.

The lender has increased the interest rates of its tracker mortgages for new customers by between 0.1% and 0.2%.

Abbey said it was responding to the current "market pressure", adding it expected its rivals to follow suit.

A global credit shortage has made it more costly for banks to borrow funds, making higher mortgage rates likely.

"These changes reflect moves in the market that have been experienced," said Abbey's head of mortgages Nici Audhlam-Gardiner.

"We expect that these current trends will be sustained over a significant period and that other companies will follow immediately."

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
    I wonder, if an individual had borrowed from this company, whether they would still have to pay it (or some of it) back when the company goes bust?

They would have had to pay mortgage indemnity, meaning the mortgage company can cash in the policy while the morgagee is chased by the insurance company for the money.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    oh dear indeed !!

please let things not blow up for a few more years

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    They may find that they are liable for the full debt, payable immediately.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    I wonder, if an individual had borrowed from this company, whether they would still have to pay it (or some of it) back when the company goes bust?

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Ah, it works now. Previously it was just a blank space where the text should be.

Now, what is it about...

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    My God. It's full of stars.

Leave a comment:

• zeitghost
    started a topic Is this an "Oh Dear (tm)"?

Is this an "Oh Dear (tm)"?

The first domino?

http://news.independent.co.uk/busine...cle2950495.ece

Working...
X