• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Am I being racist?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Am I being racist?"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    So the Swiss have statistics to prove the crime rates committed by the immigrants... lucky them, they can presumably use the information to tailor their policies.
    I wonder why they are not available within the UK? are they available in Italy?
    Of course they do. If you have Swiss nationality, they don't prosecute. Fellow expat's daughter was bitten by a dog. He complained to the police and was told that he'd been living in the village only 2 years, the dog owner had been there 20 years, so stop making trouble.

But the chocolate's pretty good.

NotAllThere.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by GreenerGrass View Post
    I think the point Troll is making is not about attacking a little boy but asking why is Parvinder here in the first place?
    Why are so many people from the Indian subcontinent still coming over who cannot speak English and have no specific skills and qualifications required for the benefit of the economy?
    Pakistan/India/Bangladesh are not part of the EU, do not as far as I'm aware torture political prisoners (so no "human rights abuse" asylum reason).
    They are not at war, or facing any grave natural humanitarian disasters.

Poverty may be a problem, although this is not a reason to allow immigration, and the governments of Pakistan and India still have enough money to develop nuclear weapons.
    The onus is on the destination countries to police their borders and have an effective and robust immigration policy not for migrants to play by some form of Queensberry rules when picking their destination countries.

Don't forget, these people have left their homes and families in order to better their lives and if given comparable opportunities at home would not go overseas.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    They are availaible in the UK. Look for them.
    Go fetch fido

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    So the Swiss have statistics to prove the crime rates committed by the immigrants... lucky them, they can presumably use the information to tailor their policies.
    They are availaible in the UK. Look for them.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    A good start at a reasoned response ... did someone help you write it overnight?
    Ah the irony .....

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by Francko View Post
    But at least in Switzerland you have very few examples of internal society disfunctions. And yes, they are not really wrong when they claim that most of the problems come from foreigners, unfortunately. The statistics prove it.

What I cannot accept is when countries like UK or Italy, for example, where the majority of the problems come from local people who themselves fail to set an example for the immigrants and where immigrants are used as a scapegoat for the problems that governments failed to address (crime, unemployment, etc.).

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Actually Francko is right (for once ). Scapegoating minorities is a good way of not facing the truth - which is that the bloated welfare system needs a good trim. Perhaps that might also have the effect of making the UK unattractive to all but the most motivated migrants?
    A good start at a reasoned response ... did someone help you write it overnight?

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    What is the economic benefit to the UK of keeping a 12 year old chav and his chav parents in unemployment benefits? Perhaps you should sort out your internal problems first. Now how many unemployed people and how many refugees are there? And yes the fact that you are pointing to a much smaller problem for the UK society than what is an internal one just because a foreigner is involved is a bit of a proof of racism.
    Not really a comparable situation - unless you are saying that we can expect only to have any kind of imigration policy after we have sorted out our own lower social orders problem.

It sounds in your mind, that adding to the costs of supporting either groups will somehow help the situation

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    There is a high rate of spousal murders / attempted murders. Double that of the Netherlands, for example.

Most problems do come from foreigners, but the Swiss have to accept some responsibility for that - they're the ones who invited them in in the first place to build roads, clean the streets etc. - yet take few steps to integrate them into society. The general Swiss response to the shooting of a Turkish woman in broad daylight by her estranged Turkish husband, was "Oh well, it's only foreigners, what can you expect? It's nothing to do with us".

And Basel is one of the more integrated Cantons.

NotAllThere

Leave a comment:

• DBA_bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by GreenerGrass View Post
    Pakistan/India/Bangladesh ...
    They are not at war, or facing any grave natural humanitarian disasters.
    Have you heard of the term "Browsing the net"? It's quite amazing what you can find... in about 3 effing seconds.

Pakistan:
    http://www.refugeesinternational.org...y/detail/2920/

India:
    http://www.refugeesinternational.org...y/detail/2946/

Bangladesh:
    http://www.refugeesinternational.org...y/detail/2944/

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I guess you're not a fan of the SVP either.

NotAllThere (basel)
    But at least in Switzerland you have very few examples of internal society disfunctions. And yes, they are not really wrong when they claim that most of the problems come from foreigners, unfortunately. The statistics prove it.

What I cannot accept is when countries like UK or Italy, for example, where the majority of the problems come from local people who themselves fail to set an example for the immigrants and where immigrants are used as a scapegoat for the problems that governments failed to address (crime, unemployment, etc.).

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    What is the economic benefit to the UK of keeping a 12 year old chav and his chav parents in unemployment benefits? Perhaps you should sort out your internal problems first. Now how many unemployed people and how many refugees are there? And yes the fact that you are pointing to a much smaller problem for the UK society than what is an internal one just because a foreigner is involved is a bit of a proof of racism.
    Actually Francko is right (for once ). Scapegoating minorities is a good way of not facing the truth - which is that the bloated welfare system needs a good trim. Perhaps that might also have the effect of making the UK unattractive to all but the most motivated migrants?

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    What is the economic benefit to the UK of keeping a 12 year old chav and his chav parents in unemployment benefits? Perhaps you should sort out your internal problems first.......
    Actually well said Francko. I am disgusted by the way this country operates its welfare system.

At least immigrants are keen to work - to earn money and to better their lives -- and to pay their way. Of course I despise those immigrants that fit in nicely with our own chav groups and simply live off the system - but that's more the government's fault than their own. Lazy bar stewards.

Leave a comment:

• daviejones
    replied
    We may as well let anyone and everyone in...oh, we do already!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I guess you're not a fan of the SVP either.

NotAllThere (basel)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X