• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Making money in the global shakedown?"

Collapse

• wendigo100
    replied
    Booming China will bust. It is ignoring risk.

I heard this from a reputable source.

Leave a comment:

• Clippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Nicky G View Post
    Food, guns and a home is Canada. In the meantime oil shares and shares in agricultural businesses. Later on as the dollar plummets, commodities of all kinds, including metals, food, and fossil fuels such as oil.

Also Uranium mining companies. The price of Uranium is soaring. When you have made your money invest in my original suggestion.
    You sir, need to invest in a padded cell!

Leave a comment:

• Nicky G
    replied
    Food, guns and a home is Canada. In the meantime oil shares and shares in agricultural businesses. Later on as the dollar plummets, commodities of all kinds, including metals, food, and fossil fuels such as oil.

Also Uranium mining companies. The price of Uranium is soaring. When you have made your money invest in my original suggestion.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    The positive is that Asia is awash with cash
    Very clever M. Bates - you are indeed up to date on your information. China is changing its regulations to enable it's population to invest in overseas markets. This also extends to institutions in China. We all know that the country holds trillions of USD and it is getting ready to unleash these into the markets. Primary gainers will be Far East Asian markets. I have money in SE Asia incl. Hong Kong right now. HK dual-lists Chinese companies and currently these are way underlvalued relative to Shanghai.

In addition, Sovereign States (e.g. Dubai, Saudi) are getting ready to pounce. They're more interested in long term ownership of state assets (other state's assets). I don't have time/energy to explain this now - but I do believe that there are some equity markets/companies worth investing in through the near future.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    I think what we are seeing is effectively the beginning of the end of Western dominance of the global economy and a shift to Asia. Not a bad thing for the UK. We were effectively tied to the US coat tails.

Leave a comment:

• beaker
    replied
    I've been buying undevalued blue chip Aussie shares (eg BHP etc). The market is up by 10% so far this year, taking into account current market jitters, plus dividends are generally good (4-5%). Take out a small margin loan and use the dividends to pay it off.

I've been agonising over buying a London property to live in... in a good location I think the worst that could happen is the price will go nowhere for a few years.

Although I did walk past a place offering 12% interest for 12 months fixed (Alliance & Leicester?) the other day. Worthwhile if you don't need the money for a while.

Japan and the Yen could well recover as the Yen has been depressed for so long partly due to Yen carry trade - now looking less attractive due to US rate cuts, hold on rates in most other western countries and recent rate increases n the Yen.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    This is not a global shakedown, though admittedly it could become one. Currently this is a credit crunch in mortgage lending. The positive is that Asia is awash with cash, they don't quite know what to do with it. Well lets put it this way, they might not put into UK BTL, and they might be cautious for a while, but I think Asia and parts of Euope will continue to grow. Interestingly commercial property looks quite different, even in the US.

What looks good? Basically commodities, energy, industrials, and technologies. Japan looks poised for a recovery.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    china sells goods to US , india sells services to US
    both will be badly affected if US goes down
    Actually each is the biggest trading partner of the other.

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Japanese property (it's countercyclical to the West)
    Commodities (india and China will drive these)
    china sells goods to US , india sells services to US
    both will be badly affected if US goes down

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    The correct answer is:

.NET training

It is the future

HTH

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Japanese property (it's countercyclical to the West)
    Commodities (india and China will drive these)

Leave a comment:

• sunnysan
    replied
    Seriously

Since I was not so heavily invested in the UK I have liquidated nearly totally.

I have funds in a dollar based account which I am of two minds to move as I am not optimistic about $ long term prospects.

My situation is unique in the fact that I am not sure I will be staying in the UK.

I had some shares which I sold luckily before things went pearshaped but I got burned quite badly about a year ago to the point where I should havejust kept the money in cash.

I may sell some Sterling to buy Yuan and Roubles :-)

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    Tulips.

Leave a comment:

• Lucy
    replied
    bananas

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    saving account