• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Verbal acceptance of job offer"

Collapse

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
    My rates range from about £325 to £700 per day. Is nuts the Oracle Apps world.
    Shame on you - stealing two jobs from those of us looking for just one!

I'd have done it for £698 a day!

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied

Gonz - are you on facebook. I think i spot you, but I'm not sure (i was very drunk that night)
    Spot me where? On the CUK Slackers section? I am only sort of on facebook because I don't use it, so my picture isn't. And I am not in the CUK Slackers group.

PM me with who you think I look like and I will take a look.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    I hate all you bastards who earn that sort of dosh. Oh no hang on, I'm retired, he he, I sneer at all you bastards who still have to work for a living.

We all aspire to be you Xog

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    I hate all you bastards who earn that sort of dosh. Oh no hang on, I'm retired, he he, I sneer at all you bastards who still have to work for a living.

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by zamzummim View Post
    SA congrats, can I ask how you got out of the contract you have accepted previously? Did you just tell them the truth?

btw: where is DA, he normally comes out and gives everyone a looong lecture on how we contractors are scum of the earth money grapping, and quotes so many stories of how contractors let him down etc etc
    Yeah I was just honest - told them another offer had came through.

To be fair, the agency had been winding me up for the best part of a fortnight, and had p*ssed around with the contract too (only got to look at it today!)

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    OK. Bad example because the bus would come off worse, but you know what I mean

Gonz - are you on facebook. I think i spot you, but I'm not sure (i was very drunk that night)

Leave a comment:

• zamzummim
    replied
    SA congrats, can I ask how you got out of the contract you have accepted previously? Did you just tell them the truth?

btw: where is DA, he normally comes out and gives everyone a looong lecture on how we contractors are scum of the earth money grapping, and quotes so many stories of how contractors let him down etc etc

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied
    You'd get out of bed for £700 a day?

Seriously, though, I can't say I blame you. Life is too short.

Look at it this way. If you honoured the original and after three months were hit by a bus, what good would your reputation be then?

OK. Bad example because the bus would come off worse, but you know what I mean

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
    I'm a... permie.
    Ewwww, really? You sounded so normal?

<washes hands>

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
    tsk, tsk. Some bad karma will be coming your way. What is it, a 3 month contract? That's only an extra 12 grand. Is your reputation not worth that?

ps. I have never been in this situation so do not know what I would actually do myself, although I don't think that I would ever be in the position where I was in the runnning for two gigs where the rates are £200 a day different.

Good luck anyway. Will you still be away during the week?
    No!!!!! My name is not Earl!!!! My Karma is all good, and I dont have time to make a list

Its 3 months initially, but likely to run and run. Its a much better gig - loads more fun stuff to get into, lots of new stuff too.

Yes I'm still away from home, but its only working 4 days a week so I'll get a nice long weekend.

Leave a comment:

• Moose423956
    replied
    I went for the spondoolics of course!! I'm a fricken contractor!!!!

Good on yer. Can you lend me a few bob? I'm a hard-up permie.

Leave a comment:

• Gonzo
    replied

tsk, tsk. Some bad karma will be coming your way. What is it, a 3 month contract? That's only an extra 12 grand. Is your reputation not worth that?

ps. I have never been in this situation so do not know what I would actually do myself, although I don't think that I would ever be in the position where I was in the runnning for two gigs where the rates are £200 a day different.

Good luck anyway. Will you still be away during the week?

Leave a comment:

• SallyAnne
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Moose423956
    replied
    Would any of you who said "stick to the first contract" change your mind if the second contract was for £4k more a month?
    That's not fair, you didn't mention the money. Screw the Welsh job, go for the spondoolics babe.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Mustang
    replied
    You all helped me make a very difficult decision today.
    OK - end the suspense!! What did you decide to do?!!????

Leave a comment:

Working...
X