• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Presentation advice"

Collapse

• Bear
    replied
    Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
    put on a slightly fake, noddyney accent & swear!!
    I love this new word filter! classic

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
    Well, I survived. It went OK, which I would have taken beforehand.

It was quite odd as I didn't feel that nervous before or during, but I guess I'm just not a good speaker - words just wouldn't flow from my mouth in a nice, consistent manner. I seem to have this problem when talking to people I don't know particularly well - unless I've had a few drinks or am able to put on a slightly fake, noddyney accent & swear!!

Doing this presentation has just confirmed to me that, now being in my mid 30's, public speaking isn't for me & I don't plan on doing it again in a hurry . . .

Thanks to everyone who offered advice. It probably made the difference between OK & a complete shambles!
    It can be terrifying but don't stop doing it. Only way to overcome it is to practise - either keep on doing them as presentations, or go find your local Am Dram band and get on stage, which is how I learned it. I eventually did a course on presentation technique and discovered I'd been doing most of the right things all along!

Like all things it's about confidence and self-beleif. If you can talk in a meeting round a table, or hold the attention of three people in a pub, you can do presenting. What you're really scared of is being asked a question to which you don't know the answer in a formal, exposed scenario. Learn the subject and all else is simply technique.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Use mini-skirt no longer than a big belt and no bra - always works for me.

HTH

SallyAnne.

Leave a comment:

• Spoiler
    replied
    Well, I survived. It went OK, which I would have taken beforehand.

It was quite odd as I didn't feel that nervous before or during, but I guess I'm just not a good speaker - words just wouldn't flow from my mouth in a nice, consistent manner. I seem to have this problem when talking to people I don't know particularly well - unless I've had a few drinks or am able to put on a slightly fake, cockney accent & swear!!

Doing this presentation has just confirmed to me that, now being in my mid 30's, public speaking isn't for me & I don't plan on doing it again in a hurry . . .

Thanks to everyone who offered advice. It probably made the difference between OK & a complete shambles!

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Some wonderful episode titles there like "Dead Men Die Twice". Also an interesting theory that Department S inspired the X Files.

Nice find thanks!

Leave a comment:

• NoddY
    replied
    My advice is as follows. Presenting is a series of small 'dramatic' effects:

- silence is powerful only in mid-stream because it provides a contrast. Use it for effect - and don't be afraid of it.
    - talk to yourself aloud if you need to do something in front of an audience (e.g. I'll just plug this in and we'll be ready)
    - pick a spot on the floor, stand there, and stick to it. Only move around every few minutes, or even sit down, but only move when you are changing the subject/tone/to do something.
    - give the audience something to do/think about/read after about 15 minutes. You can shut up then (provides contrast).
    - if eye contact is a bother then talk to the wall at the back of the room above their heads.
    - briefly look (move your head) at what you want the audience to look at (e.g. a screen) - their eyes will follow yours, then look back at them (you'll see none of them looking at you!). Pointing helps too.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Tissues, wipe sweat from brow, clean up spilled water due to nervousness, offer to the bloke excavating his nose. All things I have been subject to. Yuk I know.

BGG is right voice & pacing is very important, stop and involve the people if a small group that decreases the chance of interruptions / heckling if they know there will be structured places to insert questions during the presentation.

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    Originally posted by bobhope View Post
    I read somewhere that people fear public speaking more than they do death and of course techies aren't normally natural born presentation deliverers.

Darmstadt mentioned getting plastered - probably not a good idea, but (one) small one can settle your nerves a bit.
    I see you've attended the Charles Kennedy School of Public Speaking.

Leave a comment:

• richard-af
    replied
    Originally posted by daviejones View Post
    ...but don't laugh at the fat girl in the front row!!!!!
    ... or be intimidated by the enormously well-hung blokes!

Leave a comment:

• daviejones
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
    6. Imagine everyone sitting their naked.
    ...but don't laugh at the fat girl in the front row!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• bobhope
    replied
    I read somewhere that people fear public speaking more than they do death and of course techies aren't normally natural born presentation deliverers.

Darmstadt mentioned getting plastered - probably not a good idea, but (one) small one can settle your nerves a bit.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    Have a large glass of water, tissues, pad & paper with you. You will need them.
    Um...exactly what sort of presentation are you giving ?

A casting couch performance ?

Which leads me in to my advice. I used to do public speaking, where you walk in to a hall with 400 people, walk up to a panel of 3 judges, take a sheet of A4, read it mentally for 1 minute, then you have to present to the audience.

1. Breath and speak normally...don't rush.
    2. Don't talk in a monotone. On the other hand, don't talk like a wah-wah guitar either.
    3. Pause often, to allow the audience time to absorb the material.
    4. Put yourself in their shoes, and try to "hear" your own performance.
    5. Look up at the audience and maintain eye contact. (If you find eye contact uncomfortable, look at the middle of their foreheads. This gives the illusion of eye contact)
    6. Imagine everyone sitting their naked. (This helps you break down your own mental barriers that everyone is there judging you.)

HTH....

Alternatively, walk in, dump a load of A4 summaries in their laps, and say "have a look through this over a pint with me in the Dog and Gun. You can ask questions there".
    Last edited by Board Game Geek; 17 August 2007, 00:25. Reason: addendum

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    good so far

Create a flowchart / visual narrative before you start to write the presentation. Use that as your guide throughout. modify as neccessary.

Make the slides mainly visual, bullet points of only the major points. People will remember most of the slides if they are good. They will remember very little of what you say.You can back it up with slide notes and a copy of the presentation later.

Do not use bold transitions, absolutely no sounds unless relevant! Make sure you use corporate standard templates, some muppet will score points if you don't.

Write slide notes, practice them first on your own, then on the wife, finally on colleagues that way they will be reasonably polished before your wife or colleagues hear them also if the wife understands the gist then your Directors will. Anticipate questions, you won't get all of them but knowing the answer to most of them makes you look good. Other ones you can write on your pad and cover in 24 hours when you forward the presentation.

Make sure you only present facts, have figures to back them up, make sure the figures come from a reputable source in the relevant department, someone is bound to challenge you if you say 50% failure rate someone will call you a liar, if you say Operations have proven 50% failure rate with XYZ study then they have nowhere to go. Gartner etc are a good source for general stuff.

If you are proposing something make sure the major decision makers agree it in principle before the meeting, a nod or smile from the MD makes all the difference.

Make sure you are well rested and dressed. First presentation will be like 9 rounds with Parky.

Set equipment up early, then go to the loo & have a nice long relaxing coffee / ciggy etc before going in. Be in the room five minutes before start not 30 mins before start otherwise your nerve goes.

Have a large glass of water, tissues, pad & paper with you. You will need them.

Careful with the humour, its easy to offend.

Leave a comment:

• Spoiler
    replied
    Thanks - some good advice & also the usual rubbish. Both are appreciated

I'll be using ppt\lappy for the presentation. Perhaps I could video myself doing it beforehand & just run the video on the day!

I was once a best man & didn't feel nervous right up till the point where I stood up to speak, managed to hold it together although I did make the mistake of writing the speech out in full instead of having cue cards. Won't be doing that again!

I've got a few weeks to plan it thoroughly & will run it past a few colleagues for their input.

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    Yep, it's the military version, the PISS is added as it is mandatory to have curse words in every statement.
    Fair enough.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X