• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Interview dressing code ?"

Collapse

• Vito
    replied
    I never wear a suit to a gig, its just not my style and I believe the quality I deliver enables me to wear what I like (although its not that bad, open shirt and chords normally) but to an interview...suit everytime.

By all means stick to your principles and don't wear a suit to an interview, but then just accept it if you don't get it.

Also read somewhere the other day that lots of people don't shave for an interview...ffs...grooming adds pound notes to the day rate...make an effort boys and girls

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    I reject the gig if the interviewer isn't wearing a suit.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    *titter*

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Yeh, really pathetic attitude these clients have. Bad enough you can't turn up in your old gardening trousers but they seem to expect you to wash and shave as well.

Leave a comment:

• Bovvered
    replied
    Suit

ffs. If you need to ask this you deserve not to get the contract.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Churchill
    You're supposed to be a professional!

You're the shop window for your business.

What do you think on reflection you should've done?
    I couldn't have put it better myself.

Leave a comment:

• weboo
    replied
    Always dress as smart and impress, then there will be no easy way out for the client. Sounds like the person who interviewed you looked for an easy excuse...and your appearance was just the ticket

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    You're supposed to be a professional!

You're the shop window for your business.

What do you think on reflection you should've done?

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy Bob
    replied
    No, it means you were interviewed by a tw@t. That's not to say that wearing a suit to an interview isn't a sensible thing to do (for this very reason), but the client should have been looking at whether you could complete the work required, not your dress sense.

Once you have the gig, dress how you like. I do. Never worn a suit to a gig yet, regardless of whether the permies do or not. Have broken the dress code in at least one place on a regular basis. Didn't stop them wanting a renewal. The only time I have complied with any dress code is when there was a good reason for it - I wore shoes instead of trainers at a factory based site as it was in their health & safety guidelines with all the fork-lifts running around.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Suits always.

When you realise the client has dress down days then dress accordingly to the status quo. Otherwise, always wear a suit.

And for those that think wearing a suit should be de rigeur, then think again. I've had two clients who stated that it was not necessary to where a suit at the refinery. For the first meeting, yes, but then...dress in the standard clothes of the perms. Mix in, it does you good...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Yes. Next...

Leave a comment:

• 2uk
    started a topic Interview dressing code ?

Interview dressing code ?

A Client told me , among other things, that they rejected me because I didn’t wear a suit and a tie on the interview . I was dressed “business cleverly” with linen pants and a shirt.

Does this mean we wear suits “by default “ for interviews ?

Working...
X