• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Wage inflation ...

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Wage inflation ..."

Collapse

• BlasterBates
    replied
    The thing that surprised me was the average salary of a senior manager

What do they mean by a senior manager ?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100

My father-in-law tells me a true story of when he was in the army. They were told to dig some big holes in a field. Next day they were told to move these holes to another corner of the field.
    And in principle the only way to "move" a hole is to dig away on one side and refill it on the other side. So they'd have had to dig a trench right across the field

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    i gather from the responses that this is another successful everybody agrees with Milan thread.

nice one

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Dispensable
    replied
    I think both are ok for once. Phew, no detention for me tonite.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain Dispensable
    So that's where the phrase "Any hole's a goal" came from. You learn something every day, even when not expecting too.

"to" not "too"

Leave a comment:

• Captain Dispensable
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    My father-in-law tells me a true story of when he was in the army. They were told to dig some big holes in a field. Next day they were told to move these holes to another corner of the field. The following day they were told to move them back. It was purely to keep everyone busy.
    So that's where the phrase "Any hole's a goal" came from. You learn something every day, even when not expecting too.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    I meant he was giving in the way that Labour are pouring billions into useless IT systems. Nice one, it will ensure there's years of patching and re-engineering to stop them rolling over on a daily basis, all of which filters down to us short term contractors ready and willing to bale them out, for the right price
    Keeps me in business.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    I meant he was giving in the way that Labour are pouring billions into useless IT systems.

My father-in-law tells me a true story of when he was in the army. They were told to dig some big holes in a field. Next day they were told to move these holes to another corner of the field. The following day they were told to move them back. It was purely to keep everyone busy.

I'm always reminded of this story whenever I think of Labour's "initiatives", and the value the taxpayer gets from them.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Dispensable
    replied
    I meant he was giving in the way that Labour are pouring billions into useless IT systems. Nice one, it will ensure there's years of patching and re-engineering to stop them rolling over on a daily basis, all of which filters down to us short term contractors ready and willing to bale them out, for the right price

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    It was "neutral" for those who earn more than £18k...
    Oh.

I thought the poor were worse off, because they lost the lower tax band. In which case the budget would be a bit on the "take" side, wouldn't it?

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    understood,

however, poor Gordo has to do his best to please everyone, and if he simply let us make hay without appearing to be persecuting us it wouldn't look fair in the eyes of the masses

therefore we have to play the game, take our fruit in one hand and accept the 'punishments' for the unfairness of our game with the other hand

it's all a game, we have to take a step back and see how good we have things and accept that in the eyes of fairness the _party_ have to chase us a bit

what's the minimum wage, what's the average wage, how much do we make, and how long have we had a sustained environment in which to milk the situation ? it's not so bad is it ?

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    But brownstuff's mantra is "give with one hand and take away with the other".

At the moment he's giving ...
    Eh? How? Where?

I seem to recall that his last budget was neutral at best.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Dispensable
    replied
    But brownstuff's mantra is "give with one hand and take away with the other".

At the moment he's giving but I'm wary of what else he may come up with to try to do the taking, seeing as IR35, IR36, and all the other measures haven't taken everything just yet.

Your right though, certainly make hay but don't squander it thinking it will always be this easy or lucrative, or indeed that all that hay is really yours, you might just be storing it for the tax man.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied
    Captain,

aside of everything you mention, the product of what you mention is that big business is doing well and therefore spending on IT which keeps parasites like you me in work - which in my book is not a bad thing.

Long may the economic miracle continue.

Remember, in life there will always be winners and losers, for once, our lot are on the winning side, enjoy it while it lasts, because in the next economic cycle we may be on the losing side.

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Dispensable
    replied
    Just like all those who reconsolidate their debts over 25 years have reduced their debt.

Or how people are better off because their house has risen in value so they remortgage to release equity.

Or how 0% credit is free money.

And how all this debt is propping up the economy.

All smoke and mirrors.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X