• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Not Very Good At Choosing A Candidate"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post

Fascists never realise they are fascists until its too late.
    What are you on about?

If you dismiss blatant anti-Semitism it says a lot about you.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    ladymuck they actually had some better prospects, including a Tory MP in outer London, who put themselves forward to be the Tory Mayoral candidate.

However for some reason they were all rejected. This is to the apparent annoyance of many councillors and MPs in the party.

They feel there is a deliberate Tory policy of wanting to lose the election. It is more likely that the party machine wants a candidate they can control, a bit like what Labour did when Livingston stood.
    Interesting. So either the Tories don't want anything to do with running London (so pick someone sketchy who will lose) or they do want to run London from behind the scenes and thought they'd picked someone who would just be a puppet.

Leave a comment:

• JustKeepSwimming
    replied

I guess you were never taught History at school, interacted and lived with Jewish people..
    Fascists never realise they are fascists until its too late.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

Yes because they weren't common antisemitic images unless you intentionally and disingenuously interpret that as such.

What you seem to be saying is 'You can't mock Goldman Sachs because to do so is antisemitism'. Which is absurd.

Only racists weaponise racism.
    I guess you were never taught History at school, interacted and lived with Jewish people..

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    ladymuck they actually had some better prospects, including a Tory MP in outer London, who put themselves forward to be the Tory Mayoral candidate.

However for some reason they were all rejected. This is to the apparent annoyance of many councillors and MPs in the party.

They feel there is a deliberate Tory policy of wanting to lose the election. It is more likely that the party machine wants a candidate they can control, a bit like what Labour did when Livingston stood.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    There's a chap on the Torygraph payroll who has been writing lots of pro-Susan articles. I'll keep an eye out to see if he has anything to say about this.

I do wonder if the "not very good at choosing a candidate" comes down to a lack of options? Is London Mayor a bit of a poisoned chalice as an appointment and people don't want to go for it? If you have to live a totally pure life (and whose definition of pure is acceptable?) from the moment you plop out just in case you choose to go into politics then we'd end up with an even bigger bunch of muppets running the country as they'd have no life experience.

I don't condone what she's said. I think it definitely needs to be addressed and she needs to explain herself. I struggle to decide whether she should be banned from standing for election as I'm not a fan of the no-platforming movement.

Leave a comment:

• JustKeepSwimming
    replied

So you thought it was OK to allow a cartoon with common antisemitic images to be allowed to stay up as the cartoonist didn't intent to air antisemitic views?
    Yes because they weren't common antisemitic images unless you intentionally and disingenuously interpret that as such.

What you seem to be saying is 'You can't mock Goldman Sachs because to do so is antisemitism'. Which is absurd.

Only racists weaponise racism.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
    If someone did a detailed trawl through all your media interaction (and anyone else's) they'd find nothing to complain about? Try looking into the other candidates and I think you'll find some questionable stuff too BTW, Enoch was a clever man and did some right on stuff but was probably too clever for his own good and a man of his times
    Indeed Enoch Powell identified many preventable consequences of failing to manage migration. He spoke of them and was denounced.

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandp...ifty-years-on/

We have no go areas based on religion & race, we have open machete fights & rioting in the streets based on the actions of police officers overseas or when scum want to go for a five fingered discount, we have police unwilling to pursue crime because of the race/religion of the perpetrators and the government unable to deport criminals.

He also pointed out that it wasn't just the quantity it was the integration. The annual numbers (50,000) he was countering are 10-20 times higher now (1 million), is our country a better place?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

I think bigotry requires intention. Do you not see any issue in effectively labelling someone a bigot because they did/said something and someone else did some English Literature exam nonsense to 'interpret' into something else?

It's the old Rorschach test. Someone who is not bigoted is not going to make those connections as naturally as someone who is constantly on the hunt.
    So you thought it was OK to allow a cartoon with common antisemitic images to be allowed to stay up as the cartoonist didn't intent to air antisemitic views?

Leave a comment:

• JustKeepSwimming
    replied
    Yep but that would require them to hire some interns from a wide variety of backgrounds.

Young non-straight-white-rich Tories do exist... This has happened to all parties mind.

The explanations are for people who will say that isn't racism.including antisemitism, sexism, homophobia etc. Remember that Guardian cartoonist that got caught after he had done an antisemitic cartoon? He had to have it explained to him.
    I think bigotry requires intention. Do you not see any issue in effectively labelling someone a bigot because they did/said something and someone else did some English Literature exam nonsense to 'interpret' into something else?

It's the old Rorschach test. Someone who is not bigoted is not going to make those connections as naturally as someone who is constantly on the hunt.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I use twitter on my phone. I can't count how many times I have accidentally hit the heart without realising as scrolling past. Every so often I have to check my liked page and make sure there is nothing dodgy.

I surely can't be the only one?
    When you put yourself forward for police and crime commissioner or whatever, you will go through your SM and remove stuff before campaigning.

Though you won't be able to prevent allegations of sexual harassment.

As for why parties keep getting caught out with this is beyond me. How hard is it to hire some young unpaid interns just to check a candidates social media, there are tools that can do most of the heavy lifting too.
    Yep but that would require them to hire some interns from a wide variety of backgrounds.

Also not really a fan of HNH doing the whole 'This is racist because of XYZ', it should be self evident, if you need to explain it then you start to imply there are alterative explanations.
    The explanations are for people who will say that isn't racism.including antisemitism, sexism, homophobia etc. Remember that Guardian cartoonist that got caught after he had done an antisemitic cartoon? He had to have it explained to him.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 15 September 2023, 20:20.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    If someone did a detailed trawl through all your media interaction (and anyone else's) they'd find nothing to complain about?
    I have one questionable tweet. All my tweets were and are scrutinised by people I know.

I
    Try looking into the other candidates and I think you'll find some questionable stuff too
    if you are a political candidate and do an interview where you sprout racist, Islamophobic and/or any other bigoted view them don't be surprised if your social media is looked through.

In fact Labour has gone through all their potential parliamentary candidates social media and refused to select people if they didn't like anything.

BTW, Enoch was a clever man and did some right on stuff but was probably too clever for his own good and a man of his times
    There is always someone who will defend a racist.

Leave a comment:

• JustKeepSwimming
    replied
    I use twitter on my phone. I can't count how many times I have accidentally hit the heart without realising as scrolling past. Every so often I have to check my liked page and make sure there is nothing dodgy.

I surely can't be the only one?

As for why parties keep getting caught out with this is beyond me. How hard is it to hire some young unpaid interns just to check a candidates social media, there are tools that can do most of the heavy lifting too.

Also not really a fan of HNH doing the whole 'This is racist because of XYZ', it should be self evident, if you need to explain it then you start to imply there are alterative explanations.

Leave a comment:

• tazdevil
    replied
    If someone did a detailed trawl through all your media interaction (and anyone else's) they'd find nothing to complain about? Try looking into the other candidates and I think you'll find some questionable stuff too BTW, Enoch was a clever man and did some right on stuff but was probably too clever for his own good and a man of his times

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Honestly if you can't keep your mouth shut don't go into politics.

At least she would give an alternative to Sadiq or the Abbopotomus's unpleasant views. Now if she had shaken hands with active terrorists the left would love her!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X