• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Help! Interview Clash"

Collapse

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by TheDude View Post

Do you think the client or agent would tell you if there were ten other people under consideration for a role?
    Yes, I have had that information from an agent in the past. I've also been told when I'm the only person being interviewed for a role.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

Do you think the client or agent would tell you if there were ten other people under consideration for a role?
    A decent agent normally gives you an idea and some pointers. Pity they don't tell you yes the client is fussy and you will see the job advertised for the next 6 months.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied

Sometimes yes.
    And depending on the role, I will know who else is in for it and will ask the agent if they are being interviewed before or after me, because it required a specific set of skills that only a few of us have.

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

Because the job you really want will not understand the urgency and go slowly. At least in my case a couple of times.

Can't hurt if they know you are in demand.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

Why tell them anything?
    Because the job you really want will not understand the urgency and go slowly. At least in my case a couple of times.

Can't hurt if they know you are in demand.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Why tell them anything?
    Yeah, I can see that angle too. I just prefer to be up front.

There were only three opportunities, all wanting quick decisions, so I decided to be honest about why they wouldn't get an immediate response.

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    I was in a situation May / June last year with multiple interviews going on at the same time.

I told all the agents and all the clients what was going on and informed them that, should they make an offer, I will not make a decision until all interviews were completed.

One agent (a boutique consultancy) was a right arse about it and tried to bully me into deciding and so I told them to stick it. I took another role that was less money but with an agent and client who were far more respectful.
    Why tell them anything?

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I was in a situation May / June last year with multiple interviews going on at the same time.

I told all the agents and all the clients what was going on and informed them that, should they make an offer, I will not make a decision until all interviews were completed.

One agent (a boutique consultancy) was a right arse about it and tried to bully me into deciding and so I told them to stick it. I took another role that was less money but with an agent and client who were far more respectful.

Leave a comment:

• TheDude
    replied
    Accept both interviews.

Best case scenario is you find out more about the roles, get offered both and can pick the best.

Don't worry about the client or the agent.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Pete30 View Post

With my skill-set, it's very narrow market and with year end, there are very few roles on the market at the moment.
    try vistex it seems popular this week. 10 years ago I did some and its a well paid out of ir35 job if you fancy Switzerland!

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Both are contract roles with only one interview round.

Normally yes but I had been ghosted by few agencies in the last couple of weeks after receiving my CV. Therefore I'm trying to tread this one very carefully.

Send a substitute to the interview

Leave a comment:

• Pete30
    replied

are they first or final interviews?
    Both are contract roles with only one interview round.

Many agents will sell their grandmothers to make a profit! Sensible ones understand
    Normally yes but I had been ghosted by few agencies in the last couple of weeks after receiving my CV. Therefore I'm trying to tread this one very carefully.

Leave a comment:

• Pete30
    replied
    Originally posted by Protagoras View Post

In any case, aren't most roles available through multiple agents?
    With my skill-set, it's very narrow market and with year end, there are very few roles on the market at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

Yes definitely but I think I didn't make myself clear on my post. The worry wasn't about slot clash on Tue. The concern is about whether I should agree with an interview with agent2 on Mon. Let's say if I say I could do it on Wed and if my interview goes well on Tue, it puts me in a stick situation with the agreed interview with agent2 on Wed.

I was in similar situation a while back and an agency wasn't happy (rightly so) about cancelling a scheduled interview and now I can't go to them for future roles. I just don't want to repeat the same mistake (if it was a mistake) and loosing another potential agency.
    Time before last I had 2 offers an 4 interviews that week - it happens. If there is an offer on the table 24 hours to think about it and for the customer to send the contract delays it nicely.

are they first or final interviews?

Many agents will sell their grandmothers to make a profit! Sensible ones understand

Leave a comment:

• Protagoras
    replied

Let's say if I say I could do it on Wed and if my interview goes well on Tue, it puts me in a stick situation with the agreed interview with agent2 on Wed.
    It's one thing having a good interview. I'd say, one needs to keep options open until there's an offer with acceptable T&Cs on the table.

I was in similar situation a while back and an agency wasn't happy (rightly so) about cancelling a scheduled interview and now I can't go to them for future roles.
    Agents operate in a competitive market. Suppliers pull out all the time where a competing client is quicker off the mark with a solid offer. That's agents risk, and I can't see why that would preclude one from future roles via a particular agent. In any case, aren't most roles available through multiple agents?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X