• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Coming Home...

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Coming Home..."

Collapse

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I thought Boris said they should host it themselves (aka we don't want to)
    I think Boris is displaying a rare moment of "saying the right thing" (broken clocks and all that).

He's saying it should be in Ukraine whilst not completely ruling out that the UK could host it.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by jainnode View Post

is that near uxbridge ??
    Or Ambridge?

Leave a comment:

• jainnode
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I don't disagree. My impression was that it was the way it was announced that was the cause of umbridge.
    is that near uxbridge ??

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I thought Boris said they should host it themselves (aka we don't want to)

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post

To be fair, if the war ended tomorrow, it would take them decades to rebuild, and who would want to go anyway? They have to plan a year ahead (believe it or not) so I'm not surprised. The host broadcaster has to bear most of the cost, and I doubt the Ukrainian national broadcaster could afford the estimated £30m, whereas the BBC could find that from Graham Norton's expense account. Only joking Graham...
    I don't disagree. My impression was that it was the way it was announced that was the cause of umbrage.
    Last edited by ladymuck; 20 June 2022, 10:27. Reason: speling

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied

But the statement isn't wholly without some truth!

I see the Ukrainian government is not best pleased at being sidelined so swiftly and, whilst the UK remain on stand by to take over, it seems the right tone is being set by wholeheartedly supporting Ukraine's right to host the event.
    To be fair, if the war ended tomorrow, it would take them decades to rebuild, and who would want to go anyway? They have to plan a year ahead (believe it or not) so I'm not surprised. The host broadcaster has to bear most of the cost, and I doubt the Ukrainian national broadcaster could afford the estimated £30m, whereas the BBC could find that from Graham Norton's expense account. Only joking Graham...

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

LadyM is a Eurovision fan. As are many people here.
    But the statement isn't wholly without some truth!

I see the Ukrainian government is not best pleased at being sidelined so swiftly and, whilst the UK remain on stand by to take over, it seems the right tone is being set by wholeheartedly supporting Ukraine's right to host the event.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

you need to get out more
    LadyM is a Eurovision fan. As are many people here.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    I am very pleased by this news.
    you need to get out more

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I am very pleased by this news.

Leave a comment:

• Guy At Charnock Richard
    replied
    Shame, should have been held in the spiritual home of Eurovision, Sweden.

It would also have meant we'd have been treated to a skit from the excellent Måns Zelmerlöw. but no doubt we'll have to put up with whatever kitcsh guff the UK hosts come up with instead. Graham Norton, no doubt will be involved.
    Last edited by Guy At Charnock Richard; 17 June 2022, 12:04.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post

Food supply from Ukraine will benefit the EU
    if they can get it out of the country.

Popcorn time waiting for Putin's respnse.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Oh and good news - Ukraine is an official candidate for EU membership.
    Food supply from Ukraine will benefit the EU and I expect there will be cooperation with aircraft manufacturing.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Oh and good news - Ukraine is an official candidate for EU membership.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    started a topic Coming Home...

Coming Home...

Eurovision.

UK has been asked to host it as Ukraine can't.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...aine-ruled-out

Working...
X