• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Don't forget to complete your 2021 Census this weekend"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post

as anyone else's could be also.
    Nah I doubt it!

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

Pop into the Brexit forum his views might be considered interesting!
    as anyone else's could be also.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

Pop into the Brexit forum his views might be considered interesting!
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 8 April 2021, 10:34.

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

Pah amateur my mother went back to the 13th century.
    Well, if she can find a link to Lord Willoughby, which is a family tale, then she could trace her tree back to William the Bastard. If Jewish tradition is to be believed, then I can go back as far as Jacob. But aren't we all descended from that one matriarch found in East Africa that they've named Eve?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    And I can't find any bloody evidence that my granddad was born. He got married, had kids and died but was never born
    He was a bigamist and changed his name so he couldn't be found.

So you have a lot more aunts and uncles than you thought.

OR

He was a massive criminal and changed his name so he couldn't be traced.

(Though probably something more boring...)

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    And I can't find any bloody evidence that my granddad was born. He got married, had kids and died but was never born

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

Agreed, although I've gone back to 1695 on my wife's side without the use of the census. However that was relatively straightforward, as we have family records dating from the 1750's. She may be related to the actor John Simm and the Lever (soap) family.

I've gone back to 1805 using census records and a relative has gone back to the middle of the 17th century having started using the census entries. Apparently, there is some issue with following the trail where individuals were non conformists, but I've not been able to establish what the issue is though.
    Pah amateur my mother went back to the 13th century.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    when did this tedious twat come back? geez.
    Which one?

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    I never went away!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Why don't you go and do something else if posters are upsetting you here?

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

Possibly, but then one of my daughters who has broadband and lives in the same town as I do, did receive a paper copy, whereas my other two daughters, who also live in the same town as me and have broadband, didn't receive a paper copy. I didn't receive a paper copy either.
    It isn't done at the individual level.

So if only 45% of the people in an area have broadband, regardless of whether you are in the 45% or not, it is cheaper for the census people to just give every household in that area a paper copy of the census rather than dealing with individual households.

However if you are in an area with 85% of the households have broadband, then if you are one who doesn't have it, it is cheaper for the census people to only give you a paper copy if you ring them up and ask for one.

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    The tin foil hats come out every decade for the census. As someone who has been digging around my family tree, census records have been really useful.
    Agreed, although I've gone back to 1695 on my wife's side without the use of the census. However that was relatively straightforward, as we have family records dating from the 1750's. She may be related to the actor John Simm and the Lever (soap) family.

I've gone back to 1805 using census records and a relative has gone back to the middle of the 17th century having started using the census entries. Apparently, there is some issue with following the trail where individuals were non conformists, but I've not been able to establish what the issue is though.

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

They do have statistics of broadband take up by postcode. So it makes sense to only give some areas paper copies, and not bother with others where most people have broadband.
    Possibly, but then one of my daughters who has broadband and lives in the same town as I do, did receive a paper copy, whereas my other two daughters, who also live in the same town as me and have broadband, didn't receive a paper copy. I didn't receive a paper copy either.

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by MrC View Post

Not sure about IR35 but it definitely seemed to be overreaching it's scope. Started asking questions about the heating system in my home. Surely census is about people and even then I thought it was really just counting, gender and ages.

I'm super wary this is all a part of a giant gov led profiling exercise being carried out in the background...
    Interesting take on the questions regarding knowledge of Welsh, which I guess won't appear outside Wales. There used to be questions along the lines of rudimentary, competent and fluent, but not this time. I would guess that many would give negative answers now and such entries would be taken as non Welsh speakers and thus a distorted picture might emerge. Such answers could very well influence government policy in the future.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X