• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Now India is banning vaccine exports"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

So does that mean they've open season to keep anything they need? Clothes, electronics, you name it. Anything the country is lacking in they can now step in and halt distribution to suit themselves?

And it isn't going to the poor. It's going to everyone in the population, not specifically the poor so stop with the 'they are poor then need it more' line. You could argue the really poor aren't in the system to receive it anyway so I'd be willing to bet the better off will be making use of this.
    Its what the British Empire is frequently accused of doing, maybe we will get a decent train & justice service in return?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

If its going to actual poor and at risk in India then they need it more. If as I expect it on reflection it goes to the rich it is bad.

Lots of lessons will be learnt about globalisation and nationalist behaviour from this pandemic.
    So does that mean they've open season to keep anything they need? Clothes, electronics, you name it. Anything the country is lacking in they can now step in and halt distribution to suit themselves?

And it isn't going to the poor. It's going to everyone in the population, not specifically the poor so stop with the 'they are poor then need it more' line. You could argue the really poor aren't in the system to receive it anyway so I'd be willing to bet the better off will be making use of this.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

To effectively 'steal' it from another country just because it's manufactured there is a very slippery slope.
    If its going to actual poor and at risk in India then they need it more. If as I expect it on reflection it goes to the rich it is bad.

Lots of lessons will be learnt about globalisation and nationalist behaviour from this pandemic.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    Makes sense. Every nation wants to vaccinate its citizens first. To expect otherwise is foolish.
    To effectively 'steal' it from another country just because it's manufactured there is a very slippery slope.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
    I would sign a contract with another country to manufacture it (or hopefully do it all inside UK if capabilities exist)
    Thanks to wonders of unchecked globalisation I believe there is no other country that can make vaccines at similar scale/cost - it’s telling that UK is getting some vaccine from there too, and why not - “inventing iPhone” is the real work, actually making it is low end business that’s somebody else’s problem

Leave a comment:

• jayn200
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    Makes sense. Every nation wants to vaccinate its citizens first. To expect otherwise is foolish.
    Sure... but this isn't a vaccine India developed. They are just manufacturing it. They aren't thinking long term about this. I wouldn't let them manufacture the next one if in a similar situation in the future. I would sign a contract with another country to manufacture it (or hopefully do it all inside UK if capabilities exist)

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
    Globalisation. The gift that just keeps giving.
    Unless someone thinks they need it more.

Leave a comment:

• TwoWolves
    replied
    Globalisation. The gift that just keeps giving.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    **** that. For some obscure reason over the last year we've given them £98 million to stimulate growth despite them heading for one of the top economies over the world, let alone the money we've given in foreign aid for christ knows how long.

The fact it's produced there is a benefit to them. They can't be stealing the products for themselves just because they fancy it. We didn't keep our money because our needs mean we should have spent it here so why this. I can't believe there is more of an uproar over this.

******* disgrace it is.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    started a topic Now India is banning vaccine exports

Now India is banning vaccine exports

Actually I sort of support this , their need is most definitely greater than ours. They are manufacturing under licence so its not like we are providing massive support. They are apparently shipping to other poor countries which we don't seem to be doing.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-factory.html

India prioritises 'its own needs': Delhi accused of causing one-month UK vaccine delay by stopping export of 5m AstraZeneca doses and there could be MORE shortfalls - but ministers insist it WON'T delay end of lockdown
    • Serum Institute of India has been told it must supply its own citizens before exporting vaccines
    • One batch of five million doses of the AstraZeneca jab bound for the UK has been delayed by a month
    • Ministers insist the UK is 'still on track' to hit April and July targets, and people due a second dose will get one
    • But hiccup means plans to expand jabs to under-50s have been put on ice until May at the earliest
    Maybe we should ramp up production in the UK and sell jabs at £10 a go to the EU etc who will suffer.

Working...
X