• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "You will NOT like this one bit"

Collapse

• hairymouse
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    The science behind butt implants
    That reminds me of a flight where I ended up sitting next to the UK's butt implant king. He made a fortune doing it as a plastic surgeon. The most interesting bit was when I asked him how they deal with the "bandages off" moment after a nose job to influence the patient to like what they see. He said they often give them drugs first to make sure the patients are in a good mood!

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I like New Scientist, but I have noticed that the number of substantial content pages (as opposed to advert pages) have been steadily dwindling over recent years.

The migration of research appointment ads to online from hardcopy publications must be hitting them hard, unfortunately, and may be a terminal blow.
    Allegedly they make most of their £70M from subscriptions so it would be unwise to mess with that. Maybe having someone who understands science would be handy for the Wail?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    I like New Scientist, but I have noticed that the number of substantial content pages (as opposed to advert pages) have been steadily dwindling over recent years.

The migration of research appointment ads to online from hardcopy publications must be hitting them hard, unfortunately, and may be a terminal blow.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    So the i and Metro have been ruined by the DM owning them?

The slaver seems to be going fine.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Yes
    Where is Zeity when you need 'them'?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    Is Kim Kardasian (sp?) an alien?

Yes

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    I used to be a subscriber, back when I was in college. Haven't read it in a long time but I did always like their reporting style as it was a more accessible but respectable way to access trends in science.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    The science behind butt implants
    How scientists analyse Love Island contestants
    Is Kim Kardasian (sp?) an alien?

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    Now we will know how much scientists houses cost

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Playboys on the other hand...

Leave a comment:

• GJABS
    replied
    Oh, New Scientists!

My father, who was a physicist, collects them. The house was full of them, as he is a hoarder. They "might be worth something" he always said.

But I found out they weren't worth anything. They have no resale value.

An elegent solution was for me to pretend to sell them in bulk on Ebay, using my mate's Ebay account as the seller, and my account as the "buyer".

It worked, and I was able to offload literally a metric tonne of that wretched paper to the local dump, generating a cash sum "profit" that I gave my Dad. Paper, yes, but much less voluminous.

But my mate, seeing the opportunity to make a bit of money, got a third guy to bid the thing up to £500 knowing that I would always bid against him!

(ok that last line is a lie. But he could have done it! )
    Last edited by GJABS; 3 March 2021, 09:45.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Oh feck.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    started a topic You will NOT like this one bit

You will NOT like this one bit

https://www.ft.com/content/44a8b2e5-...a-e0b69bc5e63b (paywall nonsense)

DMGT, the owner of the Daily Mail, has branched into scientific publishing by buying the title New Scientist from a group of investors for £70m in cash. The publication has a weekly circulation of about 120,000 copies, about half of which is in the UK. New Scientist derives about three-quarters of its revenue from subscriptions. The business is forecast to generate operating profit of about £7m this year, with sales exceeding £20m. The publication showcases the “best of science journalism”, Lord Rothermere, chairman of DMGT, said on Wednesday in a statement.
    What a shame!

Working...
X