• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: yorkshire accents

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "yorkshire accents"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I have two accents. English for foreigners so the locals can understand me and South Yorkshire - specifically Barnsley.

Leave a comment:

• Gould The Swimmer
    replied
    I love how Bill Bryson in Notes From a Small Island referred to Yorkshire people as sounding as if they'd learned English in a language lab with each syllable completely over emphasised.

(on refection that could have been Paul Theroux in Little Kingdom By The Sea)

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

A very good friend of mine is from Goole way.
    Ladymuck likes Goolies.. Who knew

Thankfully in 1972 we were able to kick them out of West Yorkshire and in to Humberside.

You can tell your friend you also know a proper Yorkshire bloke as well
    Last edited by northernladuk; 2 March 2021, 22:55.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    MODS can you alter the title please. It's racist and offensive. There is no East Yorkshire. There is the East Ridings of Yorkshire which is not really Yorkshire anyway. I mean, it's got bloody Hull in it fer christsakes. And don't get me going about them Goolies either. Who the hell wants to sound like they are from bleedin Hull?!??!

When they ask him who gave his machine it's accent and he says some Goolies..

A recent scientific study found that Hull, Bridlington etc is no where near Leeds so cannot be in Yorkshire.

Poor lad needs a proper Yorkshire accent, like one from the back streets of Leeds. Not Hull, or Beverly or Goole.

Do hope they set him up with what he wants though. That would be just proper raht good that would.
    A very good friend of mine is from Goole way.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    That said, a proper Yorkshire accent is a curse. Not a single bloody speech activated device understands it. Everytime my other half or son buys something voice activated it's just another piece of crap I can't use.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    MODS can you alter the title please. It's racist and offensive. It's EAST YORKHIRE they are talking about. An just to note, there isn't really an East Yorkshire. There is the East Ridings of Yorkshire which is not really Yorkshire anyway. I mean, it's got bloody Hull in it fer christsakes. And don't get me going about them Goolies either. Who the hell wants to sound like they are from bleedin Hull?!??!

I mean.. the article is in the Humberside section of the news. Not Yorkshire

When they ask him who gave his machine it's accent and he says some Goolies..

A recent scientific study found that Hull, Bridlington etc is no where near Leeds so cannot be in Yorkshire.

Poor lad needs a proper Yorkshire accent, like one from the back streets of Leeds, or from the moors of Ilkley. Not Hull, or Beverly or Goole.

Do hope they set him up with what he wants though. That would be just proper raht good that would.
    Last edited by northernladuk; 2 March 2021, 22:56.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    An excellent project. Lad.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    That would take several hours of recording all the sound patterns but how cool would the end result be! I hope people come forward to help out.

Leave a comment:

• jainnode
    started a topic yorkshire accents

yorkshire accents

A chance for some good to be done in yorkshire:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-56253739

Working...
X