• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "UK scientists call for debate on allowing ‘big wave of infection’"

Collapse

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Covid has an R rate of 3.

The flu pandemic of 1918 the average R rate was 1.8 while seasonal flu is about 1.2

The R rate of measles in a population with no immunity is 15.
    What about R of Kent variant, must be 4+ if bog standard Covid is 3.

10% instant drop-dead mortality won’t slow down such virus, considering we already had such coronaviruses and that they mutate a lot if allowed to spread it follows that things can get real deadly anytime in the future if position of “let’s just live with the plague” is adopted

Leave a comment:

• mattster
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    There's a trade off between lethality and contagiousness. Corpses don't spread disease. It's been good at spreading because we have no immunity at all. Our bodies are fighting off viruses all the time. Mostly we don't notice.
    There are still plenty of diseases with both higher R and higher lethality than Covid, so its certainly possible. Smallpox was horrendous, with an R0 of 5 and mortality of 30%. I wonder how much better we would be at treating it these days? Hopefully we won't have to find out.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Lethality could be “just” 10% - that won’t slow down virus if has got R=2, or 3 like SARS-2 seems to have (without mitigations)

SARS-1/MERS (also coronaviruses) had lethality like 30-40%, they were only stopped with heavy mitigations.
    Covid has an R rate of 3.

The flu pandemic of 1918 the average R rate was 1.8 while seasonal flu is about 1.2

The R rate of measles in a population with no immunity is 15.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Lethality could be “just” 10% - that won’t slow down virus if has got R=2, or 3 like SARS-2 seems to have (without mitigations)

SARS-1/MERS (also coronaviruses) had lethality like 30-40%, they were only stopped with heavy mitigations.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    Now now, every debate has limits. Don't play down manflu , it's a very serious and very real condition. I don't go around mocking childbirth.
    Neither do I. When MrsBP got pregnant she put a beach ball where the sun doesn't shine and inflated it just to make me have empathy...

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    We need to kill off as many old white males as possible particularly in developed countries. Some of them are just so damn expensive to keep living....
    Can we just kill those with an orange tinge?

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Corpses do spread disease, just not the one we're currently talking about

There's a reason all cultures put the dead somewhere separate from the living, at least until all the squishy bits have gone.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    ...what would stop SARS-2 from evolving into more lethal version? ...
    My point is that Covid is far deadlier than the flu, and spreads better (even before new variants).
    There's a trade off between lethality and contagiousness. Corpses don't spread disease. It's been good at spreading because we have no immunity at all. Our bodies are fighting off viruses all the time. Mostly we don't notice.

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    You forgot men and their terrible man flu sufferings. I just don't know how the poor lambs cope.
    It's not man 'flu. It's man cold. And it's very serious. More painful than childbirth. You may scoff, but you'll never experience a man cold.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    "LONDON — British government scientists are increasingly finding the coronavirus variant first detected in Britain to be linked to a higher risk of death than other versions of the virus, a devastating trend that highlights the serious risks and considerable uncertainties of this new phase of the pandemic."

Coronavirus Live News and Updates - The New York Times

But it should be ok in 100 years, maybe!

Leave a comment:

• DonaldJTrump
    replied
    We need to kill off as many old white males as possible particularly in developed countries. Some of them are just so damn expensive to keep living....
    If I said something similar for young black males to reduce crime waves there would be uproar

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    That's God for the invention of Life Insurance!

Leave a comment:

• Scoobos
    replied
    You forgot men and their terrible man flu sufferings. I just don't know how the poor lambs cope.
    Now now, every debate has limits. Don't play down manflu , it's a very serious and very real condition. I don't go around mocking childbirth.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    That's God for the invention of Life Insurance!
    Last edited by AtW; 13 February 2021, 22:47.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
    I suspect it will be more like within 5 years.

And dont underesimtate common colds:

"a cold can also have more severe symptoms in the very young and the very old. Older people are more likely to develop a more serious infection compared with adults or older children.

Another group of people who are more severely affected by infection with cold-causing viruses are people with an existing lung condition. They can include people with asthma, cystic fibrosis or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Infection with a virus that causes inflammation of the airways can make breathing much harder"

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
    I suspect it will be more like within 5 years.
    Are you prepared to bet your life on it?

Boris sure is.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X