• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "How will 'chipageddon' affect you?"

Collapse

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post

Whoohoo!

BGG got wind that Overclockers were getting a shipment in, so got 2 on order late Friday evening, and today they have arrived !
    and because I am not a scalper I have cancelled my order with Scan

let the great build commence ?

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    Still no motherboard
    scan are now saying May!

I don’t suppose anyone has 2x ASUS Dark Heroes lying around?
    Whoohoo!

BGG got wind that Overclockers were getting a shipment in, so got 2 on order late Friday evening, and today they have arrived !
    and because I am not a scalper I have cancelled my order with Scan

let the great build commence ?

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Not sure if i could fit my graphics card in that TBH

Oh and there is a difference between need & want
    Absolutely there is! You could have a boring case or a Halo Jones custom special. I know which I'd rather have.

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post

You do realise there is no need for a giant PC like that now? Was a thing 10 years ago, but now a PC need be no bigger than this

Not sure if i could fit my graphics card in that TBH

Oh and there is a difference between need & want

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied

I did say it’s a bit OTT

Currently working on the LCD screen to go in the case to display temperature stats and the like
    You do realise there is no need for a giant PC like that now? Was a thing 10 years ago, but now a PC need be no bigger than this

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    Still no motherboard
    scan are now saying May!

I don’t suppose anyone has 2x ASUS Dark Heroes lying around?

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    Bah, motherboard now has an eta of 02.03.21

Staring at the empty case has made me notice that the top and front dust mesh is black... time to order some stainless steel 120 mesh & magnetic tape

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Yeah, and if when it's an imminent nuclear Armageddon, then how would you play your Tetris, with just 32 Gbits of RAM?

Tetris Ultimate System Requirements - Can I Run It? - PCGameBenchmark

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    If you're working in the cloud you need very little memory but a very good network, in fact a thin client is sufficient
    Yeah, and if when it's an imminent nuclear Armageddon, then how would you play your Tetris, with just 32 Gbits of RAM?

Last edited by AtW; 6 February 2021, 22:29.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    The '640K' quote won't go away -- but did Gates really say it? | Computerworld

If you're working in the cloud you need very little memory but a very good network, in fact a thin client is sufficient
    Originally posted by AtW View Post

That's amazing!

How do you do it with just 32 Gigabits of RAM?

Sent from my 5g carrier pigeon

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
    I have the same for cloud work but with 32Gb, unusual to need so much with wsl2 or Linux. I'm quite comfortably running Kubernetes with 30 pods & development tools.

That's amazing!

How do you do it with just 32 Gigabits of RAM?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Holy carp! A PC? That looks more like a cathedral organ!
    That's not a PC case. It's the Palace of Versailles!

Leave a comment:

• TwoWolves
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    How will '''chipageddon''' affect you? - BBC News

Just got 64GB for my brand new Dell XPS15. Slightly weird as we are cloud based. But developing the code that sits in the cloud takes quite a few resources.

Suck it up losers.....
    I have the same for cloud work but with 32Gb, unusual to need so much with wsl2 or Linux. I'm quite comfortably running Kubernetes with 30 pods & development tools.

Finding the i9 gets too hot quite a lot despite the large fans.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    It's part of the Aspiring Goddess's Halo Jones's Temple

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    I did say it’s a bit OTT

Currently working on the LCD screen to go in the case to display temperature stats and the like

Leave a comment:

Working...
X