• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Vaccine List

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Vaccine List"

Collapse

• mattster
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    Yes, my mum was a school nurse in the past and gave hundreds of vaccines. Most of the symptoms you get when you have an infection (viral or microbe) are actually caused by the immune response. Inflammation itself is caused by immune response. The raising of temperature makes you feel crap, but it is to slow down replication of the infective invaders as they are mostly 'tuned' to normal body temperature. Sometimes though it goes out of control as in the severe covid cases, the immune response causes irreparable inflammation in the lungs and that is what does for you.

Even with the SA variant the vaccine gives your immune system a head start so it can defeat the virus without resorting to a Cytokine storm, hence preventing severe illness.
    Yes, I understand all that, my point being that vaccines work by promoting an immune response to something that looks a lot like the virus (to the immune system), triggering production of antibodies. Hence it is not unexpected - and in fact it is a good sign - if you feel a bit crap for a few days after the shot, since this can be an indicator that your immune system has been triggered, which is exactly what you want to happen after getting a vaccination.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by mattster View Post
    Is it not the case that some "flu like" symptoms after the jab are simply indicative of a strong immune response? i.e. actually a good sign that something is happening to your immune system post-jab, and entirely to be expected. I wouldn't have thought the medics would be that interested in side-effects like these, moreso in things like an unexpected allergic reaction.
    Yes, my mum was a school nurse in the past and gave hundreds of vaccines. Most of the symptoms you get when you have an infection (viral or microbe) are actually caused by the immune response. Inflammation itself is caused by immune response. The raising of temperature makes you feel crap, but it is to slow down replication of the infective invaders as they are mostly 'tuned' to normal body temperature. Sometimes though it goes out of control as in the severe covid cases, the immune response causes irreparable inflammation in the lungs and that is what does for you.

Even with the SA variant the vaccine gives your immune system a head start so it can defeat the virus without resorting to a Cytokine storm, hence preventing severe illness.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by mattster View Post
    Is it not the case that some "flu like" symptoms after the jab are simply indicative of a strong immune response? i.e. actually a good sign that something is happening to your immune system post-jab, and entirely to be expected. I wouldn't have thought the medics would be that interested in side-effects like these, moreso in things like an unexpected allergic reaction.
    They are after what data they can get. It is useful to know how common these are.

Leave a comment:

• mattster
    replied
    Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    I had the Pfizer. Side effects were clearly evident and lasted 5 days.

Headaches - felt like a too tight crash helmet (3 occasions)
    Lightheadedness / Dizziness (1 occasion, after 2 days)
    Visual migraine (4 occasions in 5 days - I haven't had 4 of them in the last 2 years).

Sore arm wasn't a side effect, but expected.

I'd have it again (Pfizer), in the blink of an eye.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I did have a look at the that, but when I asked my GP practice the GP didn't offer any counsel.
    Fill a yellow card in yourself. You have sufficient education if you can write on here.

While GPs and other healthcare staff are suppose to do it they don't have the time.

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Did you report the side effects? There's the yellow card system that anyone can use to report medicine side effects. It's well worth doing as it all helps towards building up information about how people react.

Yellow Card Scheme - MHRA
    I did have a look at the that, but when I asked my GP practice the GP didn't offer any counsel.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    it seems that the places where they can store the vaccine at -70 degrees like hospitals they are giving pfizer vaccine
    and everyone else is getting oxford astrazeneca.
    No, GPs are doing it too. One of our local ones is dishing it out. A friend got given her pfizer jab by a dentist.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied

Visual migraine (4 occasions in 5 days - I haven't had 4 of them in the last 2 years).

Did you report the side effects? There's the yellow card system that anyone can use to report medicine side effects. It's well worth doing as it all helps towards building up information about how people react.

Yellow Card Scheme - MHRA

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    Originally posted by ronkeen View Post
    Is the government paying you to experiment on you. Oh wait yes.
    Do me a favour, please? Read the Science - it has been rigorously tested. If you don't believe in it, spend a day in your local Primary Care hospital.

If you think that it is some government conspiracy, then I have no words. Who is benefiting from the pandemic?

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    it seems that the places where they can store the vaccine at -70 degrees like hospitals they are giving pfizer vaccine
    and everyone else is getting oxford astrazeneca.

Leave a comment:

• ronkeen
    replied

Is the government paying you to experiment on you. Oh wait yes.

Leave a comment:

• silent bob
    replied
    I had the AstraZeneca one on Friday, so just hope I don't come into contact with the South Africa version then!
    Felt a bit shivery and lousy for a day or so. Nothing a few paracetamol couldn't take care of.

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Lots of stories about the South African variant in the UK press, quite surprised they haven't picked up this little story about the British variant. Even though all the people had their second jab on the 25th January, 14 residents of an old peoples home still got the British variant albeit asymptomatic so they may have caught it between the 1st and 2nd jabs:

Britische Corona-Variante: 14 Geimpfte positiv getestet - ZDFheute

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Cheers. I found the "yes get it anyway" info but not ideas on if it would worsen side-effects. Nothing to suggest you shouldn't get yourself jabbed but interesting.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X